1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bring Parent To School Day

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by GuessWho, May 14, 2019.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

It has been revealed to staff that shortly parents of S1 pupils will be spending a morning in school.
    Arrangements are not clear but it appears that this could involve shadowing of classes.
    Would I be right to assume that such visits to classrooms should only take place if that particular teacher has agreed to be observed by a parent?

2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

It's making a big assumption, isn't it, that all pupils have parents?

It's difficult to see the purpose of this exercise. If there is one, the purpose will be quoted as something woolly like "trying to engage parents". If so, how is the success of this measured? Will its success or otherwise even be considered, other than the HT or similar saying they thought that went well at the end of the day? Or, as I think we all know, is this "initiative" just another fashionable "new" thing to make it appear schools are innovating, improving etc?

Wouldn't it be better to try to improve the number of parents turning up at Parents' Night or taking an active participation in their children's education? Otherwise, a morning in school is just tokenism.

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

That is potentially a lot of parents/guardians! How would the logistic of it work?

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Parents/guardians/foster parents/who ever else are probably covered in the catch all "parents".

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  5. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Established commenter

Probably, but it will depend on your local agreement - there should be one on monitoring/observations. Our local agreement does not permit any other classroom teacher (of the same level) to observe a lesson without consent

I wouldn't have them near my class. That's why we have parents nights.. Schools are not drop in centres

MilkyBar Kid likes this.
  6. bigjimmy2

I would imagine the visits won't be classified as observations.

7. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Established commenter

That's even better then. You don't have to let them near your class.

Your observations policy determines who crosses your classroom threshold.

8. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

That's a lot of visitor badges to issue and people to keep track of for a whole morning. If there's a good turn out, how will they all fit into the classrooms alongside the S1 pupils? It could easily become a health and safety issue in a science lab.

bigjimmy2 and catmother like this.
  9. alendra

alendra New commenter

Thinking of my S1, just having 20 of them in a science lab is enough of a health and safety issue at times, without adding parents into the mix as well.

Marisha likes this.
  10. beharder

beharder Occasional commenter

There is no way the school i work at would sanction this. The school does all it can to keep the level of indiscipline and violence a secret to the outside world. Parents seeing pupils throwing punches at teachers(fact) and returning to school the next day would not go down well.

bigjimmy2 and MilkyBar Kid like this.
  11. bigjimmy2

I think you work at my school, bh. The level of outright corruption at this dump would shame the Mafia.

12. bigjimmy2

I think only a handful of parents would turn up for this ridiculous exercise. Think how many turn up for Parents' Night. Many of those who do just want to hear how "nice" their child is. I've been saying for years too many parents don't actually care a jot about their own children.