1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bring Geography alive... linking schools across the UK.....

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sdellar, Dec 20, 2011.

1. I was wondering whether anyone had any ideas or would like to join in a project that I have the foundation ideas for....?
    I have recently become the geography co-ordinator in school and ive been asked to contribute to the school development plan when we get back after Christmas....
    I've had some ideas as im trying to get Geography taught a little more pro avtively in school..
    Something I was thinking of doing is linking schools around the world, although I think ill start with schools around the UK.
    The idea is that the children could write to each other and find about the loacality of the schools and find out how parts of the UK are very similar/different. They can send pictures/photographs of surrounding areas?
    Has anyone tried this before or would anyone be interested in linking schools???
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thank you.
    Sophie

2. I was wondering whether anyone had any ideas or would like to join in a project that I have the foundation ideas for....?
    I have recently become the geography co-ordinator in school and ive been asked to contribute to the school development plan when we get back after Christmas....
    I've had some ideas as im trying to get Geography taught a little more pro avtively in school..
    Something I was thinking of doing is linking schools around the world, although I think ill start with schools around the UK.
    The idea is that the children could write to each other and find about the loacality of the schools and find out how parts of the UK are very similar/different. They can send pictures/photographs of surrounding areas?
    Has anyone tried this before or would anyone be interested in linking schools???
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thank you.
    Sophie

3. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

I think this is a great idea! It would be good to get a group of schools from different regions who would be willing to put together a small pack about their local area (eg photos of surrounding buildings, houses, fields, hills etc) which could then be sent on to other schools or swapped (eg a city for a village etc). I would be interested in doing this - I'm with a mixed Year 1 and 2 class in a small village school.

4. oh excellent - my school is on the fringe of London so would be a great contrast to your school! I currrently have a year 4 class. I don't think mixed year groups will be a problem because the teachers can just adapt it accordingly :)
    Getting excited about it now :)

5. comenius

comenius New commenter

I'd be interested too - I teach in Blackpool!

6. excellent - a seaside town! :)

7. City in West Yorkshire - Y6 - fab!!

8. Hi I am the Geography co- ordinator at our school and I really like the idea of this. I teach in Southend Essex, near the seside and town :)

9. lucye

lucye New commenter

We are situated in a small village in Surrey and would like to get involved. We have linked previously on small projects with schools overseas, through epals.

10. Hi
    I teach in a school near Lakeside shopping centre and Tilbury docks. Think this is a fab idea.

11. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

I teach in a very large primary school in a small town in Wiltshire and I think this is a great idea.

12. tonymillar

tonymillar New commenter

Sophie,

You have come up with a great idea and think that I can possibly help you quickly and easily achieve your goal of connecting schools by providing a free online system linking schools from around the UK (an initial group of around 20 maybe) . We could probably get you up and running within a few weeks, so could be tried out early next term. There certainly appears to be no shortage of schools that you could link with

I have listed a few thoughts below of what it may do and I would welcome any further feedback.

A system which provides a school with connections to other schools which have similar or completely different points of interest relating to their school.

Each school completes a quick website registration form, provides a quick list of students or student groups within the class who will be communicating and provides points of interest relating to their school such as near a beach, situated in small village, rural schools etc.

Each registered school then searches for other schools which have either similar or completely different points of interest and requests a link to that school.

Once the link is established a timeframe is agreed between each school for an interactive discussion blog which can be done live or over a number of days.

The school loads up the website on each computer which lists their pre-setup students or student groups.

The teacher then discusses with the students the point of the exercise that schools in the UK are not always so similar to their own such as locality, surroundings, points of interest. The teacher asks the students what questions would they ask the other school students about their school - perhaps suggesting some good ones.

The students or student groups click their name on the list and raises a question which they would like to know about the other school. The students can upload photos or other attachments which supports their question for example "as you can see in the picture...."

The other school also does the same exercise and when questions are raised for the other school, the student groups or individual students answer the questions raised from the other school and can upload photos or attachments which supports their answer.

Interaction between the students of each school can be viewed and moderated by each teacher before it is posted live on the website

Following the session the teacher can accumulate the best questions and answers into a school information a pack which they can display on the website for other schools to promote future sessions.
    A system which provides a school with connections to other schools which have similar or completely different points of interest relating to their school.

This has the making of a very exciting project. You can contact me directly at tony@resike.co.uk

Tony

13. WOW Sophie,

What an amazing idea - linking schools, sharing ideas and the possibly of doing it in real time online. I would love to see this in operation. So obvious, but I have never seen anything like it. Lets hope you can make it happen

14. Tony, thank you so much for your message - it sounds great!
    One issue that might be raised with the online system is the individual names. I'm not sure that with the safeguarding issues surrounding schools and children that this will be a secure enough system to ensure the safety of all the children in the class.
    I would be interested in setting up pages though for seperate schools to put information about their surrounding areas and then schools/classes/individual children can write to the schools they want to find out more about.
    I'm so pleased with the feedback i've been given - it's been something i've been thinking about for a while but I wasn't sure if it was an idea I was getting carried away with in my head and not somthing which could actually happen!
    I look forward to hearing your ideas and hopefully creating something really exciting!!
    Kind Regards
    Sophie

15. Another Blackpool school. I would be very interested in this project

16. I would be interested too. We have signed up to Oddizzi which is trying to do a similar thing. I have requested a link with a school in China as we are studying it next term but have had no response. This idea might work better.
    I am in a large junior school in Surrey

17. Thank you so much everyone for your responses - its been really great to see people are enthusiastic about this project.
    Could you please all email me your name, school name, list of possible classes that are interested in the project and the area of the country your schools is in so that we can get this project started off for next term.
    My email address is sophiedellar15@hotmail.com.
    I look forward to hearing from you
    Sophie

18. It would also be really exciting to link schools throughout the country which will have Olympic facilities near them. This unique experience has got to be loaded with learning opportunities - you could even have a separate Olympic section?

19. Thanks to all those who have emailed me - your details have been noted and ill be in touch with more details soon

Sophie

20. Sophie,
    have pm'd you!