1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bring back the cane?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by crysys, Jun 11, 2011.

1. crysys

crysys Occasional commenter

Well - would you?

2. Is this a serious post?
    I suggest you try this one over on opinion.

3. Would I hit someones child with a stick because I could find absolutely no other way to communicate with them to resolve the aspect of their attitude or behaviour that is so heinous?
    NO.
    You would only add further anger, frustration and bitterness into the mix for that young individual, alongside whatever is the underlying cause of their poor behaviour. What about the children who's behaviour is an expression of a troubled home life, for whom school is a sanctuary. Do we remove this safe environment, and made it another where they encounter violence?
    What would you hope to achieve?

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Let's see...an fully grown adult hitting a physically far weaker child with a weapon, to prove a point...
    Would advocates of the cane or any other form of physical discipline also advocate sorting out disputes with other adults in a violent manner?
    Say, if someone spilled your pint and didn't apologise, you might glass them? Or if someone laughed at your idea in a staff meeting, you might belt them with a metre stick?
    Already given the question too much consideration - a ludicrous question that is no doubt intended purely to inflame.

5. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

If you feel the need to hit a child with a cane then why not just hit them with your fists. Schools are under budget constraints, they can't afford to buying new equipment.

6. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

See above, re. metre sticks. More leverage than with a cane as well.

7. I don't like you.

8. Why would the cane be needed?

9. Surely a wind up?

10. crysys

crysys Occasional commenter

Thank you all for responding to this thread. I apologise if it came across as inflammatory or flippant. I was curious as to today's thinking from colleagues immersed in the challenging behaviours we are constantly facing, that is all. I will, of couse, seriously consider submitting any future questions.