1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bring back corporal punishment campaign

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Captain Carwash, Mar 31, 2008.

1. I would suggest that the parents should pay for their children s mistakes.A nice fine is an effective reminder that they should raise better their children before sending them in a social system,such as school.Teachers are not policemen.

2. And throwing rubbers around the classroom isn't a crime.

3. ellenlilymay

ellenlilymay New commenter

This has also been posted in the Supply Teaching category. I apologise for the length. To share with you all my atrocious day in supply teaching recently.
    In the first period a year 9 came in 15 mins late chewing gum and intermittently looking at his phone. Failed to do any work, riling the rest of the class. Soon things were increasingly difficult to manage and very little work was done. I called to have this child removed but was told I hadn't gone through the 3-stage disciplinary, that of course no-one had explained to me having shoved into my hand a 150-page document I was supposed to read before the lesson, having been marched straight to my class. Other lessons followed culminating in the final lesson in which it completely fell apart. One kid arrived again 15 mins late, doing the goose step to the hilarity of the class. In a nutshell he refused to do work, ending up with me calling out for SMT/SLT support which NEVER CAME. Instead I had to grab another teacher out of her class but every time she tried to remove him he ran SCREAMING around the room, and outside where he proceeded to look through the glass window and pull faces at the kids. He then managed to get back into my classroom where he began hurling abuse at myself and the other teacher who'd popped in to help again. Again, no SMT/SLT attendance. Eventually at the end of the lesson his group of friends were held back and he made a rush for the door. When she shut it to stop him escaping he accused her of touching him inappropriately - obviously I kept well clear. This is the kind of behaviour which is typical of supply teaching. At my age I am not able to find permanent work and this is a last resort but despite 25 years' teaching experience I am considering going for temporary admin roles instead. My daughter additionally has had atrocious experiences in Primary!!

pepper5 likes this.
  4. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

How about the old three strikes and you are out system.

Student gets 3 warnings in class, further disruption gets them ejected and sent home for the day, parents called in to remove offender from school, not allowed back unless a behaviour contract is in place.

Student gets removed from class 3 times, fixed term exclusion, social services and local authority get involved, mental health professionals at the meeting to discuss the future of the offender.

Three fixed term exclusions leads to permanent exclusion.

I have seen various forms of this implemented in schools experiencing poor behaviour which all resulted in improved behaviour. Admittedly, the schools were not in Scotland.

Local authorities would need to buy into the program. That could be a problem in Scotland.

No strategy involving corporal punishment would ever be implemented.

caress likes this.
  5. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

The management of this school are disregarding basic health and safety rules. Report the above to the local health and safety executive exactly as you have stated above. The hse then have a legal obligation to investigate.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/riddor/index.htm

You could try going to a union but that rarely improves anything.

6. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I'm not massively against corporal punishment, and it was administered to me at school

However, it has its time and place. It doesn't fit into our current culture. And there is a very narrow window where it is effective anyway. Below 4 is cruel. Above 10 and the amount you have to hurt a child to actually be a deterrent becomes assault.

Mild, controlled physical chastisement between those ages administered by a loving parent as the last resort of a structured discipline policy, I support that.

Not in schools though. As I said, it doesn't fit into our ethos anyway. But telling a teacher to hit a child is unacceptable. For the teacher as well as the child. It can't be up to the teacher who to hit, it needs to be a policy. Imagine some random child turning up in your room because they have been sent for you to hit.

caress and pepper5 like this.
  7. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

what age cant you find permanent work? Age is no barrier around us. (London) This year we have many new teachers in their 50s and 60s

pepper5 likes this.
  8. chris1729

chris1729 New commenter

The idea of having corporal punishment in any school makes me feel almost physically sick. I find the idea so offensive that I think people who are in favour of it should have a serious think about whether they're right to work in the teaching profession.

The worst behaved kids have often had the worst start in life. Getting slightly hit by a teacher would mean nothing to them; well, that's not quite true: it would reinforce the message they've been hearing all their lives: "I'm worthless".

9. chris1729

chris1729 New commenter

Wish I'd never replied to this thread now. The website quoted does not advocate bringing back corporal punishment: that term is just used as clickbait.

10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The thread is over 10 years old, the OP hasn't been seen on TES since 2008, and no-one had posted on it since 2010 until someone (inadvertently I assume) posted here last month about something completely different.

The website linked in post #3 back in 2008 is still there but appears to be long abandoned.

However, rather topically their "Ridiculous PC nonsense" page has this item from 2006 about Boris Johnson! [The link in it no longer works so posting a screenshot]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    chris1729 likes this.