1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bring back corporal punishment campaign

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Captain Carwash, Mar 31, 2008.

1. As I say, you want to pick and choose who you're paid to teach.
    Have you forgotten Philip Lawrence? He was murdered. Funny you - crusader for a better society - should forget the one example of a teacher who has been murdered while bleating that teachers might get murdered.
    Six months? I'll bet nurses and police officers who you so scurrilously maligned would love to have had this little disruption in six months. I had to deal with a lot more than that as an AHT, and I never thought to pity myself above my partner, who was a nurse.
    Funny. Students, in anonymous evaluations, have consistently rated my input on behaviour management with a 94+% satisfaction rating for the past six years. They find it the most helpful input they have on their PGDE courses. Mmm... were you off that day, aldo? Or was the cr+p you expound learned elsewhere, in another time?

2. Have you asked them to evaluate your input after they've been teaching for 5 years? ;)

3. Aldo1983

Aldo1983 New commenter

4. Eh? Of course after 5 years they've developed, moved on, found their own classroom philosophy. Do you believe everything that a teacher will learn during their career can or should be taught in a one year training course?
    Five years after passing your driving test, have you not noticed all the things you weren't taught by your instructor? And would it have been any help if you had been taught those things right at the beginning?
    Not a very good argument, mathsguy...

5. Do you think you have said one original thing in this debate? Do you think I haven't been through this utter tosh time and time again with the hang-em-flog-em brigade like you? You think that calling for the return of a discredited system of punishment banned twenty six years ago is some sort of new insight?
    I simply choose not to waste my time pandering to dinosaurs. I prefer to concentrate on the future, and work with the thousands of teachers who do indeed have effective arguments - and strategies - to handle young people.

6. It wasn't an argument, merely a question with a wink oh Great Raymondo. <bow>
    No need to be so defensive ;)

7. So you are choosing who to teach? Wasn't that a black mark against Aldo a few posts back?

9. Ray you are very emotively defensive. Has it not occured to you that Aldo could have been one of your former students? Also you advocate that we have to teach all pupils, no matter how horrific their behaviour as you can just say we are 'picking and choosing' otherwise; now you hope that Aldo is unemployed because you don't think he deserves employment because he disagrees with you; is that not 'picking and choosing' too? I think this attitude of yours in appalling Ray as you are a teacher trainer, you don't want pupils to be disciplined too harshly as you refer to it as 'hang 'em and flog 'em' what will happen to them now the poor wee souls. Surely you would not wish for a teacher what you do not wish for the pupils?

Also Ray you say that when you WERE a teacher you were a AHT, now that term really is a blast from the past.

Personally I would quite like to pick and choose my classes what teacher wouldn't?

10. Aldo1983

Aldo1983 New commenter

I did say I don't support a return to corporal punishment myself. There are ways to deal with the problem other than inflicting pain on children - I would go with those (i.e. the zero tolerance plan that I outlined).
    As for dinosaurs - history tells us that too long spent at one extreme always leads to a swing to the opposite extreme. People like you control things at present. But the backlash is coming - the dinosaurs will walk again ;o)

11. Aldo1983

Aldo1983 New commenter

I've seen it Ray - a classroom where a hard core of disruptive pupils just destroy everything. I've had classes like that myself (and, no, it's not because I'm rubbish - I use every method at my disposal to make things better). I've even had the better pupils look up at me in bewilderment and ask why they need to be in the same class as such ***. Now, as you're probably well aware, not many things get to me. I'm generally a tough customer. But the sight of a good kid begging for a decent education really haunts me. These kids don't even have the chance I had ten or fifteen years ago. The situation has worsened incredibly even since then.
    As for the eighty percent figure - I'd say it's bang on.

12. Aldo1983

Aldo1983 New commenter

I had to reread this a couple of times as I couldn't believe what I was seeing. So because you have to use corporal or capital punishment on a handful of people that means it has not been effective in deterring other people who would have gone on to commit similar acts? That argument is deeply flawed. Yes, there will always be some people who are too twisted or crazy to be deterred by such measures but the vast majority will be. After hanging was abolished in 1965 for example, the murder rate shot up immediately. Potential murderers would rather take the gamble of life in prison than run the risk of an encounter with Pierrepoint's noose. Eventually, of course, life in prison was taken to mean 15 years minus time for good behaviour and the situation got even more out of control.
    Hanging makes the streets safer. Corporal punishment brings calm to schools and allows them to be places of learning rather than nuthouses. In our maths base we have old books dating back to the 1950s entitled 'basic arithmetic for schools'. This stuff would fry kids' heads today. Why did pupils in the 1950s reach higher levels of academic achievement than the current generation?
    Answers on a postcard please.

13. Do you think that it will do the students any good? What about the ones that self harm anyway?
    Or the ones that see and experience violence in the home, or those with aspergers, or those
    with clinical depression, Or those (like myself) who had the cane shortly after losing my dad, a punishment that was, in my case definately unjustified. No, thanks, this is really not the solution. Get rid of and ban all the violent movies, programms, computer games...restrict and tighten up on the drinking laws like they do in Eygpt. Lets look at society before punishing the children for the things society shove down their throats.

14. Aldo1983

Aldo1983 New commenter

Sorry, but if I want to go out and see a horror movie and then spend hours in a pub getting paralytic then that's my business as an adult. I don't see why my freedoms as an adult should be even further restricted as a way of dealing with feral children. As it happens, I don't support the cane or the belt either. I think it definitely worked, no question - but once abandoned it was like opening a Pandora's box. We now can't go back the way. However, if we simply expelled all the troublesome children from our schools permanently then I think that would go a long way toward restoring the order and calm that once prevailed.

15. This is the first time I have read this forum, and really I have to laugh at those who just love the sound of their own voice, can't listen to others' points of view, and are generally just showing themselves up as really rather arrogant and unpleasant characters. This is the problem with internet forums - they give people a platform for their views that they would not otherwise have.
    So, what is so wrong with being polite? Surely in a forum about behaviour, politeness is a pre-requisite? It is still possible to exchange differing views without personal attacks.

16. Aldo1983

Aldo1983 New commenter

17. Yes it is changing the world, and not necessarily for the better. I think that people use the anonymity of forums to say things that they probably would not say face to face, or with their own name attached. I agree it is great that people have a voice, but surely it has to be used responsibly, with respect to others.

18. Aldo1983

Aldo1983 New commenter

Absolutely. 90% of the things I say on here I would not say to someone face to face (unless I knew them very well). Though I would say the main reason for that is because my views are simply not acceptable any more. People like me don't fit in with the 'grand plan'. We're shoved aside and called nutters, despite our views having been mainstream not so long ago.

19. lol!

What about unmarried fathers?

20. T34

T34 Established commenter

Agree.
    Raymagnol, you are coming across as a zealot. You are the one who has the truth, the one who has seen the light, and the others are the blind.