1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bring back corporal punishment campaign

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Captain Carwash, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Having just had a rough day in Supply where none NONE of the classes even came near to completing their tasks because of widespread disruption (in a couple of cases by a significant MAJORITY of pupils in the class), I read this with great interest. I will be keeping my eye on this thread - and on the campaign.

Interesting stuff!

2. impis

impis New commenter

Is there a link to this website?

3. "This looks new. A website that dares to say 'Bring back Corporal punishment.' "

Calls to bring back an outdated and morally reprehensible system of punishment that was abolished TEWNTY SIX years ago is "new"?

Get a life.

4. You are more likely to witness the restoration of the British Empire than the return of corporal punishment.

5. Ridiculous suggestion...

Someone going to tell me that a 5ft female teacher is going to bootstrap a 6ft teenager with a joop enfused haze?

Doubt it.

Discipline needs to start at home and reinforced at school... and with todays social standards?!?!?!

6. The teacher won't do any hitting. The proposal is:

"To reintroduce a SAFE and sensible monitored system of corporal punishment to be carried out only by a Head Teacher or authorised officer and subject to parental consent. Parents who disagree may opt out."

Also, it's not just about corporal punishment. It is about a seven-point plan to restore order in schools. The first measure is to abolish the warning system in secondary schools. No more warnings - the pupils know the rules.

see http://restoreorder.tripod.com/index.html

7. "Also, it's not just about corporal punishment."

So why call the thread "Bring back corporal punishment campaign"? D'oh!!

8. Ray, if you actually visit the site, you will see that Corey is right in saying that it's 'not JUST about corporal punishment'.

I'm making no comment about the corporal punishment aspect of the site (which you might consider has been named in a 'hasty' or 'illc-considered' manner) but I believe that their intention to do away with the system of issuing warnings is one that is worthy of consideration.

After all, all adults know the law of the land (hopefully) but cannot get away with the excuse that 'no one warned me' if they are found in breach of the law and have to go to court!

Why should school rules be any different?

9. Well, adults battering children is going to be the solution to all society's ills.

10. I agree with Captain Carwash. School rules should be very clear and nobody would be in any doubt about what the consequences would be for breaking them. I would definitely scrap the warning system.

11. Current methods ARE failing. In some schools, 80% of the lesson is being lost because of disruption. The warning system is unworkable. Proposal 1 is this:

'To abolish the warning system in secondary schools, except by discretion of the teacher. To introduce a two level ?standard? and ?serious? sanctions system that has immediate effect'

I think a simple whole class warning is enough. Two of these would be sufficient, for example, "I am now going to speak about X. No talking please." If anyone interrupts your precious speech, then a second warning is acceptable but thereafter punishment must ensue. The idea of warning each and every pupil twice is preposterous and laughable! It makes the teacher look weak and foolish! Scrap the warning system.

If there is an large increase in punishments, how would this be dealt with? Simple. Reintroduce 'lines' and extra work to be done at home. Pupils should be punished in their own time.

12. Totally agree with you Corey about the amount of class time wasted through disruption and through having to personally warn everyone at each stage. I often issue whole class warnings, but then there is always someone who 'hasn't heard' and insists on the whole rigmarole of check 1, check 2 ad nauseam.

It just wastes time and is a dispiriting waste of time for the teacher and for any pupils who do actually want to get an education.

For those who 'don't care' - and there seem to be quite a few, it is simply another tool with which to disrupt (and wind up the teacher, to boot!)

13. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

The answer is not about bringing back corporal punishment but about introducing separate provision outside mainstream for persistent disruption. Detention, punnies and letters home are a waste of time. Education should be viewed as a privilege and if you abuse it then you forfeit that privilege. With the advent of GLOW why can't the most disruptive pupils be educated online at home?

14. "In some schools, 80% of the lesson is being lost because of disruption."

How very specific of you. Where is the research you are quoting?

Or perhaps you are describing YOUR classroom, or you are you making this up off the top of your head...

15. Has it really come to this? Is discipline so bad that a child can escape punishment by saying, 'I didn't hear the warning'. Surely the correct response would be, 'Well you know the rules and you are punished for breaking them.' Yegods.

I think the most significant effect of the abolition of corporal punishment has been the erosion of teachers' authority and the lack of an effective replacement. It seems teachers are perceived (and even among themselves) as runny-nosed and ineffectual baby-sitters who might try and instil some 'knowledge' or 'skills' along the way. However, the surprisingly faulty grammar and spelling I have seen on this website testify to some of the shoddiness that pervades our educational system. Shame on those whose standards are so low!

16. post 17 -

"However, the surprisingly faulty grammar and spelling I have seen on this website testify to some of the shoddiness that pervades our educational system. Shame on those whose standards are so low! "

err, have you read the above sentence ?

A bit shoddy yourself, n'est pas?

17. It is completely inappropriate for state employees to hit children.

Discipline in schools is a major problem, and radical action is needed to make the system work. But violence is not the answer.

18. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

I am definitely against this and corporal punishment will never be re-introduced. We all have our own ideas about what does/doesn't work in the classroom - why not discuss those ideas and willing violence on the naughty ones; violence begets violence, and I know what I'm talking about.

19. sbf

sbf

I totaly agree with ditchung the warning system, what a waste of time. #just why are the pupils given a chance when the rules have been spelled out to them without exception.

I think i feel a wee experiment coming in fir the next 2 weeks. No warnings just action..