1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brilliant literacy lesson for a year 5 class

Discussion in 'English' started by KJFletcher, May 1, 2010.

1. I have an interview in an outstanding school on Tuesday, and I need to teach an outstanding Literacy lesson to a Year 5 class.

The class are between levels 3 to 5, and it needs to be differentiated.

Other than that, I can teach what I like.

I'm thinking of something to do with the election. Any ideas?

2. I really like your idea of doing something related to the election. The only thing is that it would cry out for a debate as the main part of the lesson and I wouldn't be too sure about risking that with kids you don't know. How about focusing on an issue relevant to the children such as the abolition of SATs testing at KS2 which is also very current? Now, level 3 to level 5 is quite a big range. Differentiation is, as you rightly say, key to your success. I like to do a very simple starter activity which everyone can access. It is easiest if you do a handout for this incorporating pictures, colour if possible. Nice big, clear font of course (comic sans 14 plus) - one of the easiest things is to base it on up to three key words. Using picture cues/clues have a gap fill dictionary activity to get the definitions. Next get feedback and use this as a launch pad for a fairly short zappy class discussion. Move quickly on to the main activity - I would aim this at level 4 and up but have an extension activity to stretch the more able. OK what would the activity be? How about getting a range of views from the interested parties - a quote from a head, a teacher, a parent, a school governor, a few year 6 pupils, even a union representative, - the issue has been widely reported so presumably it won't be too difficult to source these. Print out the comments, print out the roles of the people who said them. Get the kids to match them up in table groups. You go round the tables offering encouragement and feeding in prompts which will give you a chance to see who your most able and least able students might be. Next you give them the answers so they can see who said what. Take a volunteer from each table to hotseat each role - but do it like a sort of David Dimbleby question time - have the kids, say five, in a row at the front of the class - each reads out the original view and says who they are e.g. "I have a son in year 6 and I am very worried that he won't be put in the right set when he goes to big school if they don't have his SATs results." The rest of the class have a chance to put their questions to the 'panel' but you have some fairly neutral questions up your sleeve to feed in if the kids don't respond - in fact you could have some 'plants' in the audience with a slip of paper with a question they can read out. I'm not sure what you do next - my creative juices have dried up. Maybe a secret ballot!

3. "If I ruled the world."
    What would you do to make the world a nicer place?
    You need to do a bit of pump priming to ensure you don't get unacceptable suggestions.

4. Rubbish. A two level range is a fairly typical range within any class.
    Have you never heard of bell curve distribution?!

5. To answer OP, what are YOUR ideas for YOUR job interview lesson? You must have some?

6. ed_ant2002 - I didn't think we were discussing bell curve distribution. The interviewee specifically needs to show differentiation. I repeat, certainly in terms of literacy, level 3 to level 5 is quite a big range. I was not expressing surprise, merely stating a fact. However, since you mention it, yes, it is typical which is why they want to see it taken into account during an interview lesson, I presume.
    Good luck, OP!

7. I do have some, but the last time I taught year 5 was on my very first teaching practice, and so it's not really relevant.

I would have liked to do speaking and listening activities, but I'm worried about the lack of differentiation. I thought of maybe doing persuassive writing as part of the election campaign idea, then having a class poll.

Thanks, that's a really good idea. I can't interview the real head and teachers, though, as my interview is on Tuesday morning!

8. OK - well, we've got planetx's 'if I ruled the world' - translate that as 'if I were prime minister' - now you have to be a bit careful about political bias - nothing too controversial. So realistically you are going to focus on a number of issues. If you gave them the persuasive writing exercise based on them selecting from a (small) list of relevant issues - have them do the old spidergram of persuasive writing/speaking techniques - repetition, flattery, exaggeration, statistics ...............etc. with an example of each. Then you could do your class poll and voila, hey presto, sorted!