1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brilliant ideas for first day back - post here!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dav1970, Aug 7, 2011.

1. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

I know, I know, 4 weeks to go and all that. But if you are like me you might already be thinking about what to do on the first day back to school with your new class.
    I'm moving schools and into Year 6 for the first time, so older children who may not be as acceptable with some of the ideas I've used with younger children.
    I prefer to get straight into work come the second day but aside from a bit of PHSE, it's 'breaking in' activities all the way first day.
    Please post some of your ideas here. Here are some of mine:
    *Half photo face - take a photo of each child, print off, fold in half and the children have to draw the other half. Makes it a bit easier for children not confident drawing a self-portrtait without a mirror or from scratch and makes an excellent display.
    *Sport's strip design - children design their own sport's strip from a template which can be added to the portraits above for your display. Get the children to write a 'Like, Love, Hate' on their tops.
    *Build a paper structure - give the children lots of newspaper. In groups of 4, they have 20 minutes to build a stable structure. The highest wins. Good for teamwork.
    *Lots of drama/P.E. activities such as wink murder, pirates, fruit bowl, sail the mat.
    *Postcards - show the children lots of postcard designs. The children then have to design their own postcard based on their holidays. They then write on the back what they want to achieve this year and send it to themselves. Keep them until the last day of term to show them and evaluate.
    I've loads more - please post yours!
    Thanks
    David

2. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

I know, I know, 4 weeks to go and all that. But if you are like me you might already be thinking about what to do on the first day back to school with your new class.
    I'm moving schools and into Year 6 for the first time, so older children who may not be as acceptable with some of the ideas I've used with younger children.
    I prefer to get straight into work come the second day but aside from a bit of PHSE, it's 'breaking in' activities all the way first day.
    Please post some of your ideas here. Here are some of mine:
    *Half photo face - take a photo of each child, print off, fold in half and the children have to draw the other half. Makes it a bit easier for children not confident drawing a self-portrtait without a mirror or from scratch and makes an excellent display.
    *Sport's strip design - children design their own sport's strip from a template which can be added to the portraits above for your display. Get the children to write a 'Like, Love, Hate' on their tops.
    *Build a paper structure - give the children lots of newspaper. In groups of 4, they have 20 minutes to build a stable structure. The highest wins. Good for teamwork.
    *Lots of drama/P.E. activities such as wink murder, pirates, fruit bowl, sail the mat.
    *Postcards - show the children lots of postcard designs. The children then have to design their own postcard based on their holidays. They then write on the back what they want to achieve this year and send it to themselves. Keep them until the last day of term to show them and evaluate.
    I've loads more - please post yours!
    Thanks
    David

3. mantilla

mantilla New commenter

Time capsule (open at the end of the year) - get them to list favourite this, that and the other. Hilarious when they open it at the year and realise that they liked some really awful band!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

One idea is to write a' letter of introduction to your class ', which they then use a model for writing one of their own. gives you loads of info about them right at the start.
    For day 2 (only because they need to bring something in), they have to bring in a treasured object and talk for just 1 minute about it. Good for assessing speaking & listening!
    Make a sock or paper bag puppet for use in drama/ PSHE/Languages.

5. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I was planning on doing a bit of teaching.
    10 minutes of reading the riot act first, of course.

6. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

I agree Nick, just get started [​IMG]

7. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

can i jump on the band wagon here and ask for ideas for a very colourful yr2 class!!!! ive planned to get straight into teaching from day 2 but am looking for some pshe type ideas to get them working together etc. Also, a nice art activity for friday afternoon? our class name is sun so was thinking perhaps making some crepe paper suns, or hand print suns? OOooo hand print suns with targets in the middle?

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Maybe make a large group sun from tissue paper to go on a window?

Hand prints in red, orange, yellow to go around a circle with rules or similar in the middle would also look fab.

9. We always have form time for an hour where we get to know the class a bit, give out things, explain routines etc and then we are expected to start teaching as normal. HT will be around checking we are!

10. My first day back is going to be...

Welcome. Sort out bags and coats onto pegs, where their seats are and pencil cases into their trays.
    How we take the register, how we line up for assembly. How we walk to assembly.
    Register. Dinner orders collected. Assembly.
    Carpet discussion...Discussion of school rules, expectations, rewards and consequences. Short partner/group activity: Set of letters, what word can they spell using all letters. (Letters can be rearranged to spell 'listen' or 'silent'. Idea stolen from a poster in the teaching catalogue. Cue general rant from me about why it is important they are quiet and listen for instructions etc and asking them to give e.g.s of why they need to listen.)
    Rules for playtime.
    Playtime
    Where all the equipment lives. What they are allowed to get without asking. When they are and are not allowed to get out of their chairs etc. When/how they should use their have a go english books.
    An activity that requires them to write in sentences about themselves (so I can quickly assess their handwriting, punctuation etc).
    Lunch
    Pm - PPA Hurrah! (Had thought about foregoing my PPA as it fell on the first day, but I have a class who have a few kids in it who really rely on routine, so I am starting with their timetable as it will be each week. Also, there are a few times through the year that I end up missing ppa due to bank hols and it is always a pain to try and get them back, so I don't want to start the year.

Tuesday - timetable as normal

11. My first day back will be something like this:
    Welcome, register, assembly.
    Back from assembly, recap of school golden rules, learning where all equipment is and when they can help themselves to it, as Waterfin said. Then, choosing trays and blue tacking name labels onto them, colouring in cloakroom labels.
    Rules for playtime.
    Playtime.
    Class vision statement. Taking individual and class photographs.
    Dinner.
    Drawing portraits (may use the half photograph idea,) electing school council members and class inductors, creating welcome sign for the door.

12. As an NQT i'm finding this thread really useful...this is something we never covered at uni or on placements as we are only allowed into schools later in the year after routines have already been established! Thank you experienced teachers [​IMG]

13. If I had a TA during the morning, I would use an OHP and project the light onto an A3 piece of paper, blu tacked to the wall. The child stands in front of the light so a silhouette of their head and shoulders is shown on the wall. Then you can draw the outline of the silhouette.
    During the afternoon the children can then fill this in - collage, mixing shades of a colour, drawing/sticking things about themselves, etc. Once cut out and stuck on black paper, you can label the display with something along the lines of 'guess who'. The children could then add writing along the same lines so you link in Literacy.

14. My P5 teacher did this with us when I was at achool and I loved it! Did it myself with a class a efw years back and it went down really well, although i like the idea of collaging it - i just used black paint.

15. I have used this idea for a year 1 class by giving them a writing frame. I talk about the letter with the children and get them to suggest ideas. We decide on some facts to include. Then I give them a sheet with sentences to complete.

Dear...

My name is...
    I am...
    I like...
    I am good at...
    I want to learn to...

etc.

You can vary questions to suit children's ideas and differentiate. I usually give HA a lined sheet and encourage them to write sentences themselves. If you are unsure of MA/HA you could give them all template with space to write extra sentences independently. Get the class to illustrate their letters and you have an instant display.

It's also good to have as a first piece of writing which the children can look back on at the end of the year.

16. awww thankyou so much thanks

17. The last few years we've written letters to ourselves about what they want to achieve this year, what they're looking forward to learning about, trips they'll be going on, how they think they might mature etc. Then they do a little self-portrait, pop them all in a big envelope and then I hide them until the last day in July. You may want to include a photo of them, lists of favourite things etc...
    As long as you remember where you've hidden them, the kids love seeing how they're handwriting and drawing skills have changed, which of their targets they've achieved etc. Really nice thing to do together on the last day, often a good laugh!
    Also helps you to get to know the kids and their hopes for the year.
    Hope this is helpful,
    Mandinie

18. well thankyou madinie for your suggestion and ideas which i have taken note of as it sounds fun and exicted. well there are just so many fatnastice idea and things one can do it just matter of making the right one and right one for ones class

well once again
    thanks to all for your ideas
    khadeeja

19. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

Yes, sellotape and scrap newspaper. Try it! Good fun.
    Oh, and for all the 'JUST TEACH" mob, come on, first day, surely a break from the routine for the rest of the yeart is okay? Especially when you have a new class/year/school.
    :eek:)
    x