1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brighton Uni PGCE Business Education 2011

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by thomasawdry, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    I've been offered an interview at Brighton University and I was wondering if anyone else has had one (for Business Education)?
    It was my second choice (I've been placed on a waiting list for the IOE London) so I don't particularly know much about it. What's the accomodation like? Do they have couples accomodation, and does your partner have to be a student? What is the university like in general?

Thanks!

2. Hi there,
    I've been offered an interview at Brighton University and I was wondering if anyone else has had one (for Business Education)?
    It was my second choice (I've been placed on a waiting list for the IOE London) so I don't particularly know much about it. What's the accomodation like? Do they have couples accomodation, and does your partner have to be a student? What is the university like in general?

Thanks!

3. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

Hi there,
    I studied PGCE Religious Education at Brighton University. To be honest I hated the University, but the second placement, my confidence in my abilities and the other students on the course got me through it. That, and the fact I love the city of Brighton!!! Marking on the beach...I remember it well!
    I found my course leader to be prejudice, 'had favourites' and pre-judged each and everyone one of us - and wasn't too scared to show it. But then again, your doing Business.
    I found their treatment of mature students to be poor, although our house was nice! It was our job to go and find a house, and was put with other 'mature' students. I ended up living with a MA Fine Art student mastering in porographic art and a mental undergraduate who seemed to slip through the net. She peed in our garden on the first night! They weren't great for help and advice, and I tried for months to gain a student card and couldn't get one! Thinking about it more clearly, it was a series of unfortunate events that might be clouding my judgement.
    I'm not from Brighton, and expected to be invited to 'freasher' style events, but was missed out because the campuses are fragmentated and didn't hear of any events. But then again, made friends easy outside of University and the city itself is a lovely place.
    I do however understand that I was in love with my previous University (Bath Spa) and really engulfed myself in all experiences. My judgement is always shaded with comparrison to Bath Spa. The PGCE course itself was intense, but did path my way to become a sucessful teacher. It really teaches you to persevere (much more so that an honours degree)! I guess that is similar for all PGCE/GTP courses.
    My views, are generally negative, however I'm sure there are many that would completely disagree with me. And to be honest, the beauty of Brighton (esp in Summer) is a help :)

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I did my PGCE (MFL) at Brighton Uni. I was 27 when i did it though and lived with my now husband about 30 miles away, so I've no idea what the accommodation is like.
    The uni was ok, but you don't spend a lot of time there really as the majority of your time is spent on placement. Both my placement schools were in the area where I live, which I requested, so was lucky as the 2nd was about 2 miles from my flat!

5. I'm lucky enough to have a place on the English Secondary PGCE for September in Brighton. Last week they sent me a brochure with various accommodation options. There are basical halls (various options), unihomes (which is like halls but houses in town, you still pay the university rent) and then good old fashioned private rented accommodation.

The downside with Brighton is that actually the number of school places are so limited in the town that they encourage those who live in a reasonable commutable distance to stay where they are. They have places all the way up to Camberley and Tunbridge Wells. I'm moving there from Dorset so that's not an option for me. I'll be one of those Central Brighton people :)

6. What was involved in your interview?
    I know you're doing English but did you have a group part?