1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bridging the Gap Between Education and Work

Discussion in 'Education news' started by JanineHornsby, Oct 18, 2017.

?

Do you think a tutor programme is a good idea?

1. Yes, I would use it

60.0%
  2. Yes, but not for us

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, this is a bad idea

40.0%
  1. JanineHornsby

JanineHornsby New commenter

I attended the British Chamber of Commerce Business and Education Summit 2017 where the theme was all about bridging the gap between education and work. Many of the keynote speakers and panel members agreed that much more needs to be done to prepare students to build fulfilling careers in a volatile, uncertain, complex and ambiguous world. Most educators at the summit agreed that although they wanted to do more to engage with businesses, they simply didn't have the time or resources to dedicate to this.

I left teaching because I felt increasingly uncomfortable being a part of what I considered to be an exam factory, more concerned with achieving great results than producing confident young people with the transferable skills necessary for the every changing world of work. Rightly or wrongly I know that many of my colleagues shared this view.

I'm now working with a company trying hard to solve this problem because we believe that the onus cannot fall on the already over worked teachers, who have enough on their plates. We are not looking to replace the great work that Connextions or your careers officer's already do, but rather provide another free resource as a tool to supplement this.

I am considering rolling out a free tutor programme comprised of short videos ( 5 - 7 min) aimed at students in year 10 - sixth form, that tutors can play once a week, which will focus on three main themes; #knowyourself, #impoveyourself and #findyourpath. The video will include some activities, talking points and classroom resources to support each weekly topic. It helps teachers by providing an activity to engage students while they are doing essential admin tasks, ticks the enrichment, PSHE and citizenship box for OFSED during tutor time and, most importantly, helps your students think about what they want to do after leaving education and the different pathways available to them.

If you would like to help us trial the tutor programme then please email me here and I will send you the breakdown of topics for the year and the first video to introduce our company, Net2Work. Our service is completely free for students and schools to use. I started this new journey because I felt like there was more I could do to help inspire the next generation and because many of my ex students told me that they were struggling to find their path even with their 5+ A* - C grades. We also want your students' feedback on the videos and content so we can make it as relevant as possible. If you want to check out our website first then please click here.

Thank you and I really value your feedback

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The short videos for year 10-11 to expand horizons looks great.
    It's not quite appropriate for my current role, but probably would have used it in my days as a year 10/11 tutor.

JanineHornsby likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Where's the video? I followed the link and couldn't see much of use?

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

100% agree with this ...

5. JanineHornsby

I haven't started producing videos just yet as I wanted to see if anyone would find it useful first. I did create a video aimed at careers coordinators and key decision makers in schools, which you can access here

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah understood... well what you describe sounds useful.

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Citizanship?

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I have mixed and inconsistent views. On the one hand, I see the need for
    However, we do our youngsters no favours if we lead them to believe that careers are always fulfilling and like a holiday camp only better. Much work is routine and often monotonous. Employers tend to get employees to do the stuff they haven't go time to do or don't want to do.
    At the moment, my daughter is a year off graduation. She doesn't want to "work in an office". Trouble is many graduates work in offices of varying kinds and there are a range of things people do in offices. She needs to understand this, and accept that sometimes to get the money to do the necessary and nice things, you have to do the tedious stuff.
    We also need the economy to be spread less erratically round the country. Round here, you have to leave town if you want a career. Some find that difficult. I currently spend up to half as long as my working hours travelling to work in the town where the "good jobs" are.

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Back in the day (the 70s) most kids aged 15 and above would have Saturday jobs or paper rounds or something similar. That taught us about what work was like and the expectations a boss might have. It also gave use useful stuff to put on a CV and could also get us a reference. Those sort of opportunities don't seem to exist anymore or they are very few and far between. Thus when the kids leave education it comes as a big shock!

10. JanineHornsby

This is a valid point however, 50% of graduates end up working in a completely unrelated field to what they studied. As a form tutor I never felt like I had enough time to dedicate to career guidance and as there was only one connexions person in school once a week, students felt completely under prepared when leaving education and facing the real world of work. This is why my company wants to do more to help students lean about industries and make more informed decisions about what pathway is best for them. Yes, sometimes people do work that is unfulfilling and there are parts of all of our jobs that we find monotonous but we need to pay the bills but surely if someone is offering a free solution to help students make more informed decisions then that's got to be a good thing?

11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Still no correction from OP?

12. JanineHornsby

We have an inspiration page where we post news, videos and social media content relevant to their chosen industries of interest. This includes political news, business news (which includes ethical debates) and provides opportunities for volunteering and work experience with not for profit organisations in their area. We partner with youth charities and students have the opportunity to become a brand ambassador. All of those things could easily slot into the Citizenship curriculum.

13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Yes but it's citizenship,not citizanship!

14. JanineHornsby

Ah! well, I'm dyslexic so didn't spot the mistake, but thanks so much for pointing that out...However, mistake aside, what do you think of the idea because that was what my post was about. Also, there is no option to edit and correct the original post so you will have to ignore this awful mistake, my greatest apologies.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  15. JanineHornsby

I agree and so does the government. At the BCC summit I attended recently, Justine Greening, Vince Cable and Jeremy Corbyn all agreed that more needs to be done to prepare young people for the realities of work and for a future where many of the jobs we do today may not exist. We think that work experience, volunteering and casual jobs are vital in helping students prepare for what comes next. We want to help young people find those opportunities.