1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brexit

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by DalekTeacher, Mar 6, 2020.

1. DalekTeacher

DalekTeacher New commenter

Hi,
    I know this sounds like a stupid question. I have been worrying about the whole Brexit situation and wondered will jobs for teachers still be safe even if there isn't an end deal by December? It is a big worry when you love the career so much.

Thank you,
    Dalekteacher.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I can't for the life of me think how the two are related or why a no deal Brexit should, in itself, make any difference to how safe teachers jobs are.

briancant likes this.
  3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Depends where you are working, I guess. (UK citizen teaching in the EU might be less secure than one teaching in the UK, and vice-versa for an EU citizen).

Of course if the economy goes pear shaped because the Tories can't deliver on the promises they made to get 'the easiest trade deal in history' etc. then the money available for everything incl. education will decline. And that might incl. loss of jobs in the longer term.

Still, I'm sure Johnson's 6th (or is 7th?) child won't have their education affected as they'll be educated privately!

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I can't see why anybody's teaching job in the UK would become unsafe, unless it is an EU teacher who doesn't bother to apply to the EU settlement scheme by the middle of next year. The situation for UK citizens in the EU is more complicated because it depends on individual countries deciding what to do; the EU has recommended that they are generous if the UK is, which we are. But this has nothing to do with the OP, whose career in the UK will not be affected at all.

5. Morninglover

You [EU citizens who want to stay in the UK] should apply, of course. But acceptance isn't automatic.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I hadn't realised that. Are there any criteria beyond the residence rules for settled or pre-settled status?

7. Morninglover

It's true that the vast majority have been accepted (as far as I am aware) but many who should qualify for settled status have only been given pre-settled status (the useless bully of a Home Secretary misled the Commons by conflating the two types recently - whether from ignorance or deliberately I don't know). Some applicants have been turned down due to (accurate or inaccurately recorded) criminal records, I have read. I suspect there will be more of those as time goes by.

Then there are the residence rules, which can be difficult for those in pre-settled status (our son's girlfriend is in this group - should one of her parents fall ill, and she has to return for any long period, she might well not qualify for settled status in the future. There will be many in the same or similar positions).

Piranha likes this.
  8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Good point. I assumed OP was a UK citizen teaching in a UK state school .

9. Morninglover

This may not apply to many teachers/ex-teachers, but is worth reading:

‘Nowhere to go’: Outrage at Home Office after vulnerable EU nationals applying to stay in UK left without support
    Domestic abuse victims and children in care among those affected by ‘last minute’ announcment of crucial funding, campaigners say

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ome-office-funding-delay-brexit-a9384036.html

Caitlin Boswell Jones, project officer at the Join Council for the Welfare of Immigrants, said the £8m investment was welcome but that it “barely touched” what was needed to support all vulnerable people – and called on ministers to grant automatic settled status to all EU citizens.

“Before this last-minute announcement, many charities have been so underfunded that they have been forced to close waiting lists, leaving people like survivors of domestic violence with nowhere to turn for support,” she said.

“The government refuses to acknowledge that no amount of funding will ensure everyone applies in time. The likelihood is that tens of thousands of EU citizens will be unable to apply, will then fall out of status and become vulnerable to the hostile environment.”

Marianne Lagrue, policy manager at Coram’s migrant children’s project, said the charity welcomed the Home Office’s announcement, but warned that a finite pot of money the lasts for one year was “not going to cut it” for a scheme for which applications are going to get increasingly complex.

“The concentration of complex case within the number of cases that remain is getting bigger and bigger as we get closer to the deadline. We expect that there will be a flurry towards the deadline, and there will be people who miss it. Whether or not there will continue to be public money available to assist these people remains an unanswered question,” she said.

“The funding needs to be guaranteed in perpetuity and to adequately meet the need and complexity of the cases.”