1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brexit

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Mermaid7, Dec 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I couldn't afford the massive pay cut o_O

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Well please dump your British Passport and sign away your British Citizenship, none of this multi passport nonsense.

Once you are free of the British Citizenship you can then devote yourself to a country of your choice and no longer concern yourself with an tiny island off the mainland of Europe.

Go you will not be missed.

install likes this.
  3. dumbbells66

You missed out the word "insignificant";)

w1185299 likes this.
  4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

True, most of them are dyslexic too, though at least Dumbers uses his spell chequer.

yasf likes this.
  5. CHAZ47

CHAZ47 New commenter

Sadly, thousands of people in the U.K. share this viewpoint. Which is precisely the reason I am now desperate to leave ( in order to remain ). Suck it up, buttercup. Be VERY careful what you wish for QUOTE="dumbbells66, post: 12994114, member: 619998"]I am more than happy to give up my passport and citizenship. You can call me what you want, as i dont really care. I would tell you exactly what i think of anyone that has put the UK into such an embassessing position... but you would be rather upset about the words i would use. Although getting Gammons to explode with their "getting control back" attitude is hillariously funny. I honestly hope you get everything you deserve with brexshit. I will be fine, im financially independant, debt free and have a huge amount of savings and can move anywhere very easily. That comes from living internationally for so long and having a world view, not a completely wrong idea of the importance of an insigificant small minded, backward looking, insular island like the UK.

Best of luck with it all;)[/QUOTE]

6. CHAZ47

CHAZ47 New commenter

7. CHAZ47

CHAZ47 New commenter

Are you real?

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, I really am a hippopotamus and my uncle is a giraffe.

install and Mainwaring like this.
  9. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

And the Walmington platoon really did mount guard at Buckingham palace at Christmas 1939.

10. 576

576 Established commenter

Well, financial independence does generally mean you are debt free and have savings.
    As for moving anywhere very easily... Most countries do have criteria in place to manage immigration figures, so I suspect not really 'anywhere'.

You sound like a bit of a braggart.

11. SineField

SineField Occasional commenter

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

12. dumbbells66

Oh you do make me laugh

13. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

I’m afraid he makes me cry. To think that British education was once the envy of the world...

Wannabsupawoman and dumbbells66 like this.
  14. dumbbells66

Come on now Mike you are making a habit of this.

15. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

I would think the best policy is to collect passports to cover your **** in as many circumstances as possible. I have two. If I could get an additional one in a country that isn't leaving the EU I would.

16. AChillyPenguin

AChillyPenguin New commenter

I guess the few hundred £ I spent on getting Irish citizenship last year was worth it after all. Hopefully it'll be a significant advantage in the future.

17. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

I'm surprised it cost that much! My wife's was virtually free and my daughter's just cost a few quid.

install likes this.
  18. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

kpjf likes this.
  19. twisty08

twisty08 New commenter

Which of the benefits of EU membership actually benefit the poorest in British society?

- Free movement? Nope never get to go abroad.
    - Health insurance abroad? Nope see above.
    - Study abroad? Nope see above.
    - It's good for the economy? OK, nobody knows this for sure. We'll find out over the next X years. But we need more data on WHO we are talking about when when saying that things have benefited the economy.

Who got the extra money - was it an evenly distributed gain across all of society (highly unlikely)? Or were the benefits of an economic boost felt only by the middle and upper classes? Have the wages of the checkout girl in ASDA been keeping up with inflation? Has the standard of living been rising? What's with all the food banks?

Imagine we'd left the EU in 1997. Or 2005. The Remainers on here would be slaughtering what has happened to the UK in the last few decades and laying the blame on the leave vote.

When you consider these questions, you might begin to understand why so many of the less fortunate in our society voted to leave.

install likes this.
  20. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

It's happened. No use in extending the for and against of Brexit. Just need to roll on and work with whatever conditions the EU sets in place.

Retirement:
    Doubt very much that EU countries, let's be honest most continue to struggle post GFC; will say no to British expats wanting to spend their pension pot in their (continuing) struggling economies.

EU Employment:
    Schools continue to hire North Americans and southern hemisphere teachers. Flights alone, ignoring British teachers will be a costly business plan.

So we line up in immigration cues... We line up everywhere else around the world.

576 likes this.