1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brexit

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Mermaid7, Dec 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Mermaid7

Mermaid7 Occasional commenter

Does anyone know how Brexit will affect the ability of UK teachers to work in Europe? Or is it too early to say?

2. 576

576 Established commenter

You'll probably need a work permit.

nemo. likes this.
  3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Its probably not going to be a good think. But i agree with 576, its going to mean works visas

4. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

It will mean Brits will need work permits and a lot more hassle.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Hmm. I was talking to someone who works in the British Embassy here in Sofia and she said no, the situation is not going to change much (if at all). There are heaps of Bulgarians working in the UK, so my guess is that the BG government will not want to rock the boat.

6. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

There's a serious potential for division between the EU 27 here.

The UK is unlikely to distinguish between EU nationals from different states (after all, Irish citizens already have extra priviledges), however different EU states may act differently. Bulgaria (and Poland, Rumania, etc) have very few Brits living within them, whereas a couple of million of their citizens live in the UK. Moreover, those citizens are largely in low-paying, service and agricultural sector jobs, thus unlikely to qualify under a points-based immigration system. As the Hippo wisely points out, they are unlikely to want to rock the boat.

In contrast, Spain (and France) are host to many more British migrants - more than there are Spanish and French in the UK. Thus, the Spanish and French goverments are potentially in the position to negotiate harder, especially as many of the Spanish and French nationals living in the UK are highly educated (nurses, doctors, engineers, bankers, etc): the type of workers that Spain would dearly love to entice home or who would easily qualify under a British points-based immigration system.

So, there is a potential for EU-based Brits to become political footballs in the near future.

razziegyp and dumbbells66 like this.
  7. dumbbells66

Lets be honest, its not going to work out well for the UK. Perhaps they will finally understand how insignificant a little country they are once outside the EU. They will have to take whatever is offered to them as they are in a desperate and very weak bargining position. The whole world knows they are a joke and desperate for a deal.... they will get screwed at every turn.

spanboy, towncryer and nemo. like this.
  8. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

UK nationals in EU countries can be very badly affected by the need for a work permit. Even a residency permit does not allow you to work. British international schools who employ a lot of UK staff are faced with the possibility of needing to sort out work visas for hundreds of staff. It all depends on how bojo negotiates a deal with the EU. I suspect that it will all come down to a reciprocal agreement where UK nationals residing in EU countries can remain with an automatic work visa and vice versa. However, in the years to come, British International schools in the EU will face an extra admin load.

9. SineField

SineField Occasional commenter

Ahhh.... the delicious, ambrosia-like nectar of remainer tears..... :cool:

How utterly wrong you are...... here's hoping that your Corbyn-esque gross disdain (and economic ignorance) for your own country, means that you won't be returning for a good few decades eh? :)

The UK abroad teacher... who whilst slagging off their homeland, keeps an iron-clad grip on their UK passport and has the UK Embassy no on their phones, just in case they need someone to help bail them out.

Weakness and hypocrisy are always such fine bedfellows...:rolleyes:

install likes this.
  10. dumbbells66

Your ignorance of the British embassy system has let you down.... ever actually tried to use them? They are utterly useless...and when you compare them to other countries, grossly incompetent. I personally looking for Polish citizenship. The quicker i can get off the sinking ship Brittania the better.

11. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

Having taught overseas for over a decade, I've never set foot in a UK embassy, let alone had their contact details in my phone. Like @dumbells66 I will be looking to gain citizenship in another EU country to retain the right to freedom of movement; it's very important to me and my family.

Edit: I once had to go to a British Council building to have some certificates verified - does this count? ;)

dannythedog, tb9605 and dumbbells66 like this.
  12. february31st

february31st Established commenter

The UK has 3 Million European workers compared to 1 Million UK working in the 27 countries.

Which party has the most to lose in any stupid argument.

13. dumbbells66

The UK obviously

14. SineField

SineField Occasional commenter

Excellent news, well done you:D. Although I don't hold out much hope in it actually happening.... its surprising (but not really :rolleyes:) how many remainers/anti-democrats "talk" about looking for other EU citizenship, but don't actually follow through with it..... hmmmm like I said....weakness and hypocrisy. What stage are you in your application?

I assume with your contempt for the UK, you will be renouncing your UK citizenship and passport once you've succeeded in your quest? Being that you're obviously such a strong and morally righteous individual, you wouldn't want the words 'weak' and 'hypocrite' thrown at you again would you? ;)

install likes this.
  15. dumbbells66

I am more than happy to give up my passport and citizenship. You can call me what you want, as i dont really care. I would tell you exactly what i think of anyone that has put the UK into such an embassessing position... but you would be rather upset about the words i would use. Although getting Gammons to explode with their "getting control back" attitude is hillariously funny. I honestly hope you get everything you deserve with brexshit. I will be fine, im financially independant, debt free and have a huge amount of savings and can move anywhere very easily. That comes from living internationally for so long and having a world view, not a completely wrong idea of the importance of an insigificant small minded, backward looking, insular island like the UK.

Best of luck with it all;)

16. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

It’s not often I find myself in agreement with Dumbells as regular readers will be well aware. However, I have to agree here. A British Embassy official in Tehran once told me that it wasn’t their job to help out Brits in trouble. They were there to help businessmen establish profitable links with the new Iranian government.
    I left England 45 years ago because I couldn’t stomach what the English education system was rapidly becoming — a machine churning out lowest-common-denominator cannon-fodder for the low pay economy. Like Dumbells, I am now much more comfortably off than I would have been had I remained in the UK. I own four properties and am completely debt-free. While I don’t have his huge savings, I have more than enough to see me through my twilight years...
    Last year, anticipating Brexit, my wife and daughter both secured Irish passports, and I have had an EU passport for over 25 years. I find it highly unlikely that I would want to return permanently to the sort of Britain Johnson and Rees-Mogg seem intent on creating...

tb9605, englishtt06 and dumbbells66 like this.
  17. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

Both, actually. The UK nationals working freely in the EU27 will find it a little more difficult (I have a friend in a civil partnership in an EU country that doesn't currently recognise same-sex unions; but because her partner is allowed to be in that country of her own right as an EU citizen all is fine at the moment). In the UK, I have friends in Lincolnshire/Cambridgeshire who are wholly dependent on EU migrants working in agriculture. Plus, y'know, the NHS alone employs 65,000 EU nationals (https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7783)

As tb9605 and moscowbore rightly point out - it's much more likely to boil down to individual countries. I'm sure the NHS will be happy to haemorrhage qualified medical professionals whilst receiving just under a million pensioners from Spain and France. A deal will be struck - I'm sure - but in the meantime it'll be a bumpy transition since no actual agreements have been reached (and, if Johnson goes ahead with his no-deal Brexit, a separate agreement with each country!). Also, it's what this Brexit argument always comes down to: all this cost, change and headache to what discernible benefit? No economic forecast ever puts us as better off; the most optimistic say we will be as well off (although even then it's doubtful; and this is after a difficult ride which even Rees-Mogg said may take up to 50 years before the economy recovers again).

I haven't begun my citizenship process yet because I haven't had to - I've been waiting to see how Brexit plays out (and, to be clear, Brexit hasn't actually happened yet!). I spend more time travelling in and between EU countries than I do to the UK and back; so I'd much rather sweep through the EU passport lane than queue up. I know I'd have to 'queue up' going into the UK with my EU passport, but this is less often so no big deal.

tb9605 and dumbbells66 like this.
  18. w1185299

w1185299 New commenter

Anti-democrats.......interesting argument given that neither Scotland or N.Ireland voted leave......

dannythedog and dumbbells66 like this.
  19. w1185299

w1185299 New commenter

The number of applications for Irish passports in the past few years has been unprecedented, many ‘British’ in Ireland are happy to give up their British passports

dannythedog likes this.
  20. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Sadly, I have to wait another 7 years before I can regain EU citizenship under the current rules. :-( Though my daughter at least only has to wait until she's 14.

dannythedog likes this.