1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Brexit?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by percy topliss, Jun 23, 2018.

1. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

This was just too good not to share....

Nautically,

Perce

2. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Absolutely superb!

When this sorry business began I signed up for a Tory party email circular because I thought it might give me an idea on if/ when/ why not? we UK expats might/ might not be able to vote on the issue. This morning's offering from Clowning Street is headed 'Labour Unfit to Govern'. Have these people no sense of irony?

In passing, 'Brexit' is bad enough but the 'Breggzit' version is quite close to the Spanish for 'knickers'.

percy topliss likes this.
  3. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

In France, the British embassy advice is to apply for the 'carte de sejour' which previously was only required by non-EU nationals. That will give us approximately 5 years to work and reside here. It can be renewed or one can apply for nationality and get a French passport but that process is complex. Our HR is not worried as we have permanent employment contracts (CDI) and French employment laws are very strict.

That's my plan!

4. percy topliss

So, today is the day...Mrs May has been called in front of the 1922 committee who will decide her, and I guess the countries, future. Will they continue on in their seemingly chartless track or will the baton be passed to Boris, Gove or Rees Mogg? I actually feel that most people have interest but I just thought that I would stir the pot a little.

Protractedly,

Perce

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Mr and Mrs Hippopotamus have Bulgarian residency cards and we have been told that we can renew them next year. Hmm.

My Bulgarian friends are not too happy about BREXIT. Bulgaria has joined the EU relatively recently and soon it is meant to be joining the Euro as well. The fall in the value of the pound against the euro has been bad news for Bulgarians working (or hoping to work) in the UK and it certainly has decreased the value of my TPS pension.

6. percy topliss

So it looks like it is all about to come to a head.I thought that I would ressurect this thread to see what people think now. Tuesday is Day Z for poor old Mrs May. I should expect a speedy resignation in order to enjoy Christmas whilst looking forward to her Baronetcy or whatever. Boris will begin bouncing around like a juvenile Dulux dog and Gove and his Mrs will be puting their agenda forward through the pages of the Daily mail. I look forward to being in the UK to watch the denouement at first hand.

I must say that now I have other citizenship sorted out I am quite excited about what is going to happen...

Expectantly, Perce.

7. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

Better than Coronation Street!

percy topliss likes this.
  8. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

I don't think the vote will happen yet, but if it does I expect May to lose but not resign. I genuinely have no idea how it will go from here - I think any move for a 2nd referendum would trigger a leadership challenge that May would lose to a hard brexiter and there'd be no referendum.

I suspect that the deal will pass either on Tuesday, or on a 2nd vote or in a very slightly amended way which will please no-one and leave everyone worse off.

9. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

I have conceived a grudging respect for Theresa's sheer grit. Faltering and hoarse from the powder smoke, she sticks to her guns (Where is Captain Tuanjim when I need him?).

I am appalled by the spectacle of the population of the UK still galloping towards the precipice like a host of lemmings when it is now abundantly clear that the original vote was fuelled by little more than misinformation and deliberate lies. I hope there will be a majority for a second referendum. I agree that May would probably go. It is quite possible that this ramshackle 'government' would go with her. What then? The Tories (more divided than ever) fighting a general election headed by Boris the Buffoon or the Right Dishonourable Gove or any of the other renegades or nonentities? Corbin for PM? What was that phrase? Contempt for Parliament?

Maggie, thou shouldst be living at this hour:
    England hath need of thee. She is a fen
    Of stagnant waters...

JL48 and Mr_Frosty like this.
  10. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, I would agree with the Captain that Theresa May's determination and resilience are quite remarkable, given the backstabbing and disloyalty that she has had to put up with from her own party. But a second referendum? Is that really likely?

11. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Rivers of Blood is an often quoted phrase is such situations I believe. Another favorite is the Pound in Your Pocket, followed by Winter of Discontent!

In the good old days when we had real politicians and the lights went out at 6pm and 3 day weeks!

spanboy likes this.
  12. miketribe

We're all doomed!

13. miketribe

14. percy topliss

Interesting times in the Houses of Parliament. For many years the Tory grandees have treated John Bercow with disdain, which many may argue that he deserves. Constitutionally, however, he holds a very powerful position within the hierarchy of the country and he has now begun to flex his muscles. I think that the next few weeks will turn out to be very interesting!

Annoyingly,

Perce

15. february31st

I am just waiting for ER2 to step in and Dissolve Parliament and call fresh elections! The one real power the Queen has as Head of State. I might just have to go to a betting shop and place a tenner on the Queen sticking the knife into TM and pulling the plug on this poor excuse for a government.

edmundstavros and spanboy like this.
  16. miketribe

17. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Yep...I remember this as a kid in the 70s...just got sat down wi' tea watching 'Nationwide' on the telly...then blackout n candles to the fore...and the little white dot of light in the middle of the box which took a while to fizzle out!

18. february31st

“It comes from a very ancient democracy, you see..."
    "You mean, it comes from a world of lizards?"
    "No," said Ford, who by this time was a little more rational and coherent than he had been, having finally had the coffee forced down him, "nothing so simple. Nothing anything like so straightforward. On its world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
    "Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
    "I did," said Ford. "It is."
    "So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't people get rid of the lizards?"
    "It honestly doesn't occur to them," said Ford. "They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates to the government they want."
    "You mean they actually vote for the lizards?"
    "Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
    "But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
    "Because if they didn't vote for a lizard," said Ford, "the wrong lizard might get in. Got any gin?"
    "What?"
    "I said," said Ford, with an increasing air of urgency creeping into his voice, "have you got any gin?"
    "I'll look. Tell me about the lizards."
    Ford shrugged again.
    "Some people say that the lizards are the best thing that ever happenned to them," he said. "They're completely wrong of course, completely and utterly wrong, but someone's got to say it."
    "But that's terrible," said Arthur.
    "Listen, bud," said Ford, "if I had one Altairian dollar for every time I heard one bit of the Universe look at another bit of the Universe and say 'That's terrible' I wouldn't be sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.”

― Douglas Adams, So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

19. Beagles111

Beagles111 New commenter

I was in the UK recently and most of the people to whom I spoke seem to be blissfully unaware that their country is running full steam ahead towards the biggest disaster that it has seen for decades. My parents, well off, middle class people who both voted out now seem to have conveniently forgotten this, especially when I point out the limitations that it could put on their grand children's futures. I have little time for Bercow who I think is an odious bully, however, he does seem to be trying to stop the politicians sleepwalking the rest of the country into oblivion. With regard to the above, I am not sure that the Queen has the power to sack Mrs May, we tend to use that only in the colonies.

20. percy topliss