1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brexit?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by percy topliss, Jun 23, 2018.

1. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

I saw a funny tweet from Kenneth Clarke the other day regarding the phat philanderer. It went something along the lines of " I see Boris is a fan of the single market after all"...took me back to when politics was fun.

Perce

2. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

May's negotiation tactics are a disaster area and a classic lesson in how not to negotiate. To go in saying 'we want a trade deal' from the outset was just plain stupid. We should have left immediately on WTO terms and then said we can talk about a deal if it helps us both.

But don't worry. Boris will get it sorted out.

3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

[QUOTE="binaryhex, post: 12603794 But don't worry. Boris will get it sorted out.[/QUOTE]

The terms 'Boris' and 'don't worry' are mutually exclusive. The result of any action by Bojo would be wildly unpredictable, not least to Bojo, whose idea of 'sorting out' would be to pour petrol on the flames to see what happened. There have been rare periods in British politics when one could say 'I'll vote for X. I know what s/he stands for'. This isn't such a period. May is feeble, Corbin unelectable and Boris stands for nothing more than Boris.

Angelil likes this.
  4. mrswallow

mrswallow New commenter

Never mind all the complicated geo-political ramifications of Brexit. My mother-in-law has said that if Britain votes leave, Trump becomes President and Boris becomes PM, she's coming to join us in NZ.

Any advice?

JL48 likes this.
  5. Mainwaring

Emigrate to Oz?

6. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

As in the Emerald City......;)

Perce

7. bead

bead New commenter

I have to laugh at the idea of free movement having waited 3 hours to pass from Bulgaria to Rumania on many occasions this summer. I thought all borders were supposed to be easy for eu citizens. Lets be honest her,. many eu countries (especially eastern europe) do not make it easy to become residents. i have a 3 month permission to stay from an old passport when working in Holland, I did more medicals to be "allowed" to live in Greece than I had to do for the middle east.
    I dont blame the UK citizens or government for Brexit. I blame the European politicians for not obeying the rules that they agreed on in the first place. There are a few other countries where the citizens are getting fed up as well.
    Its a mess and could get worse.
    As for us working abroad. Brits have been working abroad for hundereds of years so it wont make a difference.

8. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

isnt freedom of movement only in Schengen countries? and Bulgaria and Romania arent in it.

JL48 and Angelil like this.
  9. bead

bead New commenter

The free movement of goods and people apply to ALL eu citizens in ALL eu countries. Schengen only applies to NON eu citizens which are already resident in a eu country. So to move from Bulgaria to Rumania is a right of all eu citizens. They should not be subject to the same checks as non eu citizens. This is one of the many **** ups of the eu. Its not only the brexiteers who dont know much about it, but the majority of people in the UK. For example it is the absolute right of an eu citizen to settle in another country. They should not have to ask for permission. Most of the countries are actually breaking the laws which they have made. The exception being the UK which allows free movement and right of abode as per the law.

10. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I must agree with bead.

As regular readers of the pachyderm's online ramblings will already know, I am indeed a fan of a certain country in SE Europe. However, the delays, hold ups and monumental messes that are regular fixtures at the border between Serbia and BG are depressing, annoying and totally the result of the Bulgarian government being unable to get their act together. The Belgrade - Sofia road is is the main point of entry for most road traffic from western Europe, so most people using the Kalotina crossing are not Serbians.
    border small.jpg

11. mrswallow

mrswallow New commenter

Goodness no. It'll never be that bad. Mind you, on second thoughts I may have picked up a certain bias against 'Stralians having lived in NZ for ten years. They can't be that bad. One MiL or 20 million Aussies. Hobson's choice.

12. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

That's odd. In 2008, my wife and I drove around 21 coutnries in Europe - only on the Swiss, pre-EU Crotia and Andorran borders were we stopped... and then only for a couple of minutes or so. I wonder if this is a new thing? Perhaps to do with the refugee crisis of recent past?

It will if you want to work in the EU. Post-Brexit, there will be a legal obligation for EU employers to proove that there are no EU citizens equally well qualified to do the job before they hire a a Brit (this is why, currently, it is extremely hard for US teachers to get work in the EU, as there are obviously lots of EU citizens qualified to teach). If you're an English teacher like me, suddenly you'll find yourself behind 4.7 million Irish passport holders (among others). It's one of the reason why the school I'm at has put the whole staff body on indefinido contracts.

This was never an issue BEFORE the EU (as this rule didn't exist then), so comparissons between pre-Maastricht Europe and post-Brexit Europe simply aren't valid.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  13. bead

bead New commenter

True, but there are thousands of Brits working around the world. Many more outside Europe than in it. As for teaching, the salaries in most of Europe are very low in comparison to the rest of the world, with the odd exception. I have worked in European countries(not as a teacher) and some of them are difficult to get the civil id, which really should not happen. I got my civil id in Kuwait easier and quicker than I did in Greece, and i am still trying to get one for Bulgaria. They dont make it easy either, although according to eu law it is an automatic right in these countries.

14. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Mrs Hippo and I did not have too many problems getting our Bulgarian residency cards. Once you have them, renewing them is not so difficult.

As regular readers of my online ramblings will know well, I have NEVER recommended anyone to work in Bulgaria. Yes, the BG salaries are very low (if you can get a job) and the lower cost of living does not really make up for lower earnings. On the other hand, I would definitely recommend Bulgaria to anyone who is interested in buying a beautiful (and very cheap) house in the lovely Bulgarian countryside. If you are retired or you can work online, then Bulgaria might be the place for you. As well as good wine and better weather, Bulgaria's equivalent of Council Tax is a tiny fraction of what you will pay in the UK. And the scenery is not bad.

109.jpg

percy topliss likes this.
  15. Mainwaring

As well as good wine and better weather, Bulgaria's equivalent of Council Tax is a tiny fraction of what you will pay in the UK. And the scenery is not bad.

Ditto Spain, though our brief experience of working in a school here was rather as dumbells has described. However it did have one notable advantage in that our Residencias date from 1998, which means that we have been 'permanent residents' for the past ten years, so Spain is unlikely to kick us out. I wish I could be as confident that whichever sorry passle of payasos ends up in charge of Blighty will continue to 'protect' our UK pensions.

16. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Ten years?… looks like time flies in your case @Mainwaring - although bridging the 1000 often causes problems in calculations.

;)

17. Mainwaring

Residence in Spain only becomes permanent after ten years. Ten plus ten makes twenty. I wondered who would be the first to take the bait.

percy topliss likes this.
  18. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Ahh...ok...‘‘twas me then

19. Mainwaring

Makes a change from Private Pike.

rouxx likes this.
  20. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

I certainly wouldn’t give just anyone your name, Mainwaring.