1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brexit?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by percy topliss, Jun 23, 2018.

1. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

43% of all the UK's exports go to the EU, only between 8 and 18% of the EU's exports come to the UK....so the simple answer is the UK has more to lose.

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I should imagine 18% of EU exports is a lot of money to lose when the UK cuts of imports from the EU. Thats 18% exports from 26 different countries the UK imports, again the EU has more to lose.

3. dumbbells66

So where is it going to get things from? Australia? The US? India? They are a lot further away than the EU, and who do you think will be footing the bill for transporting it all here?
    Breshit logic...you have to love it. We'll just over night not need anything from anyone in europe.

JL48, Mr_Frosty and lottee1000 like this.
  4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

THICK FOG IN THE CHANNEL CONTINENT CUT OFF

JL48, percy topliss and miketribe like this.
  5. fordseries123

fordseries123 New commenter

It's exactly this kind of arrogance and comments that caused this mess in the first place. If the political elite had listened to some of the genuine concerns of the majority in regards to sovereignty and immigration, I believe this could have been avoid. Labelling the people who voted as idiots simply compounds the trouble we are in when we should be trying to come together to make the best of this difficult situation.

6. dumbbells66

I personally have no problem calling these people what they are. The shear level of ignorance is unbelievable. They need to be thoroughly ashamed of the damage they have caused. I am still to hear one single logical and rational idea why Breshit is a good idea.

spanboy and Capricorn2412 like this.
  7. february31st

Its called Democracy, the most votes won the argument.

Just like in 1977 when we voted into the EU, in 2018 we voted out.

Laughing Gravy likes this.
  8. dumbbells66

Well thank god for the younger far more sensible generation that will correct this utter farce and vote us back in to the EU in about 2 years.

9. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

I think two years might be optimistic, dumbbells. Look how long it takes the government to do anything. I do feel a Yes, Minister rewatch coming on.

percy topliss likes this.
  10. dumbbells66

Im just counting on the present government imploding. They seem to be doing an excellent job of self destruction at the moment, then there will have to be a general election. Then thankfully this utter embarresment and farce of brexshit can be put behind us. Lets hope we have a country left to save. These brexshiteers have made a once great country a complete laughing stock. Perhaps we should vote to remove the "Great" for Great Britain, because what these Brexshiteers have done to us it isnt great anymore......any suggestions for its replacement? I have a few, but i dont think they would get through moderation

JL48 likes this.
  11. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

The Great is a geographical term. It has nothing to do with Land of Hope and Glory. There is already a term for the small-mindedness that led to the bvggers' muddle of Brexit: Little England.

12. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

I think it's inevitable we rejoin, under significantly less favourable terms, but I think it'll take 15-20 years.

nemo. likes this.
  13. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Interestingly, I have been in the UK for the past few weeks and it seems to be quite difficult to find anyone who owns up to voting leave now. The news is still full of rampant Brexit mongers baying for the blood of remainers but in the pubs, hotels and other places that we have been frequenting there seems to be an air of “ if we ignore it it will just go away”. As ever, interesting times in the land of the Brexit.
    Recliningly,
    Perce

JL48 and dumbbells66 like this.
  14. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Brexit is a disaster for the many Brits who have retired overseas, like Mr and Mrs Hippopotamus. And maybe it is not so wonderful for those who are still in the UK.

15. february31st

Again Hippo, Europe has more to lose if all British pensioners return to the UK. Honestly I have never meet any European pensioners planning to retire in England, counter that with the 100000s of British pensioners living in Spain and Portugal.

EU will lose Billions of EUROs of income if tbe grey army of pensioners return to Blity.

Can you see Portugal kicking out the money that comes with UK pensioners living there.

16. dumbbells66

Grabbing on to any glimmer of hope that Brexshit is a good idea, and the EU has "so much to lose". I sorry to say but it doesnt, you are talking a tiny tiny amount of money in the grand scheme of things. Nothing like the billions that will be lost from the UK banking industry.

This grand farce will all be sorted out once all the Brexshit lunatics die in the next year or two, and the younger generation turn around the worse idea any generation has ever had, and vote to rejoin.

towncryer and JL48 like this.
  17. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Currently I just resigned to "I am alright jack" as I am getting richer by the day and in pounds even richer.

If it all ends up in a hard Brexit, food riots , mass unemployment resulting in Tories self destructing and cheaper house prices then ok for me if it all settles down. Assuming post Brexit doesnt end up as a Judge Dredd type of UK cut off from Europe as society collapses into chaos.

Of course it could result in the right wing press blaming Europe and a rise of a racist-fascist government - under Rees Mogg say. A state of emergency is called and the army is on the streets - Rees Mogg becomes the effective Fuhrer under emergency laws. Scotland declares independence and the army is sent in to arrest the Scottish leaders. Fighting breaks out and the army starts shooting the Scottish traitors. Ireland flairs up and army goes in. War restarts. State of emergency carries on....Daily Mail shouts for foreigners to be expelled. Work camps are set up for anyone not English.....Muslims-Jews-Europeans are rounded up and interned...make em work is the cry.... Fantasy? I really hope so. But Britain has a very weak democracy really. And in 1930 Germany who would have predicted what happened next.... and all that anti immigrant feeling. Hatred seems to be on the rise. When people have no food.... errrr I hope I am just being dramatic.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  18. february31st

I should imagine the younger generation dont know how to riot! You cant make a petrol bomb by siphoning a Tesla fuel tank.

19. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

It is very interesting reading from my timeline on Facebook and other Social media sites. People seem to have chosen their side and are very willing to fight their corner, a little like on here, with some ugly phraseology because of the seeming anonymity afforded them by the internet. I certainly hope that it doesn't all turn into a Judge Dredd "cursed earth" scenario but it will certainly be interesting to watch it from afar.

Packingly,

Perce

20. Beagles111

Beagles111 New commenter

Woe to the vanquished as I believe a vandal once said of Ancient Rome. For what it is worth, I do think that there will be blood in the streets whenever Brexit finally happens. Roughly 50% of the electorate do not want what the other 50% do and that is going to lead to trouble. Lots of hot heads on both sides who do not want to be seen as the losers. Not really sure how much the snowflake generation understand what is going on or what it is going to mean to them, as long as their family keep paying their bills they will probably keep quiet. If Trump wins again in 3 years then, in my very humble opinion, the UK as a nation could be finished. In the International arena as long as we have the likes of the cacographically challenged feb31st there should be interesting debate in the staffroom for the foreseeable future.

yasf likes this.