1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brexit?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by percy topliss, Jun 23, 2018.

1. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

They started it!!!

2. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

'Please, Sir, it wasn't me. It was Harold Prott! (Bluebottle, The Goons c. 1955).

An odd thing about Brexit is that some British retirees here in Spain boasted on Facebook that they voted for it. As a lifelong collector of eejitry I treasured this prize example of sawing off the branch you're sitting on, but an outraged friend of ours indulged in a virtual pogrom of unfriending.

3. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

I work at an International school. My students are American, Australian, Korean and Japanese. Nowhere, I believe, did I say that England was the UK. One of my students was quoted 40'000 pounds a year for a course at Glasgow University, needless to say they chose to go elsewhere. Please stop being so tetchy it is an irksome trait.

Collegially,

Perce

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

As regular readers of my blog, www.bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com, will know very well, this ancient pachyderm has chosen to retire in a certain country in SE Europe. This week we managed to get our new temporary residency cards and we were told that soon we could have our permanent cards. All well and good, but the pound's collapse in value against the euro is much more serious and it is something that will be making a big difference to many Brits who have retired in Spain or France or elsewhere in the EU. Yes, we watched A Place in the Sun, and like lots of other people, we thought that it would be a good idea. My guess is that Brexit's long-term financial implications for expats are not going away sometime soon.

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Ah Perce, but you did make the mistake of mentioning Birmingham, which is in England, prompting the 'England is not the UK' retort - how very dare you! ;)

6. fordseries123

fordseries123 New commenter

Someone has mentioned that blog again, I must get round to reading it!

In regards to Brexit, I think in the long term things will smooth over eventually. Britain needs the EU and the EU needs Britain. So after the brickering has subsided, things will be ok. I don't think it helps with people being so negative about the situation, almost praying for doom and gloom just to say "I told you it was a bad idea leaving".

7. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

It is a bad idea leaving. I don't need doom and gloom to say that, nor do I wish for doom and gloom. Even if the UK encome sky-rockets, I'll still think leaving was a bad idea. If we're to solve the problems the human race is faced with - inequality, climate change, rising populations, etc - we need to do so through co-operation and super-state bodies are one of the best mechanisms for achieving this. Brexit is a backwards step.

8. percy topliss

Interesting events today. Can Mrs May still deliver any form of Brexit or will the UK, including Scotland, wake up in a few months under Corbyn and Macdonald? Personally, I think Davis wad a busted flush and this is Boris' last attempt at the big job....let's see shall we...

Thoughtfully,

Perce

Mr_Frosty and spanboy like this.
  9. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Maybe Mr Gove could reengage himself as the face of Brexit...you know...after his previous success as Minister for Education ;)

percy topliss likes this.
  10. Mainwaring

Latest: The cabinet finally collapses under its own weight of fools. A leadership contest reveals that there are no leaders to be had. Boris the Buffoon becomes PM with Gove as Minister with special responsibility for Slime and Duplicity. A vote of no confidence in the House leads to the fall of the ‘government’ and triggers a snap election. Dithering Corbyn is clearly unelectable. The Lib-Dems win with a landslide and Vince calls a second referendum which is won by Remain. Farage is torn to pieces by outraged wrinklies. The Monster Raving Loony candidate is returned for Uxbridge (but nobody notices the difference).

Oh God, Mainwaring, you’ve been dreaming again.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  11. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

I don't think Corbyn can win an actual majority but if he did I doubt his brexit deal would be any better than May's. In that scenario I'd hope the LDs would improve a lot and do a deal to form a coalition on the condition of a referendum on the final deal. I know I'm dreaming though, sadly Brexit is coming.

12. Mainwaring

I found it significant that Rees-Mogg criticized my fellow Lancastrian Sir Robert Peel for damaging Conservative electability by opposing the Corn Laws which kept the price of food artificially high at a time when the workers were starving. Perhaps the motto of the modern Tory party should be: Political advantage before principle every time.

Mr_Frosty and percy topliss like this.
  13. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Brexshit had already made the UK the laughing stock of the world, well until Trump got elected, but now with this complete farce evolving day by day no one is ever going to take the UK seriously again. What a joke

spanboy likes this.
  14. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

I think what’s interesting to note is that people in the UK think mainland Europe is waiting to see what’s going to happen and that the EU is desperate to keep them as members. Well, here it’s barely mentioned apart from the farcical resignations of the last 24 hours and, honestly no one really cares. Good riddance seems to be the main feeling. Sky news yesterday had a European correspondent and the presenter asked, what’s the reaction there ? Answer : none, because the only people preoccupied with Brexit are the British media

dumbbells66 likes this.
  15. dumbbells66

Very much true here in Poland. They couldnt care less

16. february31st

february31st Established commenter

There will be shock in the EU when the money from The UK doesn't arrive to pay the bills.

17. dumbbells66

Thats what all brexshiteers think, but from what im hearing here, as long as they honour the pension contributions they owe, the EU will cope. They are already rebalancing the budgets, no major concerns.

18. percy topliss

I must say that any sensible government, and I class the EU in this bracket, would budget for this. After all they have had over 2 years. The only people who are unprepared seem to be those in the UK.

Holidayingly,

Perce

dumbbells66 likes this.
  19. dumbbells66

Unfortunately your average Brexshiteer doesnt seem to have the basic level of intellegence to work out even basic economic principles and business practices. If you lose an income stream you rebudget and shift your organisational focus....this really isnt difficult to understand.

20. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I can understand that the UK imports 80 billion Euro more into the country, it pays more in EU fees than it receives in benefits and has 2 million more European's living in the UK than British living in Europe.

Who has more to lose, the EU or the UK?