1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brexit?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by percy topliss, Jun 23, 2018.

1. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Looks like this one will be a slow burner, a little like the act of leaving itself. I wonder if people are already away and not reading or just aren't interested in what the future holds for them? Also, judging from the replies so far most of you, with one glaring exception, seem to think that it is a bad idea to lose touch with the continent and all that it offers.
    I shall have to keep my eye on this and see what happens as March 29th comes closer......

Ciao,

Perce

Laughing Gravy likes this.
  2. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

Personally, working in Asia, it doesn't immediately impact my working situation.

I do, however, think it is an awful decision. Having spent some time at both the conseil d'europe and the European Parliament a few years ago doing lobbying and advocacy work, I respect and value what the EU does for us.

As for passports, I lost my right to apply for alternative citizenship as the country concerned changed their laws. My mother renounced her citizenship and only holds British citizenship, so I am not entitled through my grandparents.

3. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

Weren't they the only one to think that A levels were infinitely superior to the IB DP too?

dumbbells66 likes this.
  4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

I am a committed Europhile and whilst I think highly of some aspects of the IBDP I found the approach to my subject, English literature, weak and watery compared with the rigour of A Level.

5. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

Should one not look at the programmes as a whole to make a fair comparison?

dumbbells66 likes this.
  6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

@yasf makes a good point...yet again

yasf likes this.
  7. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Of course, which is why I introduced IBDP in two schools. But I am not blind to its defects nor to the speciousness of some of the claims made in its favour.

tb9605, percy topliss and yasf like this.
  8. swsimp160

swsimp160 New commenter

Another poster who does not know the difference between England and the UK.

9. swsimp160

swsimp160 New commenter

No fees in Scotland and EU students from anywhere but those countries in the UK who charge fees pay zero fees. England is not the UK

dumbbells66 and ed717 like this.
  10. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Why? because I use UK in part of my response and England in another?

11. stopwatch

Bee in your (tartan) bonnet?

12. ed717

ed717 New commenter

And people in England wonder why scots don't like them... :confused:

England is NOT the UK. The UK is made up of England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales. As a teacher it is worrying if you do not know this....

dumbbells66 likes this.
  13. stopwatch

Who says I don't know this? I do think that the Scots are a bit paranoid and quick to jump in on something like this. I find it a bit pathetic.

I don't wonder why the Scots don't like the English, I know why. The question is, is it justified.

My brother has lived in an outskirt of Glasgow for around 25 years. The locals call 'people like him' the 'white settlers'. Sometimes the Scots also don't do themselves any favours.

I made a comment where I used 'UK' in part of it and 'England' in another. A genuine and understandable mistake (which is all it was).

14. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

As regular readers of my online ramblings will know well, I have always been against Brexit. It is (and always will be) one of the most shameful and disgraceful things that the British government has ever done. It is a disaster for the UK, a disaster for Europe and a disaster for democracy, as the "leave" campaign was built on lies, xenophobia and the unscrupulous manipulation of Cambridge Analytica. Yes, of course migration into Europe from Africa and the Middle East is a big problem, but it is a European problem and so it needs a concerted response from a united Europe. In some ways, Brexit was a failed attempt to disentangle the UK from the problem of migration.

On a personal level, the collapse in the value of the British pound against the euro means that, like many Brits who have retired in Europe, my teacher's pension is going to be worth a lot less. (For many Europeans, London house prices are now much lower, so my guess is that many British teachers will find it even harder to buy anything in the UK's capital city.) Fortunately Mrs Hippopotamus and I have been saving like mad for the last twenty years and we have chosen to retire in what is probably the cheapest country in all of Europe: Bulgaria. You can read more about our misadventures by going to my blog at www.bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com

yasf likes this.
  15. fordseries123

fordseries123 New commenter

16. february31st

february31st Established commenter

There is no such thing as free student tuition fees in Scotland, its paid for by English tax payers! Scotland doesnt generate enough tax to pay for its own existence, just like Wales.

Same problem in the EU, who will pay the bills once the UK leaves, I am sure Malta and Cyprus can cough up 16 billion pounds a year!

T0nyGT, Laughing Gravy and stopwatch like this.
  17. stopwatch

Please tell me more about this blog.[/QUOTE]

Why don't you go and take a look?

18. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

Think of it as payment for having to put up with the constant English arrogance ;);););)

ed717 likes this.
  19. stopwatch

... yes of course - because it is only a one way thing - and the Scots are so shy, humble and retiring :eek::D

20. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Gosh, from Brexit to Joxit in a few posts!

Annoyingly,

Perce

yasf likes this.