1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brexit?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by percy topliss, Jun 23, 2018.

1. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Now that the lazy, hazy holidays are upon us and we have a little more time to ruminate on the hours that remain until the UK actually leaves the EU I would be very interested to see how everyone thinks that it will affect them? For instance, if you work in Spain or Portugal, France or Belgium have any concessions been granted to say that you can stay and work or are you, as the UK government still seem to be, in the dark? Obviously if this is the case it must be a tad worrying not knowing if you are going to employed next year. Have any of you availed yourself of the opportunity afforded by certain close relatives and managed to get yourself another, EU friendly passport. Lastly, what, if anything do you make of it now that we are 2 years post referendum and less than 12 months away from the final breakaway?

Engagingly yours,

Perce

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Just having a 2500GBP pay increase with the fall of the value of the pound.

But exchange rates can go up or down!

spanboy likes this.
  3. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Not sure at all what'll happen about my situation: a UK national with a domicile in Spain but working in China, and likely to continue doing so for the next few years.

4. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Good news! :)

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I think there will be a huge impact for British people all over the world. We really have no idea what the real wotld costs will be. One think i can be sure of, there wont be any benefits.
    Im glad im young enough to be around when they turn this terrible mistake around and vote to rejoin the EU in a few years.
    I am marrying a lovely Polish woman, so i will be keeping my EU citizenship....i planned to marry her before the vote to leave.... honest ;)

afterdark, Xtinelove and JL48 like this.
  6. Muso87

Muso87 New commenter

Why would anyone need to get an EU friendly passport to continue working in the EU? Brits who work outside the EU simply apply for a work visa, whilst keeping their British passport.

Laughing Gravy likes this.
  7. dumbbells66

For example....the country i am in (in africa) just made it a hell of a lot easier for EU passport holders to get a visa. This currently includes the UK at the moment. After breshit, who knows, it will undoubtedly cost me a lot more in time and effort, and the school in costs. I then become more of an expensive hire and a hasstle to HR....This will all have an effect on recruitment.
    Once Brexit happens Brits will be at the same level as Aussies, Canadians, Kiwis, etc with regards to working in the EU. The level of competition for those jobs will dramatically increase....well until they work out how badly people in western europe get paid

8. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Keep an eye on developments regarding leave to remain in UK, even if you are married to an EU citizen. News this week is that the government plan to introduce a '3 question' process (ID, Police record, proof of residence in UK), for EU citizens who live in UK before Brexit is implemented. If you can answer these 3 conditions satisfactorily, you will be given leave to remain (for those in England for 5 years preceding - permanent LTR, for those with less than 5 years - initial LTR with permanent LTR given when the 5 year period is completed).

If you and Mrs D come back to England after Brexit, I don't think it will be this straightforward.

For those Brits married to people from outside the EU, the process is already a whole lot more extensive and difficult - and expensive! I can see this happening to EU citizens after a time.

9. dumbbells66

Im never ever going back to the UK. i will happily give up my british citizenship to keep an EU passport. Poland is where my future is.

nemo. and ed717 like this.
  10. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Occasional commenter

There was something on the radio (Spain) either this morning* or yesterday morning about rights which UK had agreed EU citizens will have post-Brexit and it seemed very encouraging. Something about proving you are currently resident (either with your 5 years accrued or working towards it), prove you have no criminal record and pay a fee, can't remember how much but definitely under 100€. And that the ludicrous minimum income rule wouldn't apply. And that you'd be able to bring your families.
    If this is all reciprocated, most of us will be ok.

(*This was very early in the morning, not long after the alarm went off and before I was fully awake so I hope I haven't dreamed it.

11. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Occasional commenter

12. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

Because there are lots of other considerations. I'm British, so my school in the EU will have to apply for a visa, which will be expensive, thus opening up more competition, as @dumbbells66 says above.
    Ignoring this, and presuming my school wants to keep me, the next issue is my boyfriend. We've been together 10 years, but have no desire to get married, for whatever reasons. As he has a CELTA only, he is far less likely to get a sponsored job here, unlike currently when his visa-free status makes him quite employable. So he'd love an EU-friendly passport right now, as would I.
    And finally, what about the future? As it stands, the government of our host country, as much of the EU has, has guaranteed our current residency. But we do not want to stay here forever. Our end-goal is another EU country, one which we have lived and worked in for 7 years between us, but actually have no right to ever go back to, after Brexit. Our plan is to love there long term, and eventually retire there, but all that has changed. Getting a different passport, a process I I'm trying now, will solve all these issues.

13. percy topliss

Maybe I didn't make myself very clear. Even though I live in Asia I have already managed to get another EU passport through a distant relative. This means that if and when my kids want to go to university they will be able to apply to Holland, Germany, Belgium or Italy where the fees are currently a fraction of those in the UK. Goodness knows what they will be in 5 years or so.

Scroogily,

Perce

14. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

I think an issue as big if not bigger than visa's for those in the EU would be a drop in student numbers. If lots of Brits have to leave their homes in the EU then there may not be as big a demand for places and student numbers in schools could drop. If that happens those schools will need fewer teachers.

The whole thing is an ill thought out shambles so my aim is to stay out of the UK and EU for as long as possible and hope that common sense prevails in a few years.

15. Muso87

Muso87 New commenter

1. This competition (cost of getting a visa) actually helps level the playing field for teachers from the wider world outside of Europe. This can only benefit the students who deserve the best teachers in the world, rather than the best teachers that were slightly cheaper to hire because they didn't need to apply for a work visa.

2. My partner is in the same situation as yours :) Her CELTA has allowed her to get a job with a work visa in a foreign land.

3. I am planning to retire in a country that doesn't recognise my British passport as a qualification for a retirement visa. So I am working hard now to satisfy other retirement visa conditions for that country in the future.

16. Muso87

Muso87 New commenter

Fair enough... just a heads up though: My colleague has lived in Asia for decades, and her kids held European passports. However, when they applied for universities in Europe, they were considered to be "international students" by the admissions officers, and had to pay international student fees. Apparently this was because the students had studied their A Levels in Asia, and not spent enough time in Europe in the preceding few years.

17. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

I really don't know what my husband and I will do. In the long term we don't want to live in the UK again, and I'm not sure we'd be able to move to my home country to retire or what the situation would be for us in an EU country. So we're not left with many options. I worry about retirement, pensions and savings but just don't know what we should do. There isn't much that keeps me up at night, but all this uncertainty sure does.

18. percy topliss

Cheers, however, International fees in all of these countries are a lot less than those in the UK. For example, for one of my International students to study Business at Birmingham last year would have been 15'000+ pounds per year. At Erasmus in Rotterdam it would be about a third of that including living expenses.

Frugally,

Perce

19. Beagles111

Beagles111 New commenter

I am really not sure what the future holds although I am absolutely sure that in my 50 years on the planet I have never seen anyone or any entity make such a mess of anything as the British government. and I include the opposition in this sweeping statement, has made of this whole sorry Brexit mess. From Cameron and his blase attitude; to Gove, Johnson and the other self seekers and finally to the country now being run, to all intents and purposes, by a bunch of loony red neck unionists, we must be the laughing stock of, well, everyone, everywhere. People in Filton yesterday were interviewed saying that although they voted to leave the EU they hadn't realised that that might mean Airbus leaving, what? Airbus based in Toulouse, France, right? It really would be funny if peoples lives and futures didn't depend upon it.
    I would like to go to bed and wake up in about 20 years when sense has prevailed.

shazzamac, nemo., ed717 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Both my sons were given UK fee status in spite of having been out of the UK since they were in primary school. The key issue was that they would have met the UK residence requirements had it not been for their parents' temporary employment abroad (easily demonstrable by producing copies of our various visas). Of course this was some years ago and the regulations may have changed. What will not have changed is that HM government will carefully avoid giving enquirers any information that might helpful.