1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brexit will be so great and in unrelated news 3500 jobs to go in Swindon

Discussion in 'Personal' started by afterdark, Feb 19, 2019.

1. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

All these folks who claimed Brexit will be sooo great...
    A large number of these are now getting nationalities elsewhere.

And in unrelated news, 3500 jobs to go in Swindon

"Mr Howells said that, in the light of changes in the industry, the company had to "look very closely" at where it was putting its investment. "It has to be in a marketplace of a size for Honda, where it makes investment worthwhile."

This seems to rather contradict

"This is not a Brexit-related issue for us, it's being made on the global-related changes I've spoken about."

I wonder how the leave voters in Swindon feel now...

nizebaby and Vince_Ulam like this.
  2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Honda's president and CEO, Takahiro Hachigo, stated clearly today that his company's decisions was taken "to reflect stronger demand in Asia and North America".

So where is the contradiction? Honda seems to be saying that demand in Europe is shrinking, so maintaining manufacture in Europe would be a poor investment decision.

install, nomad and sparklesparkle like this.
  3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Will the last company to leave Britain please close the door.

4. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

5. florian gassmann

That's a hopelessly confused list, with some of those companies leaving the UK because of Brexit, many of them not leaving because of Brexit, and quite a few not leaving at all but simply nominating a branch in Eire or in Europe as their HQ in order to avoid any interruption to trade in case of no deal.

I suppose it's what we have to expect from the twittering of Fake News mills these days. :(

nomad and sparklesparkle like this.
  6. Ivartheboneless

Dyson went ages ago because he is like Sir Philip Greed and wants to wallow in a swimming pool filled with cash. Smart marketing, overpriced goods.

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Brexit is going very well, there'll be blue passports and everything.

11238739385_09824b55c8.jpg

Nanook_rubs_it likes this.
  8. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Really? We should take the CEO's word for it because...?

9. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Don't you ever get the feeling guys that we've had enough.

COME ON BREXIT - LET'S HAVE IT NOW - I HAVEN'T BEEN POOR SINCE 1983

phlogiston likes this.
  11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I guess an economic decision is also influenced by the new Japan/EU free trade deal which means that Japanese car manufacturers can build their cars somewhere cheaper without being penalised by tariffs when imported to the EU.

12. Ivartheboneless

Erm... forgive me bringing this up but didn't the SMMT say that the downturn in sales of cars in the UK was due to uncertainty caused br Brexit? (To be honest car manufacturers are shifting production from "expensive" countries with employment laws to seatshop countries where they can pay the workers half a groat a week, e.g. Poland, Slovakia, Romania, and of course China and India.) But then we will still pay extra to import vehcles from those places.

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

And of course - the brexiteers will be getting the sovereignty that they never lost - back again

14. florian gassmann

Yes, I made that very point yesterday.

15. florian gassmann

Car sales are stagnating across western Europe. Even the best forecast is for growth of only 1.3% this year:

upload_2019-2-19_16-0-54.jpeg

As the boss of Honda said, the growth areas are the USA (despite Trump!) and Asia.

16. install

install Star commenter

Project Panic is alive and kicking I see..

Will you be saying next that you do not believe in the moon landings ...?.
    Or that Japan does not exist ?
    Or that there is no global recession on the way ? ​

17. Ivartheboneless

Growth? Why growth? You can only sell so many cars to so many people. That is a flawed economic plan. Once everybody who wants one has got one, what then? They tried it with the (big con) scrappage scheme, which actually exacerbated diesel production falsely so manufacturers went nuts producing diesels which suddenly sensible people do not want (sensible people never did). You are highlighting one of the big flaws in Western capitalism, the constant need for grwoth, and "success" only being measured by growth. Apple have seen this with iPhone demand, Microsoft are seeing it. And we are in an economic downturn (despite the politicians trying to talk it up, just as they did last time). Brexit is exacerbating this and the UK is going to suffer worst for it by shuffling off the level of protection that Europe offered us. We will end up a third world country.

18. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

"We are leaving by our own Accord."

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It's not project panic - It's project taking the p**s out of people I can't take seriously.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  20. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

You Amaze me with your Clarity. You're a Legend.

Duke of York likes this.