1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brexit starts

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Oct 1, 2016.

1. irs1054

irs1054 Lead commenter

A classic case of projection. Your arguments are dishonest. You are the one that has said in post after post that no promise was made because the word "promise" wasn't used. You have also argued that it couldn't have been a promise because the word "let's" was used and this only means "suggestion". (it doesn't) (And if you haven't been saying this then your arguments make no sense whatsoever.)

Both these are completely wrong and I am not the only one pointing this out to you, but as is often the case, you just ignore things which inconvenient to you and go on arguing the self same points that have been refuted. Such behaviour is basically that of a troll.

The evidence is in this thread in various posts not just mine. I really don't see why it is necessary to indulge someone who engages in this sort of behaviour.

2. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Lead commenter

No- it's only an offer.

Much like the price on a tin of beans in Tesco is only an offer- not a promise to give said tin of beans.
    But when you pay the price they are asking they are obliged to supply the tin of beans.

The bus offered £350 million a week for the NHS in exchange for people voting leave. As we keep being told - the people voted leave. Now it is up to the Leave campaign to honour their side of the bargain.

Should I hope for a reply?

sabrinakat likes this.
  3. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Awkward, given they have no power to do so then or now.

4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

How would the 'leave campaign' execute such a requirement?

5. irs1054

irs1054 Lead commenter

But that's the whole point about everything to do with the referendum.

The electorate was supposed to play ball and vote remain and so whether it was an offer, a political promise or anything else wouldn't matter because the circumstances wouldn't come to pass.

But, as we all know, it didn't work out that way.

Polly Toynbee described the campaign (both sides) as a jolly, public school jape where truth and accuracy just didn't figure. Also not figuring, any sort of responsibility for the possible consequences.

The result is that the British electorate have been sold up the river. This was not democracy, it was a travesty of democracy made possible by the fact that we don't have a proper constitution.

Burndenpark likes this.
  6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Both sides of the argument lied or if you wish to be kind, distorted the truth.
    Both sides failed to put forward detailed and honest arguments to support their view.
    It was right IMO., that the electorate were allowed to decide.
    Whether their decision would have been different had the debate been honest and informed is something we will never know.

burajda, irs1054 and wanet like this.
  7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I did too. It certainly made me realise why getting out would be a disaster.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

But given the Remain campaign, what are the chances?

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I'm no fan of Polly but I think she nailed it.

burajda and irs1054 like this.
  10. irs1054

irs1054 Lead commenter

I certainly don't wish to be kind about either side. The debacle from beginning to end was an abuse of British electorate.

Burndenpark likes this.
  11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

It was very poor along with the media coverage which could have shone a light on things had they not been so partisan, on both sides.

12. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Will we still be arguing about the bus on 30/03/18?

13. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Lol, it gets funnier everyday

An absolute disaster, and getting worse all the time.

I'm sure sense will prevail and some halfway house will be found where the clowns who voted out can save face, and the country survives without having to undergo a long-term financial disaster

Burndenpark likes this.
  14. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I have said in post after post that if a promise was intended, the word promise would have been used rather than the word "let's" which is a suggestion.

Even if you don't believe the definition in the OED, plain common sense should tell you that the Leave team could not possibly have promised anything because they were not - and never will be, now they are disbanded - a government.

lexus300 likes this.
  15. irs1054

irs1054 Lead commenter

LOL, You really have no idea do you? You have just admitted my case against you.

You have no idea of what the definition you are talking about actually is. It doesn't just include "suggestion". But then, you have already demonstrated your lack of ability to deal with dictionaries.

It doesn't matter whether the people concerned could ever have enacted the promise. All that matters is what happened at the time. An empty promise is still a promise of sorts.

16. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

The beans on the shelf with a price tag are not an offer. They are an 'invitation to treat'.

Didactylos4 likes this.
  17. burajda

burajda Lead commenter

The Limp Dems said lets cut student fees. They had no power to do so. the electorate hammered them later on. Despite the 'facts', this Conservative Brexit government will be blamed if there is no commitment to significant extra NHS spending, well beyond the feeble £8 billion promised over 5 years.

18. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

From the pro-Brexit Express:

Why EU MUST budge on Brexit: Experts warn Eurotunnel will be blocked for SEVEN YEARS
    CUSTOMS declarations will explode in the wake of Brexit causing huge border delays for seven years without a transitional agreement, experts have warned.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...e-Eurotunnel-Dover-Calais-blocked-seven-years

Now who will suffer more if this is correct - or even only partially correct - the UK or the EU?

19. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

sparkleghirl likes this.
  20. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Lead commenter

Just about to post that same link.

Had it been known that Brexit would jeopardise the peace agreement and/or NI's place within the UK, would it have changed the outcome? Or would most people not care enough about Ireland?