1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brexit starts

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Oct 1, 2016.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I am stuck for time today, I am out all day and late now, I will get back to you on this tomorrow. However, the remain lies/distortions and misleading statements are documented by a number of sources, lets make a start with the Chancellors statements on increased taxation and the emergency budget if we were to Brexit. Would you not agree that that was at the very least threatening rather than honest?

2. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

OK- no problem- enjoy.

It was no more a threat than a doctor telling us that we should not pursue our plan to start eating 20 cream cakes a day or we'll risk weight gain and type two diabetes. It's a reasonable warning of the probable consequences.
    In the end what we've got is another doctor accepting that we are going to eat those 20 cream cakes a day, so he's banned us from eating pork pies and pizzas (prolonged austerity) and has made our kids agree to a long term care plan for us (the loans they will have to pay back).

3. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The big problem with trade is that WTO rules work very well with goods but not services. We are a big exporter of services to the EU and about 12-15% of our GDP is reliant on the value of exports to the EU. In return only about 3% of the GDP of the other EU countries is earned in both goods and services by exporting to the UK. Under WTO rules it would be very difficult for the UK to raise tariffs on EU goods such as BMWs. It is far easier to block out services unfortunately.

4. burajda

burajda Star commenter

I'm glad you have a life outside. You do spend too much time on here. Enjoy your day.

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

That's right. In fact, there are no WTO rules for services, and neither is there an EU single market in services (they've tried but failed to create one).

London is the world leader for the clearing of all types of currency-denominated derivatives, thanks largely to the widespread acceptance of English law and investors like London because of its tight financial regulation. Yes, banking crisis, I know, but for instance London does the entire nightly clearing of derivatives for the entire Eurozone area, even though we don't use the Euro ourselves - the UK is well liked for this type of service.

The current thinking seems to be that the EU's MiFID II agreement may ensure that we are likely to retain passporting rights because it declares that financial institutions in any non-EEA state can offer their services in the EEA provided that their home jurisdiction is deemed MiFID equivalent (which the UK is, of course). This does remain to be seen, of course - it is again unchartered territory.

MiFID is the EU's Markets in Financial Instruments Directive.

6. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

According the Telegraph, I may be safe:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-stay-after-brexit-600000-will-be-given-amne/

just now:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...t-nationals-uk-stay-immigration-a7351446.html

Technically, even though my Residence Card expires in 2020, I first was given 'permission to stay' in April 2014, so my five years is in 2019 and under the remit (barely) of the five year rule. If this is true, it makes my life so much easier.

It really, really, really hope it's true.

Burndenpark likes this.
  7. sabrinakat

8. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The Eu pickers work hard and often live in barracks and caravans. They can earn more than national minimum wages by picking large volumes.
    Farmers would probably have to subsidise the wages of most local British pickers to meet national minimum wage. British pickers may also have to travel some distance to get to the fields.
    What would happen is that as paying the British pickers would leave the farmers out of pocket then the farmers would probably mechanise the whole operation. Young Britons therefore would still not be able to engage with the 'countryside matters' of single crop high pesticide intensive agribusiness, long hours, low pay, short term contracts and too often exploitation.

catmother and sabrinakat like this.
  9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I very much hope so, and that you do not need to keep worrying.

sabrinakat likes this.
  10. CedricDaniels

CedricDaniels Established commenter

That is not subsidy. It's complying with employment law.

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Nah, you'll desert us for a Trumped-up Paradise in the west.

12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Very big of "them" to allow me to stay! Still this does not make up for my status being changed to "migrant" and not Catmother/French/ happens to have based herself in the UK since 83 because she likes it here.

13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

14. sabrinakat

Will I have to wear a little American flag? Or something yellowish and starry instead with USA written on it?

15. FrankWolley

If true - good news:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...al-foreign-staff-numbers-abandoned?CMP=twt_gu

Justine Greening, the education secretary, announced on Sunday that companies will not be forced to publish the data as suggested by the home secretary, Amber Rudd, during the Conservative party conference.

She said the information would be confidential and instead used by the government to identify skills shortages rather than to “name and shame” businesses that rely on foreign employees.

16. sabrinakat

As I remember, the Nazis asked for lists of non-desirables first....

On a personal note, though - the Home Office had my address and sent texts and letters threatening deportation following their initial rejection of my application for a Residence Card - that was lots of fun! I took to carrying my spouse's passport and checking carefully whoever was at the door :(

17. CedricDaniels

CedricDaniels Established commenter

Amercans are usually easy to identify already.

18. FrankWolley

University of Oxford appeals to Theresa May for greater clarity on future of EU staff

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news...ears-job-research-funding-losses-post-brexit/

Brexit could have dire consequences for global research, staff employment and academic funding, warns Oxford’s Vice-Chancellor, Professor Louise Richardson. Oxford University has been crowned the world’s number one university, beating far wealthier institutions such as Harvard, Yale and Princeton, but Prof Richardson warned the ranking could be put in jeopardy by Brexit. She appealed to the government of Theresa May for greater clarity on the future of Oxford’s staff who are from the EU. The fallout from the June 23rd decision dominated the vice-chancellor’s oration at Convocation House, in Oxford, earlier this week. ‘We should not be judged by passport colour’ “I have spent my professional life in universities in different countries in which one was judged by the quality of one’s mind not the colour of one’s passport. We must maintain that attitude,” said Prof Richardson. She said she had never before been forced to consider where her academic staff came from, but paid tribute to the EU citizens who had made a significant contribution to global research and whose future at the institution was unclear.

19. FrankWolley

20. FrankWolley

The loudest sound in Birmingham was of doors being slammed shut

Some dire warnings here:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/09/brexit-theresa-may-philip-hammond-business

In June, it was not a given that Britain would do Brexit the hard way. Out had won, but only narrowly. There was much room for interpretation of what that meant. There was quite a lot of talk from leading Outers about needing to respect the 48% who voted the other way. Once the forces of Remain had recovered from the shock of their defeat, they initially remustered around the cause of preserving British membership of the single market and with it the trade and investment on which so many livelihoods depend. They could cite the Tory party’s election manifesto. This had clearly suggested that, even if Britain voted to leave the EU, a Conservative government would sustain membership of the single market. The manifesto promised: “We are clear about what we want from Europe. We say: yes to the Single Market”. That, Remainers declared, was the trench where they would dig in.

That trench is still there, but I found very few people left defending it in Birmingham. The Tories are plunging towards hard Brexit and a riven Labour party is not in a fit condition to stop them. After an initial period of complacency, investors are waking up to the prospect that Britain could lurch out of the EU without reliable access to her most important markets. The more loudly her activists cheered Mrs May, the faster came the plunge in the pound. By the end of the week, sterling had dropped so vertiginously that one pound didn’t buy one euro at bureaux de change. As it has become clearer that Britain’s government is tilting towards the Full Monty Brexit, so European leaders have hardened their language about the penalty that will entail.

Why has this happened? A large part of the explanation is Mrs May and how she is choosing to resolve the paradox of being a prime minister tasked by the voters to deliver an outcome that she campaigned against. Many of the hardline Tory Brexiters were highly wary when she first moved into Number 10 because she had been a Remainer, albeit a near-invisible one, during the referendum campaign. Now the Brexiters speak of Mrs May in glowing terms. “It turns out that having a Remainer as prime minister has worked perfectly for us,” one remarked to me. “She has to keep proving to us and the party that she is serious.”

And I think this comment under the article is pertinent:

Some of us can still remember what a **** state this country was in before we joined the EEC and back then we still had trading links with the commonwealth. But before someone blames the strength of the unions, remember our fathers and grandfathers fought two wars to gain those rights and the Tories have been taking then back for the last 40 years. Only the ECHR has slowed them down, and May has plans to rid herself of that.

This Tories government is about to cut off our nose to spite the EU, and the rest of us will pay the price, because anyone who thinks Fox as trade minister is competent, or our civil service is up to negotiating in the global market is several shillings short of a quid.