1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brexit starts

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Oct 1, 2016.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Theresa May will announce tomorrow that she will repeal the 1972 European Communities Act in a move that will formally begin the process of making Britain’s Parliament sovereign once again. It is her first firm commitment on Brexit since becoming Prime Minister in July.

The government will introduce, in the next Queen’s Speech, a 'Great Repeal Bill' that will remove the European Communities Act from the statute book. Consequently, EU law will be transposed into domestic law, wherever practical, on exit day.

peter12171 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Be curious to see what 'unwanted elements' the Tories will disregard from EU Law - but I'm sure that they will consider the greater good, of course ;)*

*for themselves, hahahahaha.....

slingshotsally likes this.
  3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Call me a pedant if you wish, but how is possible for a government to do this if it hasn't remained sovereign?

We can forget all the b.ollox about getting our country back now the campaigning is over. It should be apparent to even the biggest fool that without sovereignty, the wishes of the British people could never be met.

4. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter Forum guide

DoY
    Please don't start bringing logic into the Brexit debate. It really isn't what we expect
    (and it really isn't British , you know)

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

Besides DOY your acting as a defeatist like so many remainders.
    Give folks a chance....as long as she doesnt go back on the will of the people I am prepared to watch and see.......at least she is rooting out the cronies of the last PM.

wanet, lexus300 and nomad like this.
  6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Maggie Thatcher all over again, the poor people don't know what's best but Nanny does!

Burndenpark and sabrinakat like this.
  7. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

David Davies explains it perfectly:

“EU law will be transposed into domestic law, wherever practical, on exit day,” he will say. “It will be for elected politicians here to make the changes to reflect the outcome of our negotiation and our exit. That is what people voted for: power and authority residing once again with the sovereign institutions of our own country.”

So if a law is there and we do not like it, whereas before we'd have to ask the EU for permission to change it and have to abide by their decision, now we will not have to do either. That ' we' means our elected reps, whether the Tories or UKIP :)

8. SirPurrAlot

SirPurrAlot Occasional commenter

If she was really like Maggie Thatcher, surely Theresa May would ignore the will of the "poor people" and leave the UK in the European Union?

wanet, BelleDuJour and lexus300 like this.
  9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Isn't it a bit grandiose to claim that "Brexit Starts" when all that has happened is that Mrs May has said that she plans to announce that an announcement will be made next spring that a bill will be introduced at some time in the future that will not take effect until some later time in the future?

racroesus likes this.
  10. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

I think the notesworthy thing here is she has, at last, been quite clear and concrete in her use of language and detail re dates. Until now all we have heard is 'Article 50...Brexit is Brexit and next year, maybe early...now run along folks'

Saying you do intend to repeal the European Act and when is - for her - quite a big move.

It will certainly cause calm in the Brexit camp or panic if the anti democracy camp as she does, to her credit, keep making her original claims to respect the vote seem more and more correct.

Agree though we need to watch and listen to her actual words and actions these next days to distinguish a reporter's reality and .....reality.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Possibly, but then you have a wide choice of 'starts'. Referendum, Queen's Speech, publication of the Bill, Repeal of the Act, triggering of Article 50, completion, etc.

When did your current job 'start'? Decision to change? reading advert? writing the application? posting it? interview? acceptance? first day?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    emerald52 likes this.
  12. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Yeah. The will of the people, as long as they're English (minus London) and Welsh.

13. florian gassmann

I expect it will be really nail-biting stuff like tobacco growing rules, olive oil production subsidies, plans to make retailers sell eggs by weight and so forth.

lexus300 and kareneliot like this.
  14. florian gassmann

I've never understood why some people claim not to understand that Brexit means that we leave the EU. It obviously follows from that the 1972 Act is going to have to be repealed. Still, I can see there is a certain symbolism in making the announcement.

I just fear that it will be announced and re-announced for years to come under the pretext of "news".

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    sabrinakat likes this.
  15. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

vbikshapathi and Burndenpark like this.
  16. florian gassmann

That doesn't seem at all confusing to me. Boris says Brexit means we are leaving the institution known as the EU. It doesn't mean that we cease belonging to Europe. You might decide to cease belonging to the AA - that doesn't mean that you cease being a motorist.

lexus300 likes this.
  17. bonkers 704

bonkers 704 Lead commenter

This so-called Great Repeal Bill is a load of nothing. Parliament exercising the sovereign authority it has always possessed to repeal one of its own previous Acts. Since EU Law will by default continue to be UK law, at present it is impossible to know how this will affect our laws in the future. Over the next few months, I hope there is forensic examination of the EU laws this means we keep, and which ones are likely to be jettisoned in the future. At the moment I would simply advise trades unions, consumer rights groups etc to look very carefully at which rights etc are protected by EU Directives, rather than domestic law, and gear up to start campaigning to protect them.

emerald52 and sabrinakat like this.
  18. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Not until it was given the mandate by the people, would it do so. There was and is until we leave no way we could overturn EU law and directives while members. Our politicians had agreed to give up those rights by accepting this Act.

lexus300 likes this.
  19. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The world has moved on a long way since 1972. It's quite likely that the EU laws affecting our rights will have become British law anyway, had we never been part of the EU.

20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Listening to TM this morning and if she was telling the truth then we have little to worry about there.