1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brexit humour

Discussion in 'Personal' started by InkyP, Oct 8, 2018.

1. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Apologies for starting another Brexit thread but it amuses me that non-European countries are using it as a source of humour.

In the Good Place (American ) it was referred to as something inexplicable happening as a result of a demon meddling in human lives.

In No Activity (an Australian series on BBC - crude but funny) a man uses it as a reason for his business failing then argues with his wife over how to pronounce it - Breggsit or Breksit.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There's nothing even remotely funny about Brexit

sparkleghirl likes this.
  3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

You can find humour in the darkest places. They didn't seem to be implying it was a good idea.

monicabilongame likes this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Go on then - tell me what's funny about Brexit ?

5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

How will Christmas dinner be different after Brexit?

No Brussels.

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

You would have to watch the programmes concerned I suppose. They were probably laughing at us.

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

In the same way we laugh at Trump. He's not funny either.

8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I loved that teabag anaolgy on another thread.

Brexit is like a cup of tea

If you leave the tea bag in, the tea becomes stronger, and although it appears the tea bag s becoming weaker, it is actually part of a stronger whole.

If you take the tea bag out, the whole cup of tea is weaker, and the tea bag gets thrown straight into the bin!

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Banksy's take on it, strategically placed on a wall beside the main road into the Port of Dover, where the queues will form in the event of no deal:

[​IMG]

10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

But if you don’t like how other people make the tea, you should have the option of making your own - and possibly finding out that one tea bag can make more than one satisfactory cuppa!:rolleyes:

11. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I can imagine a variation on 'Capstick Comes Home'. "We'll 'ave lots of things after Brexit that tha d'aint 'ave today; like ration books, and polio."

monicabilongame and Geoff Thomas like this.
  12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

There is nothing funny about war but it has been a rich source of humour - The Wipers Times? And many ww2 comedies which we might not even find that funny now but were relevant then. Sometimes if you didn't laugh you'd cry.

13. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

do you remember when Angus Deaton hosted "have I got news for you"

I'm still so grateful for him for the episode directly after the bringing down of the twin towers.

14. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

15. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

Today seemed like as good a day as any to revive this thread.

My favourite so far:

IMG_0863.jpg

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

This situation is funny ?

It's a f****g tragedy.

17. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

It's funny in the same way that 'Blackadder Goes Forth' is funny.

We are nearing the last scene; 'Good luck everybody...'

18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Dominic Raab is the biggest joke of all, with the fact the Brexit Secretary has resigned over a deal he had put forward himself.

19. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Stupidity is funny.

20. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

It's funny in its absurdity.
    Raab gave us a few laughs last week with his new geographical consciousness.

For the two or three generations coming after me, it's not funny in the slightest.