1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brexit Ferry update

Discussion in 'Personal' started by afterdark, Feb 10, 2019.

1. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

It wasn't legal advice and the consultants advised against Seaborne.
    I don't understand your need to change it to fit your narrative.
    You could apply that to many in the public sector.

sparklesparkle likes this.
  2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Ah, so they paid 800 000 of our money for advice then ignored it and went with a company which had no ferries.

afterdark likes this.
  3. LondonCanary

Well not our money, but you have finally got there.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

They went for two companies (DFDS and Brittany Ferries) with a large number of ferries and considerable experience of Ro-Ro operations. Seaborne would only have handled 10% of the business even if they had leased a vessel or two, and even then only if there was any work for them to do.

sparklesparkle likes this.
  5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Not arguing with any of that - but that still doesn't explain why Seabourne Freight was given a contract when it was clearly not in a position (and was unlikely to reach such a position) to be able to deliver. Surely the government needed a contract with a company which (like DFDS & BF) had 'a large number of ferries and considerable experience of Ro-Ro operations'.
    This isn't the time to be encouraging new small businesses but for ensuring post-Brexit life in Britain carries on as before when it comes to food and other traded goods.

It begs the question: was SF the best the government could get? If not, what was the reason for choosing them above others?

6. LondonCanary

Civil servants never have to explain unless dragged before a Select Committee

7. FredfromFrance

FredfromFrance New commenter

I just need to say that if civil servants and ministers can get away with this then capabilitying out experienced teachers because they marked a set of books in the wrong coloured pen and dare to be on UPS is even more of a sick, sick joke.

If accountability is SO important and we all need to be perfect in serving others, then surely this should be even more stringently applied to those at the top?

Sorry to change the subject a bit, but things are getting tense!

sparkleghirl and afterdark like this.
  8. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Going into conspiracy territory, part of their contact was to operationalise security at the Belgium port. I wonder if that was their actual speciality rather than the ferries

9. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

What is "the Belgium port", please?

Why would they "operationalise" security in another country? This doesn't make sense.

10. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

11. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Oostend
    "Channel 4 News has since revealed that the firm, which plans to operate shipping services from Ramsgate to Ostend in Belgium, will have a big role to play in security at the Belgium port."

12. sparklesparkle

Do you mean Belgian port?

13. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Things must have gone quiet on the UAE MoE threads over on Overseas.

14. sparklesparkle

First you say you are "bookmarking" my posts and now you are following my activity on other fora. I haven't posted on those threads for a couple of weeks.

[​IMG]

15. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

And now they've run out of time to sort any extra shipping in the event of a no-deal brexit...

No “large amount of further additional capacity” will be available across the Channel before the end of March, MPs were told – by either sea or rail.

“It would not be possible to complete procurement and make it operational for 29 March,” the Department for Transport’s director general admitted.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...XcDGA4r0OVkELe3gzAXP8f3tFES-MzIzPLtRNELBvP8l8

So perhaps the supermarket shelves WILL be empty...

Clare Moriarty, permanent secretary of the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), denied there would be “food shortages after a no-deal Brexit” – but acknowledged “issues for geographically vulnerable communities”.

16. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Yep - don't believe anything until it's been officially denied.

17. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

18. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I wonder if Grayling will respond by reminding us that Portillo was the Tory who consistently failed to become party leader? After being beaten by Ian Duncan Smith (of all people!) Portillo realised that his future lay in making endless TV programmes about railways. Or perhaps Grayling will be too polite to remind us of Portillo's slide down the greasy pole.