1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brexit Ferry update

Discussion in 'Personal' started by afterdark, Feb 10, 2019.

1. colpee

colpee Star commenter

It would be some comfort to think that there was a dastardly conspiracy plan, but TBH the simple answer is the most likely - a clot in charge, blundering around grasping at any weird idea that he hopes will give some impression of planning and action, and oblivious to the fact that he is merely publicising his incompetence.

2. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

I am not a Tory. Perhaps by "Tory" you actually mean "a person who has decent reasoning skills"?

You stated: "This is statement that seems designed to avoid saying that money has been leost elsewhere.
    So what monies have been lost and where did it all go?"

I asked you to explain why you think money has been lost and you responded with abuse.

Please explain how the pizza takeaway leaflet is relevant to money getting lost.

I take it you don't have any evidence that money has actually been lost?

3. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

That is my point.

Does awarding a contract have zero cost ? I doubt it.

Also the awarding of the contract stopped Thanet council from cutting 730 k pounds from spending on the port. That money could have been distributed elsewhere. Almost certainly saving the taxpayer money, don't you believe it that type of thing.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47163350

Have spurious loans been taken out by the company awarded a 13 Million pound contract?

Your straw man arguments are weak. I'll quote myself.

4. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hello everyone,
    This seems to be a common occurance, posting the following message on forum threads but I'll do it again for those who have not read the house rules, forgotten them or choose to ignore them:

Please can I remind you all about the following:

Code of conduct:

Respect others
    • The TES Community has thousands of members who may not agree with your opinions or share your beliefs, but please be polite and respectful when communicating with other members.

Forum netiquette:
    • Don't pick on or bully another user.
    • Stick to the topic when posting a message. Don't post unrelated comments.
    • If you post a message with the sole purpose of winding others up, this is called flaming. If you are flamed and you attack back, you will spark a flame war.
    • If you don't enjoy the topic of the thread, close it and open another or start your own but don't leave a rude post. The same applies if you don't like a post.
    • Remember other users are human beings with feelings and emotions so think before you type.
    The forum members that post in accordance to the T&Cs, community guidelines and Code of Conduct deserve to be treated with respect when they visit this site not to mention the people who come here to read the information in the forums.

Members agreed to follow the house rules and the moderation policy when they registered on the site. If they breach the house rules then sanctions will be enforced. The moderation policy states:

Please note: We reserve the right to remove content, lock threads, ban members or moderate user posts in our moderated forums at our discretion.

Threads or posts may be deleted and members may be banned at the sole discretion of TES moderation staff without notice.

We reserve the right to amend our moderation policy at any time without notice.

Please also remember that we will not enter into any debates regarding any sanction.

Just to make it clear that this message is also a warning. People who deliberately breach the house rules will face sanctions.

The house rules are there to maintain the spirit and tone of the Community. If any user fails to adhere to the house rules by making serious breaches or repeatedly flouting any of the other guidelines, terms and conditions, code of conduct and forum netiquette this will be considered a deliberate attempt to disrupt and destabilise the Community and as a result their posting privileges will be reviewed.

sparklesparkle and nomad like this.
  5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Can we please have the definition of "trolling" that you apply to this forum? I have looked online and there are several slightly different ones. It would help to know what you consider to be trolling, in order that it can be reported as such.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

7. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Soooo, rather than give the contracts openly to three EU companies, Seaborne was created as a front for an Irish ferry operator to save the government's face (what's left of it) and to pretend that some of the work would go to UK companies.

8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Was it? Is that an opinion among commentators?

9. sparklesparkle

Not as far as I know. Channel 4 news reported that the Irish company looked into tendering but they couldn't make it viable and turned it down. They didn't report any kind of a cover-up, but then again what would you expect. Channel 4's strings are no doubt pulled by the Tory/Zionist/lizard people cabal... :p

nomad likes this.
  10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I didn’t realise that sticking to the topic was a rule:eek: Thread drift is one of the pleasures of forum exchanges.

emerald52, afterdark and nomad like this.
  11. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

https://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons-committees/public-accounts/Correspondence/2017-19/Memorandum for PAC - The award of contracts for ferry services.pdf

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

800,000 quid on consultants is the cost.

monicabilongame likes this.
  12. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Grayling said that the Seaborne contract was "at no cost to the tax payer". There are two other, much larger contracts involved.

The £800,000 surely includes for consultancy on the 90% of work that was never going to be allocated to Seaborne?

This place gets more and more like an Infant School playground. :rolleyes:

sparklesparkle and nomad like this.
  13. sparklesparkle

You stated there was "money lost elsewhere" in your OP. You say it was "800,000 quid" and have linked to this document. I can find no evidence of "800,000 quid" in this document. Where is it please and why are you describing it as "lost"?

You stated yesterday that I lied but I hadn't done so. Have you read TES_Rosaline's post above? Chris Grayling stated there were no costs to the taxpayer with regard to Seaborne. Unless you can prove that there were costs with regard to Seaborne, [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]. This is against the TES terms and conditions and it may be actionable in law.
    Unless you can provide clarification and evidence, you are proven wrong.

14. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Because you did not look perhaps?

Page 15

"For work relating to the procurement process up to the end of December 2018, the
    Department spent approximately £800,000 on its external consultants: Slaughter & May;
    Deloitte; and Mott MacDonald."

Here is the quote in the UK news.

Mr Grayling said "not a penny of taxpayers' money has gone, or will go" to Seaborne Freight.

from BBC news

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-poli...ing-on-ending-seaborne-freight-ferry-contract

And as I pointed out, he is avoiding talking about the other costs, e.g. the consultants.
    https://news.sky.com/story/transpor...exit-ferry-contract-cancellation-fee-11634767

15. florian gassmann

sparklesparkle likes this.
  16. sparklesparkle

The consultancy fees have been spend ON THE TENDERING PROCESS NOT ON SEABORNE FREIGHT.

Apologies to other users for writing in capitals but it seems the OP is deliberately missing this fact.
    It is against the TES terms and conditions and potentially libellous.

17. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] his response is his way of smugly avoiding the fact that this decision and subsequent u-turn will ultimately cost the taxpayer money.

You might find this obfuscation acceptable, I do not. After 10 years of grinding Tory Austerity it is yet another insult to the taxpaying public. I do not consider a politician avoiding the issue of nearly a million pounds of tax payers money has been spent in this farce.

monicabilongame likes this.
  18. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

19. sparklesparkle

You linked to a document which clearly stated three companies were awarded tenders. At least one other tendered for the contract and withdrew. The consultants' fees were spent on ALL COMPANIES. They were undertaking a process known as due diligence, which the government is obliged to undertake in order to verify the companies are reliable.

In post 34 you said: "Mr Grayling said "not a penny of taxpayers' money has gone, or will go" to Seaborne Freight." This is correct

20. florian gassmann

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    sparklesparkle likes this.