1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brexeternity?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mrsmumbles, Nov 18, 2018.

?

Accept the Deal, Peoples' Vote First, or Leave with Nowt?

Poll closed Nov 25, 2018.
  1. Accept the Deal, pretty much as it is now. Assume it's the current crock.

14.3%
  2. Go for a People's Vote First

71.4%
  3. Leave With Nowt

14.3%
  1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Are we all sick of it now then? I am! :mad::mad: Events of the past few days have proved that a drooling monkey with severe palsy would have made a better parliamentarian than our current clump of overmighty subjects. Hardly the best advert for the 'posh prep to posh boarder to PPE at Oxbridge to Parliament' route of life, is it? Massive fail. Look at them all! An odiously feudal line up of self-interested rogues. No idea what they're doing. May at least is trying. Not sure at what, or in what sense of the verb, but there it is. Mess.

Raab, Gove, Lead-brain, Davies, Ivan the Terrible, Jacob Reek-Smog, Richard III, Idiot 'Dome-Head' Cummings, Bojo, all the rest of the extreme self-serving out-of-touch toff right wing Tory eejits, the disappointingly febrile 'not really a working class hero at all' Corbyn, the gobby Sturgeon and the even gobbier and irresponsible press, Farage the Doom-Maker, the BNP, UKIP, EDL, NF, NA, UFO, AWOL, PTSD and large swathes of Lincolnshire are:

F*****ng STUPID!

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Selfish, blinkered, arrogant. Haven't a clue about how Brexit could impact on the little people. It's 'Game of Thrones' meets 'Tellytubbies'. What must Europe think of us? Luxemburg's officials got us down to a tee. There we were, before, in the Eu 'with opt-outs,...now we want to be out of the EU, with opt-ins'. Insane.

In the Leave corner, you have: that bastion of professional journalism, the.... Daily Express! In Remain, however, we have the Guardian, the Independent, centrists, and, judging by last month's march, most of London. Then to top it all, today, Gobbo Marr got really nasty with Baroness Shami Chakrabarti, who dared to be mildly sarky towards her after he'd bulldozer-interrupted over her for about the tenth time in the interview. (why do journalists do that? It's SO unprofessional and annoying, like a spoilt kid flicking through channels all the time) Marr, you're a disgrace. Labour, so are you. Sturgeon, get off our Union! And UK: let's demand a people's vote. We cannot just sit by and do nothing as the inevitable fiscal fallout trashes all the tattered remnants of the public sector, wrecks family finances and forces us to swallow a political toorde of the squelchiest proportions. I hate EU red tape and domineering more than anyone. But this deal won't help solve the issues and is going to leave a lot of people very, very skint. Two years ago, I voted 'Leave' out of pragmatism. Ireland would always pose difficulties. And now here we are...

Alice K likes this.
  2. Mrsmumbles

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

One of your choices is "Go for a people's vote first".

Given that the legislation and preparation for a refendum takes 6-9 months, am I right in thinking this People's Vote would be after the UK has left the EU?

If so, what would the question be? Would it be "Did we do the right thing in leaving with no deal?" :eek:

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

There won't be any further concessions for us from Europe. They think the UK has gone totally bonkers.

But in the bright side I have heard talk of food parcels being sent if Boris at al get their way and there is no deal followed by chaos...

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  5. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

So what do you want now?

6. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

It doesn't take a genius to recognise that May holds all the cards. She's bullet-proof now.

It's like watching Thatcher after a Damascene conversion.

7. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

His questioning was dogged it because he was trying to get some information from her regarding what Labour would do differently, apart from "creating a better atmosphere at the negotiating table", which was the best she could come up with. He was understandably annoyed when she suggested he was not a democrat, and came right back at her.

Chakrabati was OK when she was at Liberty, but she comes across as unconvincing as a Labour spokesperson. She was wittering on, saying nothing of substance, which is why she came under pressure from Marr. She really looked like she did not want to be there in the first place, and was only there under some kind of duress.

8. Jude Fawley

Why anyone would want to spoil their Sunday morning by watching middle class people trying to talk street cred is beyond me.

9. Mrsmumbles

Well they’re going to have a get a shift on then, aren’t they?! About time politicians out in the hours, I’d say. We have to be sure about this. I think most remain voters knew what they were voting for. A lot of leavers are starting to wake up to the idea that the deal is NOT going to be a utopian Britannia of lush green grasslands,wealth and prosperity for all. It is going to divide the UK even more and turn the clock back to 1946.

Alice K likes this.
  10. Mrsmumbles

Old Trussy and his last,s will let us back in, especially if we slip them a few million. I cannot even start to think what this will do to the London financial centres, housing, availability of EU trained builders, nurses, cleaners, teachers....oh blimey.

11. Mrsmumbles

St
    Oh God. I was so stressed, I can see that I posted a huge typo. I voted Remain in 2016. Always, always remain. Never thought anything other than Remain. I bet Shakespeare would have voted Remain as well. He liked England too much to see it descend into anarchy, Tory squabbles and even more poverty. No, I’m for Remain. I just cannot type!
    Ireland always looked too complicated,I aged and costly a situation to fix. And I didn’t see things as so broken they needed a Leave fix.

Alice K, monicabilongame and nizebaby like this.
  12. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Can't be done. The constitutional experts at LSE said that the last possible date for organising a referendum before 29th March was at the start of October, and even that was only possible if there was no disagreement about the question to ask and everything was rushed through as a priority.

In fact, the Electoral Commission said that the year and a month needed to organise the 2016 referendum was insufficient - an additional 3 months should be allocated in future.

13. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

A good shout at the telly in the morning wakes me up.
    :cool:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    Mrsmumbles likes this.
  14. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

As I have said before, the EU never has sat opposite true Brexiteers under the negotiation process at top level.

It could be very different if they do.

Whatever the truth, it is impossible not to think the EU were laughing and unable to hide their glee when it became clear remainer at heart May and arch remainer Robbins were the actual and real negotiators for the UK.

border_walker likes this.
  15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

What exactly does a true Brexiteer want and,more precisely a Tory politician Brexiteer want?

16. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

To leave the jurisdiction of the EU.

border_walker and lexus300 like this.
  17. Mrsmumbles

Yes indeed. The old ‘Gove, Bojo Mogg cushion flinging aerobics’ routine certainly gets the old heart rate up first thing. It’s my version of Orwell’s Two Minute’s Hate!

18. catmother

catmother Star commenter

And then what? It's still like dreaming of getting divorced and being free but forgetting about all the messy bits that need to be sorted out after a separation (the children/the pets/the house/the car/the pensions/the savings in the joint account/the holiday timeshare you got as a wedding present and so on).

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    mathsmutt, Mrsmumbles and Alice K like this.
  19. Jude Fawley

Once we're free you'll learn to be independent of mind and not keep asking questions for reassurance.

I know it's difficult if you've always lived under the cosh but there was a time when . . .

20. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

was about to ask what pragmatism!? but see this was a typo..!

This deal is as good as its going to get.