1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brecht workshop for A-Level

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by Farley, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Hello!

Does anyone have any ideas/experience of doing an hours lesson on Brecht at A-level which they would like to share? Would love a couple of pointers in terms of exercises to help them grasp the basic concepts. Will be working with texts such as Mother Courage and Th.Opera.

Any info gratefully received - many thanks,

Farley

2. Hello!

Does anyone have any ideas/experience of doing an hours lesson on Brecht at A-level which they would like to share? Would love a couple of pointers in terms of exercises to help them grasp the basic concepts. Will be working with texts such as Mother Courage and Th.Opera.

Any info gratefully received - many thanks,

Farley

3. hi there i have a scheme of work for chalk circle but it contains several 'exercises' or hour long workshops that i could let you have
    i would need your snal mail /email address

4. Hello, Farley!

Ooo, I'm very jealous. I'm now in an 11-16 school, so don't get to do Brecht. I have quite a lot of stuff, including a scheme of work on Brecht with practical exercises (it's written with blurb in between the lesson outlines, as it was for my pgce - but it has been tried and tested and works). Obviously you'd need to pick and choose to sift out just an hour, but if you'd like me to send you a copy, email me on: gillwinstanley@gmail.com.

5. Thanks so much guys - I really appreciate your help. I'll be emailing you all shortly.

Cheers
    Farley

6. Gillwin and Rentonave,

If you have time please could you email them to me as well. I am preparing an introduction lesson on Brecht - and am looking for some interesting, practical ideas.

Thank you

herringnicola@hotmail.com

7. jss

jss

Hello, sorry to be cheeky and jump on the end of this post but is there any chance you could please email it to me too? Thanks so much

sharonharrod99@hotmail.com

8. I've got that new Teaching Drama thing, and in the last issue they did a series of workshops on Stan, one for KS3, one for KS4 and one for KS5. The KS5 one is a great starting-point if you've not taught it before, and it says on the 'next issue' page that they're doing Brecht next. I've not considered using him for the lower years so I'm interested to see how that could be accomplished.

9. Hi Rentonave,

Would love to have look at your scheme of work. My email is rachiepoos@go.com. Many thanks. Farley

10. They do not fully understand Brectian styles until shown.

Try and ask them to do a fairy story in a Brechtian style, I have never laughed so much and they enjoyed it. One group did three little pigs as mafia gangsters. The wolf was the Don and the three little pigs owed rent.(did this with my degree students too worked well). This also works well for Grotowski.

11. Milly808,

What is 'that new teaching thing' ?

12. The new 'thing' is:
    'Teaching Drama' published by Rhinegold in a ring bound resource full of articles written by practising lecturers, teachers or experts.
    You should have had a flier(sp) at your school inviting you to subscribe?
    It has been a boon in my work on The Rivals this term.
    Good job!

Artaud- there is three pigs exercise in gillwin's stuff- have just been reading it- sooper dooper.
    Many thanks gillwin
    superb!

13. I would love any stuff people have on Brecht as well - I have little experience of Brecht myself so anyone who would like to send me their stuff I will be forever grateful!

stephaniearsoska@yahoo.co.uk

14. Glad you like it Taster, very funny. Strange to hear Artaud talking about a similar idea: thought that one was my own original!! Is that even possible anymore? Please note my slavery/hostages posting: need ideas!

Stefka: it's on it's way

15. teaching drama - as taster says, it's spiralbound, articles about practice and colleagues and so on at the start, reviews of DVDs, TIE etc at the end, and lots of lesson ideas etc in the middle, across all age groups. looks good, well laid out and good ideas, a really good KS3 scheme on monologue in the first one. seems to cover both boards at KS4 and 5. I like it, though it took a while to find the time to read it through.

16. could i be so cheeky as to ask for a copy of that scheme of work on Brecht. I am also delivering work on Brecht and need inspiration.. would be eternally greatful. My email address is bellacymru@hotmail.com Thank you xxx

17. hi, i was just searching ideas for teaching brecht and came across you guys, wondered if it would be possible to get a copy too? i know youve had a lot of requests, but id love u forever :), ive just started teaching my own year 12 group vinegar tom and am having problems knowing what to do with them and where we're going