1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

breathing exercises

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Wylfie, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Wylfie

Wylfie New commenter

Just wondering if anyone learnt any breathing exercises during their antenatal classes and if so did you actually find them useful during the terrifying period called labour?!

2. Not during antenatal classes but I did read Marie Mongan's hypnobirthing book and I think it got me through stage one of labour without me realising it. I managed to spend the first 6 hours of contractions at home and arrived at hospital fully dilated. Breathing went out the window for second stage though! Recommend the book anyway for taking a lot of the fear out of labour.

3. JTL

JTL New commenter

Admittedly, a long time ago for me, I found the breathing exercises taught at ante natal classes no use at all during my first two labours, but maybe that was because I had two long, difficult births. I ended up having epidurals. However, the third birth was very straightforward and quick and although I had had no further ante natal classes, I managed the breathing techniques and found them really helpful. No pain relief needed. A completely different experience as are all births.