1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Breastfeeding question:return to work.

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by ladymarm, May 29, 2012.

1. Hello, bit confused!
    I breastfeed baby morning and night. She is almost one and have just returned to work. My job involves running training in the evenings a couple of times a month or so, it varies.
    I don't want to make baby give up bf just for the sake of the odd night's work. I have been allowed to miss two evenings work in june as I just couldn't see how i could not feed baby at bedtime when it's all she's ever known and she's already adjusting to days away from home with a childminder.
    Basically Im asking am i ok to say at work i can't do evenings because of bf? I am emploeyed under Teachers pay and cond. Also, if I miss one of the two feeds a day will my milk 'dry up' . i don't want that to happen for the sake of a nights work but am feeding hardly at all now so worry it could happen.
    I feel under pressure to give up the bf before September when work will start in earnest!
    If i can avoid a breast pump I would be glad as i detest pumping having done it endlessly for the first few months of baby's life when she was ill.

2. Hello, bit confused!
    I breastfeed baby morning and night. She is almost one and have just returned to work. My job involves running training in the evenings a couple of times a month or so, it varies.
    I don't want to make baby give up bf just for the sake of the odd night's work. I have been allowed to miss two evenings work in june as I just couldn't see how i could not feed baby at bedtime when it's all she's ever known and she's already adjusting to days away from home with a childminder.
    Basically Im asking am i ok to say at work i can't do evenings because of bf? I am emploeyed under Teachers pay and cond. Also, if I miss one of the two feeds a day will my milk 'dry up' . i don't want that to happen for the sake of a nights work but am feeding hardly at all now so worry it could happen.
    I feel under pressure to give up the bf before September when work will start in earnest!
    If i can avoid a breast pump I would be glad as i detest pumping having done it endlessly for the first few months of baby's life when she was ill.

3. Hi Ladymarm - how is it going back at work?
    I can't answer about whether you can say to work that you can't do evenings as I don't know (although I think they should make allowances)....but as for the BF..
    If it was just a couple of times a month then you (your milk) would be OK. But if it became more regular then your supply would start to decrease. The advise I was given (ages ago) was that if your supply decreased for whatever reason - as long as you were still feeding - you could always increase it again by feeding more (or pumping - although you don't want to do this). The only issue is that your LO may decide herself that she doesn't want/need this last feed. I don't think that's likely though as I'm sure the bedtime feed is probably the last to go. So if you had to miss an evening feed the next night you might have slightly less milk - but by feeding LO - it should come back to normal.
    I wouldn't feel under pressure to give up feeding before September - but a lot can happen between now and then and LO may decide to self wean anyway.
    How has LO adapted to being with a childminder? You're PT aren't you? Hope all is going OK x

4. nmason

nmason New commenter

Congratulations for still feeding, so few of us reach this stage. I have recently given up or should I say my son has weaned himself at 22 months due to me being pregnant. I had only fed him morning and night since he was 15 months.You will be fine missing the odd feed, it won't effect your supply, it may if it is two nights in a row. I don't know under pay and conditions (although I think they relate to allowing you time and a place to pump), however I had to do a parents meeting recently and arranged it so it was late enough for me to do a feed before bed (although as it was he had weaned by then). Self weaning doesn't usually take place until a lot later, unless like in my case you're pregnant. I was aiming for the WHO recommendation of 2 years and was quite upset that we had to finish just short of it. I hope that was of some help.

5. Thanks ladies.
    Work is good thanks Lohman. The childminder is very good and I thoroughly recommend doing a well planned 'transition' to CM with lots of settling sessions increasing with time. i started with quick visits which i stayed at, 1 hour sessions on her own, next week 2 hour and 4 hour sessions and today 7 1/2 hours which i found hard but she was fine luckily.Hope all okwith you?
    Anyway now dont have to work evenings til october when i have several. Hope that will give us enough time to be 'ready' . I think we may have stopped by then. She'll be16 months then. I never planned to feed til 2 for example so hope she'll not be too bothered. If not I may express a bit that evening and pray poor Daddy can get her to bed without my magic boobs!

6. Hi Ladymarm,
    I go back to work after half term and have been really messing about with my supply as LO has only just begun taking milk (formula) from a bottle. Some days we have practise 'work' days, where I don't give her any BF betweeen 8 and 4.30 (when I will be at work). Some nights hubby gives her her last feed and so I might go 6pm-5am without BFing LO. For some reason I can't express so formula was our only option, and (touch wood), whenever I have gone to BF LO, there has been milk available for her. I would have thought that the occasional night's work would not cause your milk to dry up.
    There's a really helpful document which I found through the NUT website
    http://www.maternityaction.org.uk/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/breastfeeding.pdf

It clearly states our legal position as breastfeeding mothers and how employers are expected to accomodate us ("Your employer should make reasonable adjustments to your job, e.g. breastfeeding/ expressing breaks, a shorter working day, regular shifts"). Page 4 is most helpful.

Hope it helps x
    <font size="3" face="Times New Roman"><table cellpadding="7" cellspacing="0">
    <tr><td>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table></font>