1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Breastfeeding has started to hurt after nearly 9 months...

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by goonergirl2009, Jun 21, 2011.

1. goonergirl2009

goonergirl2009 New commenter

I have breastfed my daughter since birth and it suddenly hurts. It is not her biting but feels more like my nipples are being pulled off (!) and it really does hurt. I am taken her off and put her back on but the same thing happens. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Thanks in advance.
    x

2. goonergirl2009

I have breastfed my daughter since birth and it suddenly hurts. It is not her biting but feels more like my nipples are being pulled off (!) and it really does hurt. I am taken her off and put her back on but the same thing happens. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Thanks in advance.
    x

3. Thrush? Is it like a burning feeling?

4. goonergirl2009

Hi bunique,
    No, it is not a burning but it just feels as though she is no longer latching on properly. It literally feels like my nipples are being yanked off. I have gone back to basics with BF technique but it has not helped. She has some top up formula occasionally so tonight we have given her a bottle. Thanks for the quick reply!

5. Is there a breastfeeding group or cafe nearby you could get to so someone could watch your latch? Try different positons - under-arm/rugby ball hold, lying back with her on top of you (laid back breastfeeding - I think there's a website), lying over her (I think I've heard someone describe that as being 'udder' feeding which really amused me!). That might help you identify whether it's a positioning problem or something else? Perhaps it's extra-sensitivity - could be a sign that AF is about to return if it hasn't already...or (gulp) pregnancy? [​IMG]

6. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

That's weird because for the last couple of days one of mine has been really hurting (after nearly 5 months). It's felt bruised and tender, and now when she is on, it's really quite sore especially if she slips down it slightly. I had put it down to too much expressing on that side- it does make them sore- and was going to ask at the bf clinic tomorrow. Will watch this thread with interest.

7. It's not mastitis is it? I've had it a couple of times and it really hurts when she latches on. Mine was self diagnosed and I just kept feeding to sort it out so it wasn't severe. Basically it was following a couple of days where she had fed a lot because she wouldn't settle in the evening, then on the 3rd evening she went down really quickly without taking much at all. My boobs went really hard and lumpy with all the extra milk and I was then sore for a few days and felt a bit flu like.

8. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Yes, she's had nights of feeding 4-5 times followed by a night of sleeping through, or waking once. So it could be that I suppose. I don't know much about it apart from something about cabbage leaves [​IMG]
    *rushes off to look up "mastitis" in wikipedia*