1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Breastfeeding and weightwatchers

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by DilysPrice, Jan 18, 2011.

1. DilysPrice

DilysPrice New commenter

Hi all, is anyone on this diet and breastfeeding? I've just joined up and it seems a little complex. \\\\\will it affect your breastmilk supply?

2. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I thought you needed extra calories when BF? I've never done WW, but does it take into account that you're BF?
    I unfortunately had problems BF, and i do sometimes wonder if it didn't help that I immediately started living off salads as soon as my son was born!
    My 2nd is due in April and hopefully I will be able to BF. This time i plan to be careful about what I eat, but not starve myself! I will go back to exercising too like i did with my son.

3. Just a personal opinion, but i wouldn't do it. You are recommended to have more calories when BF. BF is a tiring job and i get ravenous!
    Best to eat healthily and get some exercise.

4. mangochutney

mangochutney New commenter

I'm doing weightwatchers online and breastfeeding my 4 month old. You get extra points for feeding, though I don't use mine because I wouldn't personally lose weight they are so much! I've lost 1.5 stone since October.
    Recent studies suggest milk supply is not affected by food consumption but is more linked to hydration. Its a bit of a myth that bfeeding women needs tons of extra calories, yes it can make you hungry but some HV tell women to eat mars bars everyday! I think it depends on your fat reserves. Its a bit like the 'eat an extra 200 calories when pregnant' line, which is based on a normal everyday diet of 2000, not on top of a large amount of calories which is most people's normal diet.
    I had 3.5 stone to los after the birth of my baby so plenty of fat reserves to rely on, I never had the hungry thing. I wonder if everyone does really get hungry or if its the 'stuck to the sofa' mentality of bfeeding which makes snacking too easy. Also there is a lot of evidence that a large oercentage of hunger we feel is actually thirst which would make sense when bfeeding. Women in the 3rd world manage to feed on a very low calories consumption.
    Anyway give WW a go and monitor how your baby is responding to feeds but if you eat well which you will on WW its unlikely to affect things I think.

5. DilysPrice

DilysPrice New commenter

Very sound advice! I was on the mars bar to feed the baby diet and wondered why I wasn't losing weight!!! I'm gonna give it another bash-I've 2 stone to lose so yeah plenty of fat!! Cheers

6. WW is a very sensible way to eat, lots of fruit and veg, and a focus now on "filling foods" along with a little of what you fancy. You get extra points for BFing as someone else pointed out.

7. mangochutney

mangochutney New commenter

A really useful link for these and other bfeeding questions is:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-calories-fluids.html