1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

breastfeeding and colic

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by starcommand, Jan 4, 2011.

1. I think LO has colic, she starts crying in the evening and carries on until late at night. She screams and brings her legs up, wont feed as she is screaming too much and hits out. I hate seeing her in so much distress. Sometimes rocking works, sometimes winding works and sometimes nothing works except the bouncy chair. What can cause it - I've been told dairy products, acidy food, cold weather and my milk not being good enough. We also use infacol.
    Any ideas?

I'm also worried about her feeding she is breastfed and has been fed on demand since birth. She was having no more than half an hour gaps between feeds and feeding for 5-10 mins and now its more like 1 - 1.5 hours and feeding 5-10 mins. I've been told by hv that she should have a couple of hours between feeds and to give her a dummy to stretch out the time. She doesn't like the dummy and spits it out. She has plenty of wet and dirty nappies and has been putting on weight.

Am I doing something wrong? Will she starve?

moose_fairy (LO is 6 weeks)

2. I think LO has colic, she starts crying in the evening and carries on until late at night. She screams and brings her legs up, wont feed as she is screaming too much and hits out. I hate seeing her in so much distress. Sometimes rocking works, sometimes winding works and sometimes nothing works except the bouncy chair. What can cause it - I've been told dairy products, acidy food, cold weather and my milk not being good enough. We also use infacol.
    Any ideas?

I'm also worried about her feeding she is breastfed and has been fed on demand since birth. She was having no more than half an hour gaps between feeds and feeding for 5-10 mins and now its more like 1 - 1.5 hours and feeding 5-10 mins. I've been told by hv that she should have a couple of hours between feeds and to give her a dummy to stretch out the time. She doesn't like the dummy and spits it out. She has plenty of wet and dirty nappies and has been putting on weight.

Am I doing something wrong? Will she starve?

moose_fairy (LO is 6 weeks)

3. First of all, she will not starve, if you are feeding on demand and she is putting on weight I would say she is ok. My LO took ages to get into a pattern with feeding and at 6 weeks he was still all over the place, sometimes feeding every hour or ever 3. It was very sporadic up until about 10 or 12 weeks when he started going every 3 like clockwork.
    It does sound like colic to me, fortunately my LO didn't have it but he really suffered with trapped wind. We used infacol but I'm not convinced it worked, we also tried gripe water which was good at bringing up wind but had a tendancy to make him sick as it came up with force! Colief is supposed to be good but not tried it here.
    Try the colic massage [a lady did a video and posted the link on here called colic massage - instructions on you tube]. We also tried cycling his legs and pushing them up to his stomach and warm baths. Putting them on their tummy helps but she may be a bit little. Colic usually passes by about 12 weeks. I know that isn't much comfort now but it won't last forever x

4. we had this for a while and it was awful tried infacol and gripe water but nothing helped i was at breaking point when someone suggested it could be the bubbles from the fizzy drinks i was drinking. stopped and LO was immediatly better since then we've had hardly any awful evenings. just a suggestion as i know how awful it is and you will try anything.

Lottie25

5. My son had it, too and it was truly awful. We tried everything (and I mean everything - rooibos tea in a bottle...?! that's desperate!) and finally tried a cranial osteopath. 2 sessions and he was 'cured'. Absolutely incredible, but it was expensive. Possibly a final resort?

6. I also have a friend whose son was very badly affected with colic and screamed every night. She said two sessions with the cranial osteopath made him a different baby... might be worth a try!

7. We had the same issue, cranial osteopath worked really well! Especially if baby was lying awkwardly in the womb or if you had a difficult delivery. Sometimes they need a bit of help to realign themselves. We did however end up being diagnosed with a milk protien intolerance and I needed to cut out all milk and soya! Don't suffer alone with this, there is help out there, get your doctor to refer you to a pediatric doc for some proper advice and help! Also the best colic drops we used were dentinox (We tried everything)! Good luck!

8. My LO had bad colic in the first few weeks and also did not seem to know what to do with a dummy. She did however spend a large amount of time sucking my little finger in the evenings. She's now 6 weeks old and the colic is much better now but on a dodge evening she now takes a dummy quite well.
    Good luck! Hope you're not going too insane!

9. My HV told me the same and to also avoid onions, garlic and tomatoes and other acidic foods. I've been living off bread and potatoes! Very dull but we have had some better nights. The evening I ate a vegetable Korai instead of a vegetable Korma by accident was not a fun one! She did say just to introduce the foods back in again gradually in a few weeks. Ah well, it'll be good for the diet... [​IMG]

10. I second the cranial osteopath- really helped my baby after two sessions.