1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Breastfeeding after going back to work

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by princessmelody, May 20, 2011.

1. princessmelody

princessmelody New commenter

I am hoping to cut down breastfeeding to morning and evening feeds (formula for the others) ready for going back to work in July. I am hoping this means I won't need to express during the day. Has anyone else managed this successfully?

2. princessmelody

princessmelody New commenter

I don't know if it's relevant but LO will be 26 weeks when I go back.

3. I went back when LO was six months old, and needed to express once a day for about six weeks. She is now 10.5 months old and I don't need to anymore. It did take some time for my supply to adjust to not feeding at lunchtime.

4. I went back when lo was 6 months. I had to express a little at lunchtime for the first week (after a leaking incident on the first afternoon [​IMG]). But after that I adjusted to not feeding during the day through the week, but I could still feed her at weekends. I fed her just before I left in the morning, then again as soon as I got home in the afternoon, then bedtime (and for a number of months I fed a couple of times in the night too). We're still going strong at 14 months, and she shows no signs of stopping any time soon, so we'll just have to see when it feels right to wean her.

5. I weaned GG slowly of day feeds over a period of a couple of weeks and successfully fed evening and night. I had to get other people to give her formula during the day at first but she soon got use to it. Just drop one feed at a time - giving it 3/4 days between each drop. I never had to express as I did it gradually and body adjusted really well.