1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Breastfeeding after 6 months?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Trudy, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Trudy

Trudy New commenter

Hi! Well done for breastfeeding for 6 months, yay! Firstly, please don't stop if you don't want to, even if you are feeling pressure from other people. If you and your LO are still enjoying breastfeeding there is no need to stop. I fed dd1 till she was 17 months, when she self weaned, and am still feeding dd2 who is 18 months, and still shows no sign of wanting to stop. I will carry on until she is 2 unless she wants to stop before. I don't feed her in public anymore but I did until she was about 14 months, when we cut down to just morning and night, and just put up with the odd strange stare from other people. It's good to normalise breastfeeding! Both my daughters are very healthy, and are pretty chilled out, which I put down to being breastfed. It definitely has health benefits over formula.
    You can still go out on an evening - if your LO accepts formula at the childminder's then there's no reason why a bottle should not be good enough for a rare occasion!
    Hope that helps! x

2. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I'd always planned to try and breastfeed for 6 months, but in the end I didn't stop until Cariadlet was 2. By then it was down to just an early morning feed and a bedtime feed. I only fed her in the day if she was poorly and not interested in food, or if we were on holiday and she wasn't interested in the food we were able to get abroad.
    In retrospect, I wish I'd carried on longer and waited for Cariadlet to self-wean. We were both still enjoying the breastfeeding, but there was a bit of pressure from Mr C to stop. But by that age it certainly would have been something to do at home, not in public.

3. I'm really toying with the idea with switching to formula. LO is just over 7 months. I do enjoy breastfeeding but I am getting to the point where I want a bit more freedom. LO won't take a bottle from me at all. He will have the odd one from his dad though.
    I think I will keep a morning feed as I don't want to stop completely and will miss the snuggles.
    Then again can I be bothered to faff around with sterilising? Probably not!

4. I did an early morning bf until LO was 10 and a half months, but had dropped the other feeds when she was 7 and a half months and I went back to work. It wasn't an issue feding in public as I didn't! Just first thing in the morning in my dressing gown :)
    Do it for as long as you feel comfortable with it and are enjoying it. If you want hte freedom of choosing what to wear (such a relief not to have to consider access!) then just feed him at home morning and night.

5. My lo is 13 months andwe still bf. I went back to work when she was 6 months and it's been remarkably easy to carry on. I did send bottles to the childminder, but lo refused to drink them. She just waited til I got home and had a massive feed then. We are still having disturbed nights but I know plenty of bottle fed babies who have had disturbed nights this long or longer - and at least I don't have to go and make up a bottle, I just roll over and feed her in bed (we're co-sleeping at the moment) I wouldn't change it for the world and I'm planning on letting her self wean. It's definitely the easiest way to comfort her when she's ill, teething, fallen over, etc.
    With regards to wanting more freedom, you can have it and still continue bf. I feed on demand when I'm with lo, but when I'm not around she will happily do without, she just has more solids and drinks water from a cup. She has done this since 6 months. Just do what you feel comfortable with. I personally don't feed in public any more as she's far too nosy and sits up to look around leaving my whole boob exposed. When we're out and about she gets a breadstick or something and is told that I will feed her when we get home.