1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Breast milk ice cream

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Spanakopita, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Flavoured with vanilla and on the menu as 'Baby Gaga' this is being served at a London restaurant. Would you eat it?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Flavoured with vanilla and on the menu as 'Baby Gaga' this is being served at a London restaurant. Would you eat it?

3. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

No I don't think I would. I'll just stick to mint choc chip every time!
    Why did they feel the need to make this?

4. As I said on Opinion ... the idea that women do not breastfeed because they are not sure that it tastes nice is nonsense!

I would not pay £15 for a dollop of ice cream no matter what it was made of

5. Whose breasts does it come from?

6. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12569011

This will tell you all [​IMG]

7. It's weird that people don't find the idea of eating or drinking products made from human breastmilk less odd than doing the same of the milk of another species...
    As it is, I wouldn't eat it. £14? How pretentious. Get lost.

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Hear hear!

Milk is a food for babies - not adults of another species!
    Therefore I conclude that eating breastmilk ice cream is less odd than othermilk ice cream.

Still not for adults though!

9. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Breastmilk is nice :)

10. Perhaps there is an inbuilt natural aversion to breastmilk that kicks in at a certain age or you would get hoards of rampant hoodies stalking lactating women for a fix.

11. Quite possibly. My eldest, on being told how she was fed until she was eighteen months, responded with 'yuck.' Charming!
    In my opinion, this ice cream was designed with the hope that people's responses would be negative so that certain sectors could trot out the cliches. I do find it frustrating.

12. Breastmilk is a bit personal - I am not sure I find the idea at all appealing of "eating" the breast milk provided by a stranger.
    And certainly not at that price.
    I am wondering just how many women have been lactating into a fancy pump in order for this ice cream to be made...I mean, when I was lactating, there were whole lakes of it, but I still doubt it would have fed the 5 thousand.

13. Breast milk is a food for babies.
    Cow's milk is food for calves
    Sheep's milk is food for lambs.
    It's just that we don't think twice about drinking the above three 'types' of milk and yet the idea of drinking breast milk fills many with horror.

14. It is not that it fills me with horror - it is more the fact that icecream is being made of it and sold at silly prices.
    As much as we like to think we are basically just mammels, the relationship we have with our children lasts much longer than it does with other animals - so I suppose that is why we think of breastmilk as so precious and ...individual?
    Logically, I cannot argue against the case, but I am afraid I would not eat it.

15. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Erm - some people do think twice about drinking the other sorts of milk!

16. LOL - yes, true.
    I will only drink organic milk - from my local producer. I know the calves have not been torn from their mothers.

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

You can imagine the portions can't you:
    Customer: "I'd like two scoops of breast milk ice cream please."
    Lil behind the counter: "Will that be a Kate Moss, a Marilyn Monroe, or the full Jordan?"

18. Can't say I fancy it myself, for all sorts of reasons. Someone pointed out on another thread on this subject that the milk would be better going to a Neo-Natal unit and I'd agree with that.
    I'm surprised that breast milk makes ice cream suitable for sale really. It doesn't have the same consistency/fat content etc as the milks usually used for ice cream.
    As for the price, there's no way I'd pay that!

19. when Ifirst read this I imagined lots of posh mums taking their babies to a hotel to give them a little ice cream cone with breast milk ice cream in it.

20. Well, the problem is, it is never safe to take your children somewhere posh like a hotel to eat icecream, as they invariably have the habit of biting off the bottom of the cone and then wonder why the icecream pours out of the bottom. So then they shove the top bit in their mouths to make up for time and before you know it, they have icecream coming out of their ears.