1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Breast lumps

Discussion in 'Personal' started by marymoocow, Oct 29, 2015.

1. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Apologies for putting this in Personal rather than Health and Wellbeing, but that doesn't seem to get much traffic these days as it is so far down the list. I have an appointment at the breast clinic next week after finding a small hard lump. It says I will be there between 30 mins and 5 hrs depending on what tests they do. Has anyone had experience of this? I was quite blaze about it initially as I was convinced it was nothing sinister, but as tuesday gets nearer I am beginning to panic. Also my Aunt had breast cancer a couple of years ago that was quite fast growing. So far she seems to be in remission. My lump doesn't fit any of the descriptions of different types of benign lumps, the curse of google I know! The referral has happened so quickly, a couple of days, that I haven't even told my OH. I was going to go on my own and tell him after the event, but now I don't know. His friend committed suicide the other week so isn't in the best of places at the moment.

2. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Oh Mary, where is the huggy emoticon when you need it?

I have no experience regarding breast lumps, but a couple of years ago I kept some (potentially serious) health problems to myself, and Mr Voice was most upset with me. Waiting in hospital for the tests would have been better with Mr V's support and company. Dr Google should be avoided.

I am sorry to hear about his friend, but don't go alone. xxxxxxxxxxxx

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Hi Mary
    Try not to panic - I know all too well that sick to the stomach feeling. I've had two lumps removed and they were benign.
    You will be examined and then probably sent for an ultrasound. They can usually tell from that what it is. You may also have a mammogram. I've also had a needle aspiration where they insert a large needle into the breast and suck out any fluid for testing. It's not that bad, don't worry. Stay away from google! I went to all these appointments by myself because I didn't want to be fretting about MrDt, and you could be there hours. Just remember that, even if it isn't good news, treatment is very successful and you will deal with it. Good luck.

snowyhead and midnight_angel like this.
  4. teachingking123

teachingking123 Established commenter

5. NarnianRoyalty

NarnianRoyalty Occasional commenter

Hi Marymoo,

I had a lump almost 2 years ago. As I recall, the referral was really quick, although the earliest appointment I could book in for was a couple of weeks later. With a history of breast cancer in the family, your appointment would be quicker (I assume). I worried myself quite a bit before the appointment came- hoping for the best but fearing the worst. I was fortunate- it was just a sort of cyst.

As for the first appointment, I had an ultrasound scan and a mammogram and then the consultant explained what it was. The tests themselves were fairly quick, but there was quite a bit of waiting in between. He recommended that it was removed even though it was harmless, so I had it removed under local anaesthetic a few months later and was home within an hour of the procedure ending. I went to my GP practice nurse to get the stitches out a fornight or so later.

I hope this helps a bit. I know there's no point in telling you not to worry! I can't really offer any help where your OH is concerned, but if you don't tell him, he may end up feeling worse because he wasn't there to support you.

If you think of anything else you want to ask about, go ahead.
    Best wishes
    NR.x

6. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Sorry to hear this, and about your OH's friend. Good luck, and as already said it may be something minor or very treatable.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Best of luck to you... thoughts with you.

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

What DT says.
    Hope all turns out ok. Remember the vast majority of lumps and bumps are benign.

9. marlin

marlin Star commenter

This was my experience of the tests (I did have another mammogram, aspiration and ultrasound). They were able to reassure me on that visit that they were as certain as they could be that there was no cancer, but a cyst. Obviously had to wait for the confirmation, but all was well thank goodness.

My sister was called for the same tests and she did indeed have breast cancer. She was warned, on the day, to expect this diagnosis. This was 5 years ago. She had the lump removed and so far has no signs of the cancer returning - touch wood.

So if I were you, I would take OH with you on the day so that he can share your relief or support you if concerns are raised. I don't think this is something you should keep to yourself - but that's just my opinion - you have to do what is best for you.

All the best - I hope the news is good.

10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Can't help practically. But best wishes. And tell your OH!!!!

11. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Hope all goes well.

I'd probably tell OH and after my expereince in the car park of our local hospital on Tuesday I'd take him with me.
    I had been recalled as my mammograms taken in the mobile unit were unclear. As I only got 3 days notice of the appointment I was thinking the worst - but insisted I'd drive myself as I'd taken my mum to the clinic about a year previously and knew how much hanging around there could be.

When I got to the hospital 25 mins before my appointment all the car parks were full and there were queues everywhere and I just completely paniced that I'd miss my appointment and they wouldn't see and ended up in tears in my car!

Did eventually calm down and managed to phone clinic and let them know and of course they were very understanding and I did get seen and I did get the all clear but next time I go for anything OH will be with me so at least he can stay in the queue and I can get out!

Once again hope all goes well.

kibosh likes this.
  12. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I had a large, hard, lump 7 years ago. Got sent to the clinic, had a mammogram and then two deep core biopsies. I'm not going to dress it up and say that those were pleasant but it was quick. My results came back in the dodgy category but were retested several times. It wasn't cancer but would have gone that way. I had a partial mastectomy and was well rid of it. Obviously I'm still here! Have regular and frequent mammograms but, touch wood, no further problems.
    Can't praise the quality of care I had enough.
    Fingers crossed for you Mary.

snowyhead likes this.
  13. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

In Leeds there's a dedicated centre where you get the whole range of diagnostics in one place on the day, and see a doctor if further action is necessary. If they can tell from the mammogram what it most likely is, they won't bother with the ultrasound. If it turns out to be a cyst they may offer to drain it, or you have a think and come back. That's why they can't say how long the appointment will be. Take a newspaper and a book. There's a lot of sitting around between checks.
    Good luck. I've had loads of lumps of various kinds, and you never really take it all your stride! And stay off Google!

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I went with the Queen of Lydia. All was fine but I think that you need the support either way.

kibosh likes this.
  15. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I had this too. I went alone to the Countess of Chester hospital and had the mammogram test and then they wished to aspirate. I won't pretend the wait for results was anything other than nerve wracking. It didn't help that the consultant was called away to survey and the whole clinic ground to a halt. They did inform us but was there for before 9am and didn't get my results till near 5pm. I was about the last to be called and thought that as there were 2 drs.... the "main " one in the first room and more junior in the far room... I reckoned it was better to be in the 2nd room. When I was called to the main room my heart was pretty low...but... the main woman dr hardly looking up said all was one and I could buzz off. I skipped out I can tell you! I did feel they could have let a nurse tell me that 4 hours earlier... but what the heck. I did have to have regular mammograms over the next 5 years.
    So..... I would say have someone go with you, be prepared for a long wait and I hope your outcome is as good as mine was.....

16. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I don't have any experience to add but wanted to wish you all the best @marymoocow.

17. marymoocow

Thank you everyone. I work at the hospital so have a staff parking permit, though spaces at that time of day are still as rare as hens teeth. My cancer unit is linked to yours Xena and offers the same service, I should find out an all clear or at least that cancer is suspected the same day. My OH and I are going away for 2 nights the next day to the Dales, so I am going to ask him to take the afternoon or day off on Tuesday as well. Trouble is I am working nights for the next 2 shifts so I am unlikely to see him until Saturday afternoon.

18. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

The small, hard, quite deep lump that my GP found (I'd gone for a swear test and she decided to do the boobs as a sort of 'buy one, get one free' thing) is still there, the same size as when it was first discovered. I had all the tests you can think of and the consultant declared it 'hardened tissue'.

That was 1993...

19. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

A swear test? That sounds more like a TES innovation. Do you mean smear?

20. marymoocow

Mine isn't that deep and feels like a pea or piece of grit. I really wanted my GP to confirm it was there so that I knew I wasn't imagining it and that it would be easy to find to test. I was quite shocked how much my heart sank when she agreed she could feel it. Think I would fail a swear test!

lindenlea, kibosh and bombaysapphire like this.