1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Breast feeding

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Purplepasta326, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Purplepasta326

Purplepasta326 New commenter

When i return to work I will still be breast feeding. What will my rights be? I aware they will need to carry out a risk assessment- what will be included?

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The risk assessment for breast feeding rarely actually takes place… which is something I challenged when I was in your position after my first child. Do make sure you read up on legislation - http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/breastfeeding-back-to-work.aspx#close - print it out and provide your school with it - It's astonishing how many lack knowledge in this area. You need to formally inform your school in writing that you will be breast feeding when you return to work - In that letter I would politely inform them, as a nudge, to let you know when the risk assessment can take place. The risk assessment is your chance to raise formally how you plan to manage it and what assistance or support you need in order to carry on. I specifically asked for a suitable room in which to express twice in the day and was initially referred, as is appallingly common, to the toilet. In the end a blind was fitted in my office so I could discreetly express in there - I used break time and lunchtime, but did have to store the milk in the staffroom fridge, which I didn't think was ideal as in a large school obviously I didn't like the idea of anyone tampering with it… so I bought my own mini fridge and put it in my office. It did cause a minor eyeballing moment when, after being back at work for a week an 'open evening' was landed upon me - An event that is not one required of teachers unless they volunteer by all accounts - I informed by head that as I had a breastfeeding 12 week old I wouldn't be 'volunteering' this year and well, they were less than happy so my union curtly stepped in and and wrote to inform them of the legal stance regarding both 'open evenings' and breast feeding.

So my advice is to ask for 1. A space suitable for you to express. 2. A facility to store expressed milk safely. 3. Some leeway regarding any evening events that you do not need contractually to be in attendance for.