1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Breast-feeding and overheating at night

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by emmy_ru, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Am I normal?? I am breastfeeding my 11-day-old and spend the whole night drenched in sweat! It's been really cold in our room, but I have to get up and flannel myself down - ugh! Is there anything I can do and does anyone know how long this may last? I don't really need any other factors keeping me from sleeping at the moment [​IMG]

2. I had this after my 2nd and wasn't expecting it as it didn't happen 1st time around. Don't think it is to do with BF but something to do with your body getting rid of the extra fluid after giving birth. It lasted a few weeks and some nights I would be drenched. It was disgusting and what with that, leaking milk and lochia I was convinced I stunk (which I probably did!) and was showering twice a day! Hopefully won't last too much longer for you.

3. I had terrible night sweats after having my baby. They lasted about 6-8 weeks I think. Make sure you drink plenty of water to replace it all. I don't think it is to do with overheating it's more homones. To be honest I still get them sometimes and my LO is 20 weeks old.

4. I did sweat like a beast (yes, not exactly yummy mummy) at first- was always hot and sticky- didn';t help it was August... and stopped the heat at a similar time to Ange... It is normal, hormones are freaky things, and won't go on forever... Is rather unpleasant. I am still warmer than normal but not as sweaty! I would need a shower twice a day, minimum!

5. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I sweated loads after having my son, it was horrible! I fell asleep on our leather sofa a few times and woke up stuck to it! It was mid June and really warm too.

6. Thanks ladies. It sounds as if I should be grateful that it's winter and that this only happens at night! Lots of changes of bedclothes in store then but with feeding LO in bed that was always going to be the case.