1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Breast feeding and back to work?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by truelove, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Does anyone have any advice on how I can combine breastfeeding with full time teaching? I will be going back to work when my LO is only 4 months old and I hope to keep breastfeeding but how will this work? I know I can express and leave her milk but at the min she will not take a bottle ( of breast milk or formula milk) and she won't be old enough to wean yet. Has anyone else gone back to work so soon and kept up breastfeeding?

2. Does anyone have any advice on how I can combine breastfeeding with full time teaching? I will be going back to work when my LO is only 4 months old and I hope to keep breastfeeding but how will this work? I know I can express and leave her milk but at the min she will not take a bottle ( of breast milk or formula milk) and she won't be old enough to wean yet. Has anyone else gone back to work so soon and kept up breastfeeding?

3. princessmelody

princessmelody New commenter

I'm going back when LO is exactly 6 months so a little later than you. This is the start of the 3rd week I've dropped day feeds. He now feeds from me at 6ish and 9:30 ish and then has 2 formula feeds before me again at 6:30ish. He then sleeps all night which is a huge help. My boobs took ages to get used to him sleeping through but have taken really well to dropping the day ones. He's not having solids yet (had tried a little but lost confidence after a couple of chomps on a banana and a few baby carrots) How do you feel about formula? I chose to do this in the daytime as I couldn't think of anything worse than expressing at work. When looking into it I've found out it's only good practice (not law) for them to give you a time and place to do it and I can't think of anywhere in the building anyway. The first formula feed I gave him was 4oz straight after his long nap in the day. I only did 4oz as I wasn't sure if he'd take it. Well he did the lot without coming up for breath!!! So try your LO at that time maybe (really hungry but not too stressed about it). Maybe make sure it's nice and warm too. Have you told your work you will be breastfeeding? What provisions can they make for you? Good luck PM LO 23 weeks (and over 20lb)

4. You will find a way that works for you - my son is 18mths, still breastfeeding and I teach.
    I went back to work when he was 3mths old and was exclusively BF at that point. I pumped as much as I could and left formula. The first day I left my partner had to call me home because the baby was inconsolible. I fed him and returned to work. After that he took the bottle, I wouldn't have done it this way if I could have helped it, but I had to go back to work. We got into a routine of big feed in bed at 6ish, then I pumped at work, he had EBM or FF depending on what was left, then when I got home at 4/5 he'd have another big feed and feed regularly at night. Then at weekends I BF him ALL the time. Now he will happily have milk or water as well as BF whether I'm here or not.

5. I went back to work when lo was just under 6 months. She was only just starting BLW so not eating much in the way of solids. I fed her twice before work (as we got up and then just before I left), and left her 2 bottles of ebm (I had expressed twice a day for about 6 weeks before going back) which she refused to drink for the childminder [​IMG]
    Once she started eating more solids she cut back on the night feeds. I night-weaned at 13 months, but she still wakes most nights (especially when ill or teething) at 15 months.
    Hope you figure something out that works for you. A lot of babies will take bottles from someone else where they won't from mum. And I found my lo would drink more of it (ie 1oz instead of nothing) if the milk was warmer than I thought it should be. Think boob temperature rather than wrist temperature.

6. This was also true for us- she refused ebm if it wasn't really warm.
    I know of people who get into the routine of feeding all weekend/days off and the baby just feeding from the mother when the mother is available. If you want baby to have EBM you'll need to start building up a supply nowe i would think, and then express at work. Otherwise maybe supplement with formula.
    I can hand on heart say that I found it horrible expressing at work but I know lots of people who have been fine (had a good room to do it in, felt relaxed about it etc- I was nervous and edgy and stuck in a toilet (!)- not conducive for milk production!)

7. I too went back to work FT when LO was only 4 months old and have managed to keep fully breast feeding.
    In the three weeks before I went back to work I built up a stock of milk in the freezer.
    Depending on what time she'd last fed at in the night I would wake her at 6am to feed from one side and then express from the other while having breakfast. I then expressed around 11am at work. Then (again depending on when her next feed was due) I expressed when I got home around 4/430 ish. I quickly managed to build up a stock in the fridge.
    Once we'd started weaning her I stopped expressing when I got home and her 6am feed. Then when she was 10months I stopped expressing at breakfast.
    I've had a variety of rooms to use at work. I started in the medical room which wasn't really appropriate as it was in use and I nearly got walked in on a couple of times. I've then used a couple of store rooms with the one I'm in now being the most private. I do got odd, inquisitive, looks from people I leave the uniform store room and remove my sign from the door which says 'do not enter, meeting in progress'. I have always been open and honest as to what I'm doing.
    Our LO is also very particular about the temperature of her milk.
    When I first went back to work I did feel like I was always either expressing or feeding but I wouldn't have it anyother way.