1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

breast clinic referral - how long?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by chocolate_cupcake, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I have been referred to a breast clinic following months of breast pain, an underarm lump and ache and a strong family history of breast cancer. Despite this, the odds are very much in my favour - I'm 25 and otherwise fit and healthy so hopefully things will be fine. My GP doesn't seem too worried which is good.
    The appointment is at 9am and we have a new system at school where we have to fill out a form for days off (the school, however, is VERY supportive and there is no way they would refuse me time off for a medical appointment!). However, I'm not sure whether to 'apply' for just half a day off or a whole day? My mum is just recovering from breast cancer and she was at the clinic for at least 4 hours, but she did have to have extensive tests.
    For those of you that have been to a breast clinic appointment, how long were you there for?
    Thanks x

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I can't answer your question, but I always ask for the maximum time I'll need, and say I hope to be back sooner.
    They'd rather over cover you than be left in the lurch!

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Some places have what they call a "one stop" breast clinic, where they'll do all of the tests there and then to get the maximum amount of information in the shortest possible time - which might mean you would be there a while.
    Personally, I would go for the whole day. When I had to go for tests (for something totally different), I was so shaken up by the whole thing that I could not have possibly gone back to work. In your case, you may be able and willing to go back - better to have booked a day and not need it all than to book half a day and be worried about the time.
    I hope things go well for you x

4. there is no way they would refuse me time off for a medical appointment!
    Not unless they wished to breaking the law, there isn't. They aren't doing you any favours. It's your right.
    As a previous poster said, different hospitals arrange things differently. You could be seen by a consultant and referred for more tests - in an out in an hour. Or you could be sent down the corridor to wait for the tests there - half day. The last lump I went in with they took out while I was there (I had the option of declining since it was sprung on me) - whole day.
    Go for the whole day.
    It might be worth taking a taxi or getting a lift. I'd forgotten I had the car in the pay machine hospital car park when I agreed to the op. It cost me £14 for the ticket!

5. Thanks everyone. I think I'll take the whole day. Thinking about the whole thing makes me feel sick. I honestly feel like I'm going to throw up sometimes, even though I know that the likelihood of there being a bad outcome is really small!
    Lily - fab advice about taking public transport there, have heard hospital car parks are a rip off!

6. casper

casper New commenter

HI, take the day off. As Lily says take public transport. I didn't I drove there and couldn't park anywhere. had to park on a limited waiting as I was already late adn very stressed. I was there quite a while. there is nothing worse than trying to do these things to a set deadline. i did teh other day as i had OH referal a long way away. I only took trhee lessons off and had a job getting to school to take my afternoon registration
    Take care, I hope everything goes well.

7. Thanks Casper, am definitely going to take public transport now. I don't want to feel even more stressed. Is it normal to feel this nervous even though I know things are most likely going to be fine given my age etc? I almost feel like I'm over reacting!!