1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Breaking: You must be a woman to compete in Miss Universe

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Mar 10, 2018.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Or maybe you've come up against another stereotype?

Gay heavy metal fans are perfectly possible...

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

I'm presuming their comment is based on your initial post #33 which was later related to if you meant beauty pageants but you didn't clearly answer that you didn't.

TCSC47 likes this.
  3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

They are, but I was referring to a specific case of someone I knew who wasn't gay.

As to the people who tried to chat him up, they thought he was female. It did provide us with some amusement when he then spoke and watched their shocked faces and suddenly felt a need to apologise but not know what to say.

lanokia likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I took post #33 to be a reference to Vince's previous posts to do with 'female-only spaces' on other threads...

Stiltskin likes this.
  5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

The observer or the observed?

They would say.

6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

I don't think I've read that thread so couldn't make that connection.

7. Vince_Ulam

What?

8. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

*I thought that was clearer than some of your posts ;)*

9. Vince_Ulam

In the rest of the animal kingdom there is only one reason for presenting as the opposite sex:

10. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Are we moving on to species dysphoria now? I'm guessing they wouldn't need to use either men or women's toilets.

11. Vince_Ulam

Of course you did.

12. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Umm, obviously else I wouldn't have said it.

13. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

Not really arguing anything; until belledujour posed the question, I hadn’t thought of any similar behaviour in non human animals. However, if being perceived as a different gender confers some advantage to some animals, then can’t see any reason for it being similt in humans.

14. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Can you explain what you meant then, because that is how it comes across.

15. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Are you referring to the theme of this thread or not? My contention is that it is a crass thing to say, and a rather flippant debating point, that you should either clarify or rescind. The high profile beauty pageants are most certainly not "female only" spaces but probably represent the complete opposite, -- female oppressing spaces.

16. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Am I correct in thinking that homosexuality and transgender is more common amongst biological males than females?
    If so, could this be something to do with exposure to female hormones in the womb?
    Just asking......not judging.

17. Vince_Ulam

Then you have not read the thread title.

18. Vince_Ulam

No. Nobody is forced to enter these competitions.

19. Vince_Ulam

In 2012 the Office of National Statistics found that twice as many British men described themselves as gay compared with women who described themselves as gay or lesbian. This aligns with the view that due physiology men orient their identity according to their sexual preference more than do women, hence the gag that women need a reason to have sex while men just need a place.

In 2009 natal female referrals to the Tavistock & Portman Gender Identity Development Service stood at 70% of natal male referrals. In 2017 referrals for natal males had increased to 1100% what they were in 2009, while referrals for natal females increased to 3500%. Both increases and their disparity probably have social causes rather than chemical.

20. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Sorry Vince. That is a silly answer. Title -- "Breaking: You must be a woman to compete in Miss Universe" --- and then you go on to talk about "women free spaces" with the inference that beauty pageants only involve women. What I am responding to is your miss-use of the term "female only space" as a rather trivialising concept in the connection with these pageants. merely in your effort to push along your argument in a debating style.

Female free spaces are meant to provide a safe place for females, away from males and all the baggage we bring to the table, so that they can develop safely into the people they deserve to be. And if we want to observe some of the baggage that men carry around with regards to women, we just need to look at beauty pageants.