1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Breaking: You must be a woman to compete in Miss Universe

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Cor, for someone who don't care you don't half go on ;)

Moony likes this.
  2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

What is the standard idea of what a woman "should/does look like"?

Genius-level reasoning there, and these are the sort of people who would be encouraged by the removal of social conventions around female-only spaces so it's best these are not eroded.

I love your little stories about what happened to you last night or the night before. I never believe a word of them, of course. Are they supposed to be somehow convincing of something or other?

3. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

You tell me. You're the one maintaining that you can always tell.

Who is removing social conventions around female-only spaces?

We need a shrug emoji.

Moony likes this.
  4. Vince_Ulam

I've explained before now the ways in which it is possible to distinguish men from women. If you believe there is a standard model for women then you should be able to describe it.

Anyone who argues that men who identify as women should be automatically permitted access to these is attempting this.

5. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Yes, we're the ones (collectively) that get to decide how they are policed, if at all, not the likes of you so but out.

Each and everytime?

No, no you are not....because if you were you would respect the rights of women that are transwomen.

6. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Yeah, but you don't get to define what women accept as women.

7. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Even the atoms of stable nuclei were formed due to atomic fusion in a star, which effectively makes them all nuclear waste. When a radiogenic isotope decays to a stable isotope the daughter atom is still a product of nuclear decay even if it isn't radioactive itself.

8. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

This, so much this!

9. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Come on Vince. Are you going to retract your statement that beauty pageants are women only spaces?? They are populated, organised, and watched by the dirty mac wearing brigade -- and don't tell me they are female.

Nanook_rubs_it and Moony like this.
  10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Do other animals have gender issues too?
    Does my pet dog want to be gender neutral (irrespective of having had his nuts cut off)?
    Do elephants want to undergo gender re-assignment?
    If not then why is this a peculiarly human trait?
    And if it is, does that mean there is a 'learned' aspect of it?
    So many questions to which there are no answers..............

Laphroig and Oscillatingass like this.
  11. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Vince -----?

12. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

Interesting question; a quick google brought up this:

We tend to think of gender expression, and especially gender non-conformity, as uniquely human. However, many other species gain distinct advantages by projecting an appearance that doesn’t “match” their biological sex. Snakes, lizards, beetles, fish, and birds, to name a few, all exhibit “transgender” behaviors in which males imitate females to gain advantages, including reduced competition, better access to territory, and improved mating opportunities.

The reasons may be conjecture, but trans-gender behaviour may not be just a human preserve.

EDIT: More detail on animals that exhibit trans gender behaviours: https://blog.nationalgeographic.org/2013/09/22/7-gender-altering-animals/

13. BelleDuJour

Some interesting articles here....but personally I doubt animals have the cognitive ability to determine gender, beyond what instinct has programmed into them.

14. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I'm entering for it. :)

15. BelleDuJour

Filth!

Oscillatingass likes this.
  16. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Not the bikini bit, though...

BelleDuJour likes this.
  17. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

My experiences tell me that when one or the other doesn't conform to stereotypes they often struggle,

*recalling a time a heavy metal loving friend decided to grow a goatee to stop men trying to chat him up thinking he was female*

18. Vince_Ulam

I have not stated this.

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well there goes my reason for going...

Dunteachin likes this.
  20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So are you arguing that transgender in humans is really about acquiring perceived advantages from being another gender?