1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Breaking: You must be a woman to compete in Miss Universe

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Actually it looks like research has shown that the whole genetics behind this stuff is far more complicated than previously thought, which makes the sort of stance you have stated here the best one to have.

Nanook_rubs_it likes this.
  2. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

If the only female-only spaces being defended are beauty contests it is hard to see the connection with International Women's Day, which seeks to empower women, not reduce them to being judged on how well they can meet a "breed standard".

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

You can mean whatever you wish but do not try to tell me what I mean. I mean spaces for women and girls only.

Most people can tell the difference between a man and a woman regardless of frock & lippy.

Not "anti-trans" but pro-women.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  4. Vince_Ulam

No, I did not. When I placed post #33 you hadn't added to post #31 the section to which I replied in post #36.

5. Vince_Ulam

No, @Nanook_rubs_it is correct. People are people.

Meanwhile, men are not women.

6. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

What? You replied saying it depends. That was an answer. Sorry bud.

7. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

So I said we mean spaces for women, and you're telling me not to presume what you meant because you mean spaces for women.
    Ok.
    You could start an argument in an empty room sometimes Vince.

Moony likes this.
  8. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

But only when that's convenient for the agenda they're trying to push.

CraigCarterSmith and Moony like this.
  9. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Lol. Ok. We've talked before about how no matter how much you assert that you always know what chromosomes someone has just by looking at them, it sets a dangerous precedent if we're going to start questioning people's right to be in a space simply because they don't look 'female' or 'male' enough. What's gonna happen? We gonna start having genital checks on the door for people who look a bit ambiguous?

Moony likes this.
  10. Vince_Ulam

Not to your edit, bud.

11. Vince_Ulam

In contrast to the empty heads with whom I often engage.

12. Vince_Ulam

I'm always pro-women. They're fab. Mostly.

13. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Does anyone actually give an airborne act of procreation?
    I don't.

Laphroig, Moony and TCSC47 like this.
  14. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

The first 80 elements in the periodic table have stable nuclei. Thus the waste we will all end up as will be one of these non-radioactive atoms. Unless of course they all coalesce into some sort of mass that provides itself with energy in some way to cause the atomic nuclei into fission or fusion. But we really don't understand enough about matter and the universe to know what will happen in this way.

15. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

My edit was just a clarification of what I meant in my original question, not a different question, which is something I made clear in the edit when I wrote edited for clarity.

If you think that addition somehow changes the original question and your answer is no longer 'it depends' but rather 'not telling you', then I can live with that.

16. Vince_Ulam

Barring a few anomalies, it is possible to tell who has what chromosomes by looking at them. Children can do this.

No, it does not but if it upsets a few men who want to access female-only spaces then I don't care.

Most people follow social conventions without being policed. It's the reason for such things as separate Ladies & Gents toilets, for example. Children can do this.

17. Vince_Ulam

Nor I about this.

18. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Well I don't know what you mean. I am still wondering if by referring to "women only spaces" that you are saying that beauty pageants are such spaces.

9 out of 10 marks for pushing along a topic that can usefully be debated here, but 2 out of 10 for avoiding arguing [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Moony likes this.
  19. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I'm more worried about it offending the women who don't conform to the standard idea of what a woman should/does look like, who are going to be challenged about their gender and asked to prove that they're women somehow in order to use the changing rooms.

Most people do. Which means that some don't. So this whole panic about whether men will suddenly be able infiltrate women only spaces if they're allowed to self-identify as a woman is irrelevant because there's literally only a sign on a door, and a social convention, that is stopping them from doing so anyway.
    A guy walked into the wrong toilet at the pub last night. I was in a cubicle and he was having a row with the woman waiting that she was in the wrong toilet. Till I walked out and he was like "oh sh......" and we all had a giggle and then I directed him to the toilet he wanted to use.

Nanook_rubs_it and Moony like this.
  20. Vince_Ulam

It did not clarify but said two further different things, this is why I recommended that you decide what you mean.

No, it still depends upon who is judging and why. The thread is about the allowed sex of entrants to women's beauty competitions, it has nothing to do with babies or conversational partners.