1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Breaking: You must be a woman to compete in Miss Universe

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

[​IMG]

Uproar Over Medical Requirements To Take Part In Miss Universe Iceland

'The Chairman of Trans Iceland Alda Villiljós has condemned the requirement list published by Miss Universe Iceland which requires applicants to be “medically certified women.” In an interview with Visir, Alda called it a perfect example of obsolete attitudes towards trans people.

[...]

Alda Villiljós has criticised the requirement for being obsolete: in particular, she states, the idea that all men need to have a penis and all women need to have a vagina is completely outdated, and the younger generations know this very well.

[...]

To be able to participate in the beauty competition, however, “you need to be a woman. It’s a basic condition,” organiser Manuela Ósk explains. “You may have been born male, but to participate you must have gone through the process of gender reassignment.”'
    Grapevine.is, 9th <arch 2018.

Good thing I didn't cut the labels off the frock & cossie.

needabreak and elder_cat like this.
  2. jynerson

jynerson New commenter

So your title means you agree that people born male but who have undergone gender reassignment are women?

Glad to have you on board.

3. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I must say I am outraged by this. As a heterosexual married bloke I demand the right to to be a contestant in the Miss Universe Competition. I feel I am being discriminated against and will start a Facebook Campaign.

4. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

If you post a photo of yourself in your bikini we could take a vote as to whether or not you are contestant material. It's all to do with looks, of course, but oif you volunteer with lame donkeys or sick people then you might get some extra points.

JL48 likes this.
  5. Oscillatingass

OMG I did not realize some of the selection team were actually posting on this site. I'll PM a pic of me in my mankini to you.

Bedlam3 and NotAPowerRanger like this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Damn.....I was hoping to compete.

Maybe next year.

7. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

There seem to be quite a few threads about trans issues here. For me, this is less about trans rights and more about the nature of beauty contests. I'd solve the problem of who can enter by banning the whole thing.
    :D

JL48 likes this.
  8. Vince_Ulam

I must say, I like a nice ciré ass.

Bedlam3 likes this.
  9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Strange that an event entitled 'Universe' is so non-inclusive.

We're all part of the Universe. We'll be hearing protests from asteroids, comets, gas clouds and (of course) black holes before long.

Moony, Nanook_rubs_it and needabreak like this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

If it's "Miss Universe" do they exclude married female-identifying human units?

11. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Who wants to compete in "Miss anything" anyway? So here's one woman who's not concerned about it.

needabreak likes this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

personally I think all beauty pageants are a big Miss Take

13. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

We are all beautiful things, male, female or trans. We are all nature's miracles...the collection of atoms that makes you up could have been assembled in any rock, tree, gas cloud, star or being anywhere in the Universe.

JosieWhitehead likes this.
  14. Vince_Ulam

15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Going back many years now the Sharjah Wanderers Golf Club ran an annual Ladies' Day tournament. Men dressed in drag could play off the ladies' tees.

Best photo I have of myself!

yozza_09 and JL48 like this.
  16. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Me too,

Would I need to shave though? o_O

17. Vince_Ulam

Only if they mention it and offend the non-married.

18. Oscillatingass

Are you talking about your chin?

19. Vince_Ulam

It's called report.

20. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

Strange how a ‘competition’ that judges its contestants on superficial criteria doesn’t take its contestants at face value; if they appear to have the physical attributes required and nobody can tell the difference without a medical examination, why care?

Orkrider2 likes this.