1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Breaking point!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by catherine_ann, Nov 25, 2015.

1. catherine_ann

catherine_ann Occasional commenter

I started a new post as second in department in September and have been acting up for a number of weeks on no extra time / support / money. I also have a tutor group with several needy students who take up a great deal of my time. As a hod I would not have a tutor group, have additional PPA time ect. I am now at breaking point. I am struggling to get a few hours sleep at a time, struggling to get to work of a morning and I feel that if anything slips either in school or at home that I may break under the strain. The dynamics in the department are awkward to say the least with one colleague being great but I am made to feel an outsider by several. Just not sure how much longer I can hold myself together.

2. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

You need to speak to the HT. I assume s/he would prefer to have a fully functioning teacher working at the school rather than one absent on sick leave.

I wonder if you have been overlooked by management. The job is being done, so it doesn't occur to them that someone is struggling with the workload. Some SMT don't give a damn, but others do.

Could you obtain a copy of the timetable worked by the person whose job you now do? Compare it with the heavier timetable you are enduring, highlighting areas where PPA time used to occur, but no longer. Black and white printed evidence is usually effective. After all, if you have to take time off to recuperate, your employers will also have to pay for a supply teacher. (They don't like having to do that).

I appreciate that things are difficult as a newbie, but I think you'll have to fight your corner. Take care of you.

Debs_Frazer and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Don't let yourself reach breaking point. You are doing too much.

I have been in a similar position myself before, and will soon be heading into it again due to my boss going off to have an operation. At the moment ALL that you can do is basically man the fort. You have not got the time to do anything else. Make that abundantly clear to your boss and, frankly, to yourself. Tell them if that is all they want, then fine. It is your job after all. If they want other aspects of the job done though they will have to find you time from somewhere. Also have a frank discussion with the department, make it clear that they will have to take some strain as well. I do not understand why department teachers would not go above their position at times like this to help their colleagues.

As for the tutor group, you have to get support on issues now. Go to the HoY or assistant HoY and explain that they are going to have to pick up the issues due to your current departmental responsibilities. That is what they are there for.

Debs_Frazer likes this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

5. Katierobertson

Katierobertson New commenter

On delegation, there can be teachers in departments who want to take on leadership and grow. In discussions with your HOD it may be possible to delegate some of these tasks to them, and they can build their own CV.