1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

breaking point

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by GreyFalcon, Feb 4, 2011.

1. I have been working at a school and really have come to a breaking point today where i uttered the words i was not coming back to other staff. Although strange the words may be i feel at breaking point anf under pressure. Prior to this a conversation also became very negative.
    I am definitely stressed and saying all th wrong things.
    Can anyone help
    Grey

2. I have been working at a school and really have come to a breaking point today where i uttered the words i was not coming back to other staff. Although strange the words may be i feel at breaking point anf under pressure. Prior to this a conversation also became very negative.
    I am definitely stressed and saying all th wrong things.
    Can anyone help
    Grey

3. Please go and see your GP a.s.a.p. and register the fact you are at this stage and ask for advice, describe symptoms and talk stress and/or depression. You need to protect yourself if things get worse. You don't mention how long you've been in the job, but if you need to stay in it, things might get worse before they get better. As you realise, you're 'saying all the wrong things'. If you're posting like this on a Friday night, you do need help. If you trust your line manager, start talking to them about this. They've probably realised if they're any use at all. Keep posting. We're here to support.

4. I would echo the previous poster. See your GP. you will get some time off to deal with your feelings. Also if you belong to one, contact your union - they have heard this many many times before and will not judge. They will advise you on your options depending on your situation. Again, as previous poster says, there is much support here.
    X

5. You must speak to your union rep. they will have seen it all before and have loads of experience in supporting you in this kind of thing. Also it is probably not as uncommon as you think to feel like that sometimes.

6. Just to say - don't do anything hasty. As others have said see your GP first and get yourself some breathing space. What seems insurmountable now may start to seem less daunting. If you decide to resign, and maybe that will mean you leave under a cloud, be assured there is life after resignation! But try to make it as painless for yourself as possible and put yourself first - noone else will (except family and old, wise friends - use them).

7. pibydd

pibydd New commenter

Deffinitely:- GP first thing on Monday (or as soon as you can get appt) even if you think you feel better. Self certificate until you can get the appointment. You need to talk to someone impartial and see what happens to your feelings then. Union - ask if they have a welfare officer and go through where you are at with them. Bullying is a strange thing, we don't always realise when we are victims.
    Lastly, my authority has a welfare officer who can be contacted totally anon'. You just need to phone personel and get the number if it's not on the web site. you don't have to give your name to anyone. It might be worth checking if your authority have something similar.
    I have guessed that you don't feel there is anyone who can help in school but I'd still get sick leave sorted out first.
    I'm a bit concerned you haven't been back here. I think this is one case where noone would mind a "personal post".

8. Thanks for all your replies and support.
    I keep telling myself that i can just go back smile and get on with things.
    but on the flip side is this feeling of pressure just going to get worse, maybe it was just a bad day at the office.
    For some reason i am trying to convince myself that i can continue without addressing my health.

9. You can't.
    You might think you feel ok but if this <u>has</u> been going on for a while then it <u>will</u> continue to and it will simply build up under the surface, and the more damage you do to yourself now, the longer it will take you to recover.
    It wont go away unless YOU do something about it.
    Look after yourself x

10. I can only advise from my experience, and cannot pretend to know anything about yours.
    In my experience, I did not fully recognise when I was under what turned out to be intolerable stress. I was tired, and there were crises, but I came back from each crisis feeling reasonably OK and doing my best to brush it under the carpet and carry on. However eventually everything seemed to be a crisis, and I was reacting with feelings of terror and inadequacy (with horrible sinking feelings in my stomach) to events which just did not need that reaction.
    It's only in retrospect that I can see that my reactions were totally out of proportion to the events.
    I have learnt that if I get that feeling in the pit of my stomach I need to step back and take cool stock of what is going on and what are reasonable feelings about it.
    I'm telling you this in case you are in a similar situation, overreacting to events so that you are always on the edge of your seat (metaphorically!). If so I think you should seriously consider taking time out.

11. Can I just add that although I was overreacting to events there was collusion in this in the form of bullying and blaming on the part of members of SMT. This may be an element in your case too, and the union can help with this. It is better to contact them sooner rather than later.

12. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

Having read a number of your posts Grey, I have to wonder if you are in the right environment. My understanding is you are an NQT working as a CS and you are struggling with behaviour management.
    You have been in post for a couple of months and you need to take some time off. It may be wise for you to consider giving up the CS work and look for alternatives, maybe even TA roles. Unfortunately if you continue to be so stressed, rather than gain experience of being in schools, you will lose confidence in your abilities to teach your subject/s.
    Go to the doctor and get signed off, take stock and make some decisions about your future. Unfortunately your 'rights' when having been in post for a matter of weeks are few and you may find yourself being forced out of your post.