1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Breaking notice period.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by yapyap, Jun 23, 2011.

1. We're being taken over. I don't want to be here any longer. How awful would the consequences of breaking the notice period?

2. I think you can attempt to negotiate your way out of your contract. But, if they are feeling grumpy or cannot replace you, they can refuse your resignation and make you work your notice.
    Ask and see what they say.

cyolba, noticing his work rather than working his notice :)

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I think you'd kiss goodbye to a decent reference; indeed, if you break contract the head's likely to exercise his/her right not to give you a reference.

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

and the danger (albeit remote) of you being taken to court

5. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I am in a similar situation and if a better job came up, I wouldn't hesitate in handing in my notice, even in July. When you are being taken over, then they really should take that into account.
    Technically they can sue you for breach of contract and they could approach your new school and express their disapproval - these are extremely unlikely. Your LEA is likely to be understanding too if you are being taken over against your wishes, then they should appreciate that you will be trying to get out.
    Good luck!

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I don't think the OP has a new job lined up, so finding a 'new school' is going to be very difficult indeed without a supportive reference from the current head.

7. I suspect, rather sadly, that you are probably right Middlemarch, althouhI do appreciate the supportive comment Giraffe!
    Just at the moment I am toying with the idea of leaving teaching altogether to be honest. I truly love helping young people develop their skills, but yapland is such a nasty environment that it doesn't seem very much about that any more, and I have no confidence left at all. It's all I can do to get myself out of bed in the morning. a fascinating conversation with my best friend last night revealed that I have 'changed' , and this can be pinpointed to about three months after I started here. It might be time to get out of all of it before I go completely mad.
    I am just regretting not having handed in my notice in May and just taken the chance, but with responsibilites and current climates, I know that wouldn't have been great, although I suspect it's a leap I may have to take at some point in order to find work outside of a school....?

Anyway, sorry, thanks for listening!

8. Would your union be able to advise?
    (I broke contract last year, but requested permission beforehand from the Head, and my request was granted, iyswim)
    And no job to go to, apart from a bit of supply/CS work.

9. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I'm in same situation
    Trying to work out if continuity of service and pension are worth it
    I did walk out of a teaching job some years ago when I was subject ot bullying.
    I did supply/part time maternity cover, but ended up very poor. Supply has dried up nowadays due to use of unqualified staff to cover classes, so even that option is unrealistic.
    Outside of teaching, there are very few unskilled jobs that pay enough to live on.
    Keep your eyes peeled for teaching jobs - any that want people for September are going to have a limited number of applicants, I guess. I'm going to apply for a couple this weekend

10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

You'll be burning your boats if you do this, that in the future you may find you need again. It's not that long if you do give notice and you'll know the end is in sight.
    Also I've always found it easier to get a job when you have a job rather than explaining why you ended up without one and needing another.

11. Half a term is the notice period, so you could get a job and resign with effect from the October half term. A new school that really wants you will be willing to wait half a term or try and spring you from your current job.

12. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Don't think the previous post is correct.

However you are feeling, do not put yourself in the position of leaving without a reference. End of term very close, enjoy the summer ( getting paid) ignore everything about school, write your letter of resignation and date it say the end of the third week back, once written enjoy your summer holiday knowing that your stay next year will be only one term. This will give you some thinking time.