1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Breaking into part-time admin

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by MontelP, Feb 13, 2020.

1. MontelP

MontelP New commenter

Hey, I'm an early 20's recent graduate with an Ordinary degree (rather than Honours) and looking to break into part-time admin within education, I fell in love with some tutoring I did whilst at uni and now would love to get into education.

At the moment though, I'm having trouble hearing back from any schools I've applied for. I just wanted to know if anyone had any tips for getting this kind of role and if I was the right type of candidate for this position. I have HR experience from 4 months spent in Malta, where I set up a new HR system for a hotel and completed many day-to-day tasks surrounding onboarding and admin. I worked as a secondary school mentor for my university at the end of my studies and gave induction presentations to interested college candidates, both of which I excelled in, And have further experience in customer service, database management and administrative process'. With a solid written reference from a university lecturer and a plan to get another from my supervisor in the tutoring role.

I feel like I would be great for this kind of role but also feel like my age and qualification might be holding me back. Is this all in my head? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? I understand finding work takes time but I don't want to keep filling and sending out applications if they're going to be overlooked every time. Would love some feedback on this and of course any tips on finding that perfect role.

Thanks

2. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

Hello - I feel bad that no one answered your post so thought I'd say hi! This probably isn't the best website to post on, as most people on here are work in the education side of teaching (teachers, TAs, management) and therefore have no idea how to get admin jobs - totally different thing!
    I don't see why your age or qualification would hold you back. At my last school, the school secretary was a qualified London lawyer looking for a role to fit around her young family! I would say maybe get someone to look at your CV, make sure you tailor your covering letter to your role each time, and keep trying. Good luck!

Lalad likes this.