1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Breaking into an international teaching position.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by lottiebaker2012, Jan 20, 2019.

1. lottiebaker2012

lottiebaker2012 New commenter

Hi all,

Looking for any advice on how to break into teaching abroad.

My husband, Geog teaching 15+years, state and private, now housemaster, previous HOD.

Myself NQT Geog background in sales and marketing, LSA qualifications.

2 children 11&8.

We want to go abroad. ABU Dhabi or Asia. Willing to go out and just my husband step down to teach geog then build up.

Joined agencies, applying when we see anything.

It seems like a secret, faceless society.

Any advice?

2. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

The only real advice is to apply for jobs that you see. Look on the TES, consider signing up with search, I think there are other sites as well but can't remember off the top of my head. I believe it's fairly late in the day for posts starting 2019 but not over yet.

You may encounter the slight issue where you both teach the same subject, it's possible it might be that there are two vacancies for geography in one school but equally it maybe that one of you gets a job first and the other then starts looking in the same location.

Good luck!

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Just Keep going, there is no secret to getting an international job. I would suggest you try to diversify your teaching as not many schools require 2 geography teachers at once.

Good luck!

yasf likes this.
  4. lottiebaker2012

lottiebaker2012 New commenter

Thank you for replies. My husband has experience in History, Maths and qualified sports coach. Myself SEN and History. With the salary they are offering though we could go out on 1.

Late in the day. Before Christmas there was hardly anything. It seems like the busiest time now.
    Thank you for the replies.

5. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

If your husband can push maths (plus sports) and you push humanities, it's possible.

With two primary age children, make sure you are happy for them to join the school: do your research.

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

lottiebaker2012, the standard procedure is to contact a large and smelly hippopotamus. Send the pachyderm one of those silly TES Conversation things.

Yes, the world of international education can seem a bit strange and confusing. We all had to start somewhere.

Actually, I think that I will send you a Conversation. That might be easier.

ChanChan123 likes this.
  7. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

I don't think there is a secret, you just have to apply for as many as possible to get your foot through the door, I applied for lots for my first post, got plenty of rejections, just be preapred that your first job might not the ideal place or your dream job, my first international job was in the Middle East, which wasn't great, but it allowed me to get experience of the MYP and IB curriculum and that made it easier to get jobs on the international circuit.

8. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Definitely go on the Maths side, as this is the more difficult to recruit for - like others, I very much doubt that you'll find a school with two Geography vacancies. I would also suggest looking at some of the so-called "rent a name" schools which offer boarding options, as your husband's housemaster experience will be a draw for them (don't believe everything you read on these forums about them - they are not all bad, just do the usual research.)

Your own marketing experience might also be useful too - if your husband gets a job first, it might be that you're offered something in the marketing team, especially because you are a teacher.

9. Bentley89

Bentley89 Occasional commenter

If you're open to the less desirable places such as Kuwait and similar, they're desperate to recruit in just about every subject. The only competition is to get in to the good schools within the sh*thole countries.

Join LinkedIn, email all the international recruitment agencies and apply direct via TES and eTeach International. TeachAway is also a good one.

Happy to give advice if wanted. Good luck!

10. teachersn

teachersn New commenter

Just keep applying seems to be the general message. I am in the same boat - I want an international job and have been applying for posts but no luck.. not even an interview. Would love to know what the secret formula is to get recognised!

11. Goodsis

Goodsis New commenter

Hi,
    I am an Indian and I know I won't get a job abroad (ie outside India) where I can teach my subject -- English Literature.
    Can I pick up any more skills on the way? I have sent out 20 applications in the last 4 months and got no callbacks. I have experience in Theory of knowledge and done Extended Essay supervision for English.
    Any advice is welcome. ps I am an IB English teacher.
    Thank you
    Priya

12. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

@Goodsis what's your degree and teaching qualification? It's possibly more difficult to get a job from India, but far from impossible.

13. Booker_d

Booker_d New commenter

Probably not much help to you at the moment but things will get easier when you get yourself into the circuit. You start to make contacts, you hear things through word of mouth and most importantly you understand what the schools are looking for.

As others have said, just keep applying. Something will come up. It might not be your first choice school but it will open doors for you for the future and it is so worth it.

All the very best of luck.

14. Bentley89

As dreadful as this sounds, most British international schools want white, English native speaking nationals (British, American, South African, Australian, New Zealand, Canada etc). Some will go as far as wanting to employ predominantly white males, as sadly, certain races in certain parts of the world (such as the Middle East) only want this type of person teaching their children.

Racism is a massive issue everywhere you go, but especially in the Middle East and Eastern Europe.

15. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Sadly, I must agree with Bentley89. As readers of my blog will know, the racism in Qatar is pretty horrible. As an international teacher, I hope that I can be a small catalyst for change, but in reality I think that our impact is very limited.

Bentley89 likes this.
  16. Bentley89

It sickens me what I see here. I go out of my way to make an extra effort for the persecuted races, but it really is just a drop in the ocean...

17. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

Is it still the case in Doha that in a supermarket you are expected to push into a queue ahead of an Indian, and an empty checkout for Qataris?

18. james_1979

james_1979 New commenter

Where on earth did you here from? Which racist expat who didn't go to an exclusive private school did you hear that from?

It is hilarious how western international teachers get their "affluent--I-speak-English" coats on during their expat lives. Yet the truth... Well... Their accents pretty much reveal it all.

19. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

Do you mean hear?

I got it from the time I spent living and working in Doha.

20. james_1979

james_1979 New commenter

Yes, spelling does take a hit after half a bottle.

Racism is still evident but not to tha bee-hay-veeyor you had. Do they still cut inline? Yes.. Do they still speak with sheer arrogance ordering a pizza they shouldn't be? Yes... Do they cause driving accidents and then blame you? Yes.

Despite all the reporting. The economic crisis has hit. More and more locals are doing their own shopping with their shopping lists. Year 2022 and beyond will be interesting. It will never be Dubai.

Mmmm... The Romans, Egyptians and Persians used to rule the world. Those who used to rule the ancient world had their own undoings. The Shard, Canary Wharf and the FTSE don't make that much money to support the expensive outgoings of their welfare handouts.